AFLX 2019 , Buddy , Danger , Dusty , Fyfe captains 50k payday

Remove this Banner Ad

Nobody thinks about State Of Origin beyond typing the words. Victoria wins. There is no contest. It made perfect sense before the AFL formed, but it's pointless now. People need to learn to let it go.
You can say whatever you want about AFLX, but it's something different, the best players will be involved and it only takes up one day of the AFL calendar.
I reckon you’d find 22 fairly handy West Aussies.. I agree it’d be hard to form a competitive tournament out of all the states but it’s still worth a shot given the alternative..

It’s just the gimmicky nature of AFLX.. I reckon I could get behind a similar team fantasy selection policy, with normal AFL rules instead.. An “All Star” weekend if you like.

Or alternatively.. a Vics vs the rest type scenario that we had for a single game a few years ago.. but expanded into a bit of a tournament to include more players..

AFL just overthinking this whole thing and trying too hard to make something out of nothing.. Our sport is fast paced enough not to need a shorter or more exciting format.. Just a solid preseason tournament that is competitive.

Nobody thinks about State Of Origin beyond typing the words. Victoria wins. There is no contest. It made perfect sense before the AFL formed, but it's pointless now. People need to learn to let it go.
You can say whatever you want about AFLX, but it's something different, the best players will be involved and it only takes up one day of the AFL calendar.
I don't believe you unless Jack Watts is drafted.

Wow.... as of 2pm today a ticket sales of only 6,238 tickets have been sold for AFLX!

Good, maybe they will scarp this s**t idea. I don't want my players in it and I really don't want to see any players from any other teams cop an injury playing it.

Ok, So Ive never been a fan of this AFLX concept, but seeing as I'm not part of the target demographic the AFL was pushing for here, I didn't have any issue with the concept itself. Its not for me, thats fine.

I understood, and even didn't dislike the idea that this was a game that they could take international and play in countries with rectangular fields and possibly build up an international following.

Then it seemed to have moved away from that to this latest 'big-bash' idea where bright lights and lots of excitement can capture the audience of children for 5minutes, and thought the AFL had found another stream of supporters, and that his idea could work well in NSW/QLD with all the rugby fields. AFL is hard to explain, but its doable.

But what the hell is it now? Explaining AFL to a foreigner is already hard enough as is. But now its like "if you kick it through the big sticks its 6 points, unless its touched then its 1 point, but if you kick it from behind the "launch zone" its 10 points, and if you kick it from behind the launch zone, and someone marks it in the "forward zone" and kicks it thats also 10 points, but then in the last 5minutes of the game, one player will become the "Gatorade Game-Changer' and if he kicks it it is worth double. Also this will happen once a year and by the time it comes around again it will look completely different, so dont bother remembering any of this after the game".

What kid is going to grasp all this in one night and be able to follow along, who doesn't already have an understanding/follows of the AFL? And if they already follow the AFL, thats not really growing the game is it?

And this all comes to us from the minds that are in charge of the rules of our great game. :eek:

Ok, So Ive never been a fan of this AFLX concept, but seeing as I'm not part of the target demographic the AFL was pushing for here, I didn't have any issue with the concept itself. Its not for me, thats fine.

I understood, and even didn't dislike the idea that this was a game that they could take international and play in countries with rectangular fields and possibly build up an international following.

Then it seemed to have moved away from that to this latest 'big-bash' idea where bright lights and lots of excitement can capture the audience of children for 5minutes, and thought the AFL had found another stream of supporters, and that his idea could work well in NSW/QLD with all the rugby fields. AFL is hard to explain, but its doable.

But what the hell is it now? Explaining AFL to a foreigner is already hard enough as is. But now its like "if you kick it through the big sticks its 6 points, unless its touched then its 1 point, but if you kick it from behind the "launch zone" its 10 points, and if you kick it from behind the launch zone, and someone marks it in the "forward zone" and kicks it thats also 10 points, but then in the last 5minutes of the game, one player will become the "Gatorade Game-Changer' and if he kicks it it is worth double. Also this will happen once a year and by the time it comes around again it will look completely different, so dont bother remembering any of this after the game".

What kid is going to grasp all this in one night and be able to follow along, who doesn't already have an understanding/follows of the AFL? And if they already follow the AFL, thats not really growing the game is it?

And this all comes to us from the minds that are in charge of the rules of our great game. :eek:

Interesting post with some well reasoned thoughts but probably could have covered it in less words:

Nobody is interested in this giant AFL folly. Just stop wasting our time.

I disagree. I think for the last 5 or so years WA would give Victoria a run for it's money.

WA's spine would consist of the best two key forwards in the game - Kennedy, Franklin - the best two backmen - Rance, McGovern and two of the best ruckman in the game in Nic Nat/Ryder/Sandilands.

Victoria of course has a plethora brilliant midfielders, but you can't play them all in the same side. A midfield of Fyfe/Cripps/Mitchell/Yeo and outside players for balance, your Hills etc. would more than hold it's own.

The problem is, no one cares about the all stars and it's never going to happen, but a WA/Victoria/SA comp every few years would be great fun.

Now AFLX......phwoar it's as if the AFL is parodying itself. Like one of those crazy ideas in the 80s that you could chalk up to rampant cocaine use.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I didn't think this could get more stupid. How does this thing keep getting worse and worse?
The "Gatorade Game-Changer"? Double points? The "Launch Zone"? Like why even bother at this point? Just put in multiball and trampoline 50m zones and have done with it.
I am simultaneously glad that only 6000 people have signed up for this garbage, and disappointed that it's that high.

I've said it before: CricketMAX. This is CricketMAX.

Last edited:
Wow.... as of 2pm today a ticket sales of only 6,238 tickets have been sold for AFLX!
How do you know?

Going by Fyfe's insta story, he has a bunch of names on his list to potentially choose. Shuey one of them from Eagles. Pendles. Sloane. Rance. A bunch of others.

How do you know?

Going by Fyfe's insta story, he has a bunch of names on his list to potentially choose. Shuey one of them from Eagles. Pendles. Sloane. Rance. A bunch of others.
Oh, *please* can Pendles pull up tomorrow morning with some "general soreness" that coincedentally gets better on the 23rd...

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-02-06/aflx-jumpers-revealed-whats-your-favourite-look

Guernseys.

EDDIE Betts and his Deadly teammates will wear a jumper designed by Melbourne defender Neville Jetta in the upcoming AFLX tournament.

The four teams' respective jumpers have been designed to represent each team's strength ahead of the one-night event to be held at Marvel Stadium on Friday, February 22.

Jetta said he couldn't knock back the offer from Deadly captain Betts to take on the project.

"There is an Aboriginal story behind the jumper which recognises the respect for fire, which is deadly like the name, and represents speed just like the team," Jetta said.

"The logo also features a boomerang which demonstrates the particular skill that will be present within the team," Jetta said.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back