AFLX 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

I watched the whole thing and thought it was awful.

There's no point having the best players on the park if the intensity is that of a training drill. Literally any spud state league player could have made the zero pressure kicks and Joe the goose goals we saw on a pitch that's two kicks from full back to goal. The players also missed a lot of goals from close range as if they didn't care, just like that audience at the game didn't care.

There's no reason to support any of the teams either. No reason to get behind one over another. The concept needs to be linked to something people actually have an existing link to, like state of origin, AFL club, etc. The BBL may have stupid s**t in it but at least the teams are location based.

The whole point of AFL is it's about elite skill, athleticism, strategy and execution under pressure. That's what makes it interesting. In AFLX we aren't seeing any of that. There's no reason to have elite skills because the game is so open. You don't need athleticism because the field is small and the games short. There's no strategy. And there's no pressure.

It's stupid. Complete garbage
Yet I'm sure the AFL will label it an absolute success...if they haven't already

I watched the whole thing and thought it was awful.

There's no point having the best players on the park if the intensity is that of a training drill. Literally any spud state league player could have made the zero pressure kicks and Joe the goose goals we saw on a pitch that's two kicks from full back to goal. The players also missed a lot of goals from close range as if they didn't care, just like that audience at the game didn't care.

There's no reason to support any of the teams either. No reason to get behind one over another. The concept needs to be linked to something people actually have an existing link to, like state of origin, AFL club, etc. The BBL may have stupid s**t in it but at least the teams are location based.

The whole point of AFL is it's about elite skill, athleticism, strategy and execution under pressure. That's what makes it interesting. In AFLX we aren't seeing any of that. There's no reason to have elite skills because the game is so open. You don't need athleticism because the field is small and the games short. There's no strategy. And there's no pressure.

It's stupid. Complete garbage
Literally good players couldn’t kick let alone spuds.
I’d take that Fisher from Carltank though. He’s an eager beaver

Footy is horrible in 2019. Hopefully it can find it’s way back to the era of the 80’s and 90’s when key forwards would kick over 100 goals a season and zones and flooding was never considered a thing. Football is about being entertained, 80% of games are boring as bt s**t, I guess rthe summer heat has fried your brain.

The crap the NAB dishes up next week will be far worst than this stuff and then their will possibly be a handful of good entertaining games this season.

For your nostalgia sake, I hope it doesn't. 80% of games are boring forgettable affairs in every era of every sport. Most are just one team being superior to the other and just doing enough to win in relative comfort.

The AFL reasons for this never make much sense. First it's for overseas expansion, but then they play it in freaking Melbourne. Now it's for the kids, like Aussie rules football doesn't have any kids watching or participating in it.

They just need to admit it. They got $ signs in their eyes after the success of the Big Bash and wanted to do their own version. That's the only reason this stuff exists. What they fail to realise is BBL is still cricket, just in a shortened form, AFLX is a mishmash that doesn't resemble the actual product people are fans of.
The big bash makes sense because the fans love to see Sixes and Fours which makes it a fun slog fest.
The fans like the rough stuff in AFL which AFLX is completely devoid of. No wonder it has no appeal. No team to follow and no hard play is s**t.

The big bash makes sense because the fans love to see Sixes and Fours which makes it a fun slog fest.
The fans like the rough stuff in AFL which AFLX is completely devoid of. No wonder it has no appeal. No team to follow and no hard play is s**t.

Not only that but the one of the big things we love about the AFL is the big goals and marks. In AFLX they are treated like a non event, the ball is just back into play too quickly. I like seeing replays and the analysis of a certain play.

What the AFLX should look at is having a mixed game, given the lack of physical contact it would be a great opportunity to have men and women play together.

Anyone comparing AFLX to AFLW needs to pull their head out of their arse.

The girls play with passion and for each other and represent the clubs that we've all grown up barracking for (or against). Friday night's spectacle was just an ego trip/cash grab for the 50 or so players who played.

Notice how the AFLPA seem to be only about the top players since Floggs Creek boy took over? Biggest tosser in the game, except maybe Kane Cornes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back