News AFLX 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Well no matter where you fall on the love it or hate it spectrum, AFLX is on tonight and there are four Swans in action, and they happen to be four of our biggest and brightest stars so that alone makes it worth watching.

Let’s hope for no injuries!

Can someone please post a link to the team lists

Just turned it on. Darcy relentlessly saying "Joey" Kennedy is annoying me for some reason.

Pretty slick stuff with all these A graders playing together though.

I went against my own rule and turned it off, especially once it became abundantly clear that JPK and Aliir in particular didn't care to be out there.

To me that is just not our great game. You can't manufacture high scores by simply shortening the ground and adding points to each score based on who and where they were kicked from. The free-wheeling end to end play becomes exhausting once you realise you're secretly craving a sense of structure and the subsequent feeling of gusto when your team breaks through that structure. The quick succession of goals stops becoming exhilarating when it becomes clear just how easy they are to kick in this format.

It's just a reduced version of footy as we know it, one that's sucked all the great things out of AFL and turned it into a shinier, glossier product that will look great to nobody but the uninformed international audiences who don't know any other way. Sorry but no bueno.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I watched the practice game replay then flicked it on. I couldn’t watch anymore than 5 minutes. The game was lifeless.

Put it on briefly after watching a movie and the GF was on. Agree completely with the lifeless verdict. Boring circle work with barely a contest or tackle laid. Is the practise game replay still available to watch?

Put it on briefly after watching a movie and the GF was on. Agree completely with the lifeless verdict. Boring circle work with barely a contest or tackle laid. Is the practise game replay still available to watch?

All four quarters on the Swans website :)

I went last night.

The game was too fast. It really was a struggle to keep up with what was happening, especially since we didn't have the benefit of having the commentators tell us what was going on. The rules were confusing.

There were too many players on the field. It was a big jumbled mess of players in such a small field.

There were too many teams and subsequently it went for too long. 7.10 kick off and the grand final finished at 10.30. that's an hour's longer than a regular game with no real break. I lost interest and left around 9.

Mostly the crowd was good but still some flogs there yelling at the umpires and players they don't like. Come on guys it's not a real game. It's supposed to be a bit of fun. Don't take it so seriously.

Finally one positive note. There were plenty of Swans supporters there. Great to see so much red and white in the crowd. Everywhere I looked I saw another Swans fan.

I went last night.

The game was too fast. It really was a struggle to keep up with what was happening, especially since we didn't have the benefit of having the commentators tell us what was going on. The rules were confusing.

There were too many players on the field. It was a big jumbled mess of players in such a small field.

There were too many teams and subsequently it went for too long. 7.10 kick off and the grand final finished at 10.30. that's an hour's longer than a regular game with no real break. I lost interest and left around 9.

Mostly the crowd was good but still some flogs there yelling at the umpires and players they don't like. Come on guys it's not a real game. It's supposed to be a bit of fun. Don't take it so seriously.

Finally one positive note. There were plenty of Swans supporters there. Great to see so much red and white in the crowd. Everywhere I looked I saw another Swans fan.

Maybe that’s one of the core issues of AFLX. Does it want to be fun, or does it want to be an exhibition of our game at the highest level? Because frankly I’m confused. They bring out all-star teams so it will be of the highest quality, yet they’re mucking around on field, making gags with ball in hand, not really trying because of potential injuries/lack of investment, worried about being mic’d up for CH7. The result was a game that was no more skilful or intense than a regular AFL match. If I want to see elite players taking it seriously and playing elite footy, I will watch any home and away match. If I want to see players goofing around and stroking each other’s egos, I will watch one of those footy shows every weeknight. AFLX just awkwardly in the middle as a hybrid of fun and brilliance, but those two can’t go hand in hand.

I went against my own rule and turned it off, especially once it became abundantly clear that JPK and Aliir in particular didn't care to be out there.

To me that is just not our great game. You can't manufacture high scores by simply shortening the ground and adding points to each score based on who and where they were kicked from. The free-wheeling end to end play becomes exhausting once you realise you're secretly craving a sense of structure and the subsequent feeling of gusto when your team breaks through that structure. The quick succession of goals stops becoming exhilarating when it becomes clear just how easy they are to kick in this format.

It's just a reduced version of footy as we know it, one that's sucked all the great things out of AFL and turned it into a shinier, glossier product that will look great to nobody but the uninformed international audiences who don't know any other way. Sorry but no bueno.

It reminded me of the NBA vs college basketball. Let's change the rules to get as many points on the board as possible. Oh and blast tons of music and loud commentating during play.

I went last night.

It was essentially an all star type game. It's good to have it now since we've been starved of footy for months, so I watched. It's kind of like the AAF here. I love the NFL and watch as much as I can, but I haven't watched any AAF. I might watch if it was over the summer before the NFL starts though.

It reminded me of the NBA vs college basketball. Let's change the rules to get as many points on the board as possible. Oh and blast tons of music and loud commentating during play.

Still not as bad as GMBHDWKJFRFSEDOIDVONFD Stadium blasting "Danger Zone" every time Dangerfield kicked a goal in his first season at the Cats.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back