Game Day AFLX Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

If they just changed the stupid names to WA, SA, VIC, NSW, QLD and then had a captain from each state where that captain can only choose from that states pool of players. Suddenly, it's alot more interesting imo.

Yep, I thought WA, SA, Vic and All Stars, for the rest, keeping with four teams.

Then again, Danger for Vics would pick Hawkins with his first pick and we'd all be still having a WTF moment...

The AFL should bring back real state of origin instead of this. Cut the bye before the finals and they can have 2 byes during the year.

Pre-Season: 1 (Vic) vs 2 (WA) & 3 (SA) vs 4 (Allies). Winner of 1v2 goes through to Grand Final, Loser plays winner of 3v4
After Rd 8ish: Prelim Final; Loser of 1v2 vs winner of 3v4
After Rd 16ish: Grand Final; winner 1v2 vs winner of Prelim.

Give the players $20k appearance fee for each game and a $1 million kitty for the champions to split between players.
Alternatively they could move the bye from before the finals to before the GF and play the SOO GF that week.
The final standings from one year will then roll over to be the rankings for the next year.

Reckon you’re wrong on this one TT. With so many elite players playing it’s worth tinkering with to see if they can get a format that sells, which they might just be able to achieve.

Same. I think the tickets they had for sale went fast last night, because ticketmaster opened a whole lot more. I wouldn't be surprised if they get up to 30k there.

"A whole lot more"? They released two more bays. There literally aren't 30,000 tickets available for sale.

Reckon you’re wrong on this one TT. With so many elite players playing it’s worth tinkering with to see if they can get a format that sells, which they might just be able to achieve.

Nah, I'm with TT. I'll be shocked if this lasts into 2020.

Imagine as John Lennon sang, imagine AFL had originated with an AFLX type format with smaller fields and less players
then no one would be complaining because it's all we would have ever known. AFL football has been heavily influenced
in recent decades by other world codes and stealing ideals from other games, the world has got smaller. I loved the
Rugby Sevens competition at the recent Olympics and thought it was very watchable.

I picked my own AFLX team using the rule of only being able to select one player from each team and leaving out four
teams.

Defenders: Harris Andrews (Bris), Adam Saad (Ess).
Mids: Adam Treloar (Coll), Mark Blicavs (Geel).
Wings: Wayne Milera (Adel), Nathan Wilson (Freo).
Forwards: Charlie Curnow (Carl), Isaac Heeney (Syd).

Bench: Tim Taranto (GWS), Jack Gunston (Haw), Bayley Fritsch (Melb), Jayden Short (Rich),
Jimmy Webster (Stk), Elliot Yeo (WC).

Left Out- Bulldogs, Kangaroos, Suns and the Power.

Team: Sexual Chocolate would light up the pleasure dome.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The AFL should bring back real state of origin instead of this. Cut the bye before the finals and they can have 2 byes during the year.

Pre-Season: 1 (Vic) vs 2 (WA) & 3 (SA) vs 4 (Allies). Winner of 1v2 goes through to Grand Final, Loser plays winner of 3v4
After Rd 8ish: Prelim Final; Loser of 1v2 vs winner of 3v4
After Rd 16ish: Grand Final; winner 1v2 vs winner of Prelim.

Give the players $20k appearance fee for each game and a $1 million kitty for the champions to split between players.
Alternatively they could move the bye from before the finals to before the GF and play the SOO GF that week.
The final standings from one year will then roll over to be the rankings for the next year.

Pass. SOO is a wank concept.

Yep, I thought WA, SA, Vic and All Stars, for the rest, keeping with four teams.

Then again, Danger for Vics would pick Hawkins with his first pick and we'd all be still having a WTF moment...
Hey, that actually works with the current captains.

WA captain - Fyfe
SA captain - Betts
VIC captain - Dangerfield
All Stars captain - Riewoldt

That’s probably why you brought it up to begin with, but having those teams would have made this concept more interesting IMO.

Hey, that actually works with the current captains.

WA captain - Fyfe
SA captain - Betts
VIC captain - Dangerfield
All Stars captain - Riewoldt

That’s probably why you brought it up to begin with, but having those teams would have made this concept more interesting IMO.

I like the idea of SOO using something like AFLX....but I don't think you would need an "all stars" under this format

Lifting this directly from Hurling People Now, this is the mix of players NSW could chose from for instance.....

Back: Dane Rampe, Dougal Howard, Jeremy Finlayson, Jarrad McVeigh, Callum Mills, Matt Suckling, Sam Gilbert, Taylor Duryea
Mid: Isaac Heeney, Isaac Smith, Anthony Miles, Jacob Hopper, Daniel Howe, Kieren Jack, Harry Cunningham
Ruck: Jarrod Witts
Fwd: Tom Hawkins, Taylor Walker, Luke Breust, Todd Marshall, Jacob Townsend, Charlie Spargo

And assuming you blended with ACT you'd also have

Back: Phil Davis, Joel Smith, Logan Austin
Mid: Jack Steele, Aaron Vandenberg
Ruck: Ivan Soldo
Fwd: Josh Bruce, Harrison Himmelberg

You could even scrape together an international team if you used foreign born as the basis (basically the irish guys plus the likes of Cox, Allir, McGrath etc)

Rugby 7s shows that in smaller formats you can get away with competitive imbalance cos the game is over in 20 minutes

Edit: HPN have actually made the suggestion of an AFLX style SOO competition at the end of this article http://www.hpnfooty.com/?p=30128

Last edited:
I like the idea of SOO using something like AFLX....but I don't think you would need an "all stars" under this format

Lifting this directly from Hurling People Now, this is the mix of players NSW could chose from for instance.....

Back: Dane Rampe, Dougal Howard, Jeremy Finlayson, Jarrad McVeigh, Callum Mills, Matt Suckling, Sam Gilbert, Taylor Duryea
Mid: Isaac Heeney, Isaac Smith, Anthony Miles, Jacob Hopper, Daniel Howe, Kieren Jack, Harry Cunningham
Ruck: Jarrod Witts
Fwd: Tom Hawkins, Taylor Walker, Luke Breust, Todd Marshall, Jacob Townsend, Charlie Spargo

And assuming you blended with ACT you'd also have

Back: Phil Davis, Joel Smith, Logan Austin
Mid: Jack Steele, Aaron Vandenberg
Ruck: Ivan Soldo
Fwd: Josh Bruce, Harrison Himmelberg

You could even scrape together an international team if you used foreign born as the basis (basically the irish guys plus the likes of Cox, Allir, McGrath etc)

Rugby 7s shows that in smaller formats you can get away with competitive imbalance cos the game is over in 20 minutes

Edit: HPN have actually made the suggestion of an AFLX style SOO competition at the end of this article http://www.hpnfooty.com/?p=30128
The “All Stars” group is more to include Tasmanians like Riewoldt and Ben Brown as well as including other players not from NSW, VIC, WA and SA. If we just go with NSW, VIC, WA and SA, then someone like Riewoldt cannot participate.

The “All Stars” group is more to include Tasmanians like Riewoldt and Ben Brown as well as including other players not from NSW, VIC, WA and SA. If we just go with NSW, VIC, WA and SA, then someone like Riewoldt cannot participate.

I reckon just have Tasmania as well (and QLD, NT and "International)

You could get a serviceable team out of these...

Back: Jimmy Webster, Liam Jones, Jake Kolodjashnij, Kade Kolodjashnij, Aaron Hall, Lachlan Weller, Tim Mohr, Alex Pearce, Jeremy Howe
Mid: Mitch Robinson, Hugh Greenwood, Jackson Thurlow, Jesse Lonergan, Maverick Weller, Robbie Fox
Ruck: Toby Nankervis, Andrew Phillips
Fwd: Ben Brown, Jack Riewoldt, Brody Mihocek, Josh Green, Tom Bellchambers

I guess I am not a fan either as I will watch AFLX and I sort of like seeing Swans players playing with some of the best players in the competition.
Yeah I'm with you, Tippa running around with Eddie and Shaun Burgoyne is great for him. And then Andy McGrath training a long side Danger for a week will only be beneficial as well.

Yeah it will. If it was so successful they would've kept it as a club thing, fact is clubs don't want it so the AFL resorted to this cheap get up, it will be canned and rightfully so.

The players definitely want it, so if it gets good ratings there's no reason to get rid of it.

I reckon just have Tasmania as well (and QLD, NT and "International)

You could get a serviceable team out of these...

Back: Jimmy Webster, Liam Jones, Jake Kolodjashnij, Kade Kolodjashnij, Aaron Hall, Lachlan Weller, Tim Mohr, Alex Pearce, Jeremy Howe
Mid: Mitch Robinson, Hugh Greenwood, Jackson Thurlow, Jesse Lonergan, Maverick Weller, Robbie Fox
Ruck: Toby Nankervis, Andrew Phillips
Fwd: Ben Brown, Jack Riewoldt, Brody Mihocek, Josh Green, Tom Bellchambers
Are those all Tasmanians? Wow, that is a lot of players

Remove this Banner Ad

Back