AFLX Is coming

Remove this Banner Ad

It'd be pretty ingenious tbh.

Even for just one round.

BBL will be over as well.

Quite likely that the stand off is actually around foxtel wanting (even thinking they are entitled to) exclusive access rather than neither 7 or foxtel wanting to show it though

Had a look at the rules for AFLX.
The AFL putting the rules they haven't got the nuts to introduce into the season proper into AFLX.
We will all be conditioned slowly.
just like they did from 2000-2004 with the preseason cup. have the media praise a certain rule, then introduce it into the season.

end of the day, its so they can reduce airtime to appease the networks (just as the NBA have done)

not sure what we are looking for but it is no doubt a lot more than Gill mc laffin is looking for over alll.

so are we all terribly terrific or else terribly substance deficient or else other wise dubiously of a contradiction.//

I'm surprised at the tone of a lot posts; I thought (wrongly I guess) that it was self evident that AFLx is designed purely to boost participation both in Australia (where there are loads of people who would love to play AR but are either too old or not fit enough, or time-poor to do it traditional way - in the exact same way people enjoy 6 a side soccer or indoor cricket)... and to provide a viable/legitimised format for expats and foreigners to get into abroad. Having the senior AFL teams participate in this little tournament is purely to formally promote and legitimise the format in order to promote it; its not a serious league format.

I'm way too old to play a full game of AR, but boy I would jump at the chance to play a game of AFLX here - and by making it ok to play on a soccer field, shorter time and less players required - that's now a real possibility. the AFL gets criticised (often rightly) in its poor custodianship of the wider game at grasss roots level, but this is really an fantastic thing its put its weight behind. There were several local variants of it emerging world wide (AFL9's et al) so it excellent that we get a standardised version (a version that will no doubt evolve in early years - but at least something that can be much easier played outside Australia too. I'd be surprised if the AFL has AFL teams playing this tournament in 3 years time, as by then it should have taken on a life of its own and be able to do with out being 'stoked' along at elite level. It is designed purely to be a grass roots level game.

All the reports from the intraclub trials of AFLX that I've read (GWS, Coll, Nth Melb, Geelong) seem to say it suits the quick players and allows talls to take big marks, but also rewards good clean ball use, and all report high scoring. Nothing stated about any congestion or rolling mauls.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All the reports from the intraclub trials of AFLX that I've read (GWS, Coll, Nth Melb, Geelong) seem to say it suits the quick players and allows talls to take big marks, but also rewards good clean ball use, and all report high scoring. Nothing stated about any congestion or rolling mauls.

Sounds like it rewards good ball users. For the Swans I would go with a lineup of something like

Franklin
Rohan
Grundy
Papley
McVeigh
Dawson
Heeney

I think that would be a good team for this format.

Sounds like it rewards good ball users. For the Swans I would go with a lineup of something like

Franklin
Rohan
Grundy
Papley
McVeigh
Dawson
Heeney

I think that would be a good team for this format.
Agreed that's a pretty decent side.

Leon Cameron has said that Scully, Ward and Whitfield are likely starters for GWS.

If the format is a success and well recieved by the public, I reckon for the next installment the AFL might be tempted to offer prizemoney and a proper finals series to determine an overall winner.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back