Opinion AFLX - Name your starting lineup

Remove this Banner Ad

This is gonna be on Fox Footy right?

Yep, although it's listed as "AFL Special Presentation" (or similar) in the electronic guide.

According to JMac on SEN earlier there will be another AFLX trial at Arden St today BTW.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I went from thinking its a bit of fun for some people even if I'm not fussed, to feeling uncomfortable about it. Same day as AFLW coaches were told being a more easily sellable product is more important than developing their players the way they choose to win games, AND same day as we hear that another old Tasmanian club is going under, AND same day as it's revealed the AFL paid an extra $25M to keep Gold Coast afloat (if leaky), it's all making me feel kind of ill.

I went from thinking its a bit of fun for some people even if I'm not fussed, to feeling uncomfortable about it. Same day as AFLW coaches were told being a more easily sellable product is more important than developing their players the way they choose to win games, AND same day as we hear that another old Tasmanian club is going under, AND same day as it's revealed the AFL paid an extra $25M to keep Gold Coast afloat (if leaky), it's all making me feel kind of ill.

I don't understand how any of those situations are related to AFLX.

That's it. Join the Dark Side where we (me and you) dissociate ourselves with the AFL organisation as much as possible.

Another scorching Melbourne day couldn’t deter the North Melbourne squad from partaking in an intense session full of match-sense drills and AFLX.

Heading onto Arden St just after 10am with the mercury already climbing past 26 degrees, the players began with a light warm-up jog in the morning sun.

070218_Gallery2.jpg

Gordon Narrier and Braydon Preuss warm up in the Melbourne sun.

The players followed up their light-run with some interval sprints and ball work.

070218_Gallery3.jpg

Declan Mountford escapes his Marley Williams shaped shadow.

070218_Gallery4.jpg

Cricket season is coming to a close, but that didn’t stop the Roos’ stars taking to the slips.

Match-sense drills and simulations were the order of the day, and once warmed up the boys split into two groups, adding a sense of friendly rivalry to the session.

070218_Gallery9.jpg

Defense coach Josh Drummond briefs the white team before the first of the match-sense.

Despite the heat, the session was full of intensity, and there were some intriguing contests, none more so than in the ruck.

Todd Goldstein and Braydon Preuss went head to head from the get-go, with the fierce battle too close to call.

The pair pushing each other all the way can only be good for the Roos’ prospects for the season.

070218_Gallery5.jpg

Braydon Preuss and Tood Goldstein in one of many closely-fought contests.

In the midfield, Ben Cunnington was impressive as ever at the stoppages, finding plenty of the ball and showing his determination and tenacity in the contest.

070218_Gallery6.jpg

Ben Cunnington looks to find a target after winning the ball.

Jy Simpkin has been increasing his involvement with the midfielders, and again looked comfortable in the role.

070218_Gallery8.jpg

Jy Simpkin finds Luke McDonald with a handball - while looking the other way.

Following the match-sense drills, the group split into four teams as the coaches marked out the rectangular AFLX field.

With the inaugural tournament just over a week away, the time was now players to put their hand up for the tournament.

In the first game, Billy Hartung was one of the standouts, with his supreme fitness and running ability seemingly a perfect fit for the modified format.

Hartung often found himself with plenty of space and his ability to burst forward was a real danger.

070218_Gallery10.jpg

Billy Hartung often found himself with plenty of space in the AFLX simulation.

While much has been made of Braydon Preuss and his ability to kick long in the format, Cameron Zurhaar’s accurate long-kicks could also see him in the frame for selection.

On more than one occasion Zurhaar backed himself to take on the ‘Zooper Goal’ attempt, with the kick on target more often than not.

070218_Gallery13.jpg

Cam Zurhaar winds up and kicks one his three 'Zooper Goals'.

The thought of a fit Mason Wood is enough to excite any North fan, and his promising pre-season continues to put him in good stead for round 1.

The athletic forward was again on the end of plenty of good work from the midfield brigade.

070218_Gallery11.jpg

Mason Wood takes a strong grab despite pressure from Robbie Tarrant.

Although he has only returned from injury in recent weeks, Marley Williams hasn’t a beat, popping up around the ground in the AFLX mini-game.

070218_Gallery12.jpg

Marley Williams kicks a major while the new game clock counts down.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back