Campbell
Urquhart
Warren
Hay
Calthorpe
Staritski
Urch
Watson

This team would adequately reflect the seriousness with which this comp should be taken.

No Robert Pyman?

I can't find if there is any radio or tv coverage. Does anybody know?

They haven’t been unlocked as playable characters yet. Pretty sure there’s a cheat code though.

Yep. Up, down, up, down, left...

I'll watch the first round involving North but only out of desperation to see some footy!!

Absolutely. Much prefer more JLT though as at least it's closer to a proper football game. Personally I'm on the record that I'd be happier to dump all 3 rounds and have up to 3 extra H&A rounds. Clubs should figure out themselves how to get players up to speed for Rd1 IMHO.

Absolutely. Much prefer more JLT though as at least it's closer to a proper football game. Personally I'm on the record that I'd be happier to dump all 3 rounds and have up to 3 extra H&A rounds. Clubs should figure out themselves how to get players up to speed for Rd1 IMHO.

It's so simple and so frustrating they don't do this.

Using this to model the 2018 season -
  • Season start 1st March
  • 1st 17 rounds - play all teams once then repeat fixtures against 1st 8 teams
  • The next season reverse the home/away fixtures for 1st 17 rounds, play repeat fixtures against different 8 from year 1. Miss out on playing 1 team twice in a season over 2 years. Whoopsy doo still better than the current setup.
If the league/AFLPA/clubs are concerned about fatigue in this arrangement then mandate utilising a certain amount of the list over the season or increase interchange size or cap for the 1st month to offset.

Finals schedule wouldn't have to move and the overall schedule is still 2-3 weeks shorter than the AFLX + JLT + regular season one.

It's so simple and so frustrating they don't do this.

Using this to model the 2018 season -
  • Season start 1st March
  • 1st 17 rounds - play all teams once then repeat fixtures against 1st 8 teams
  • The next season reverse the home/away fixtures for 1st 17 rounds, play repeat fixtures against different 8 from year 1. Miss out on playing 1 team twice in a season over 2 years. Whoopsy doo still better than the current setup.
If the league/AFLPA/clubs are concerned about fatigue in this arrangement then mandate utilising a certain amount of the list over the season or increase interchange size or cap for the 1st month to offset.

Finals schedule wouldn't have to move and the overall schedule is still 2-3 weeks shorter than the AFLX + JLT + regular season one.

Agree. I'd like to lengthen the lists slightly - having rookies able to play any game is a good start. Put the artform back into managing your entire list of available players rather than getting 6 injuries and the year is a write off. Would be open to having a limit on number of games a player could be played in the H&A if it was a major issue although I'd prefer to let the teams sort this out themselves. Some players are just more durable than others and shouldn't be removed just because for others it's too much workload. It would add even more to the art of managing a list. Teams might for example value a player like Sam Gibson more because of his durability and give him a longer career because he can get up easily for 28 games if need be. Alternatively with larger list sizes teams might pick up 2-3 extra mature mids to provide grunt over a longer season, or they may value additional pace and youth that they can inject 1 into the team every few weeks to add to their development or invigorate the playing group. Whatever but it would make things more strategic IMO.

Ideally we would find that extra game and have every team 3 times exactly over 2 years but my view is that any improvement towards equal H&A fixturing is a good thing. I'm not a fan of the current handicap fixture system because:

a) it's fricken stupid
b) it's not actually fairer
c) it makes it easier for poor teams to perform
d) we are supposed to be a competition not a cuddle fest

I don't think it's any coincidence that in the last 2 years we have had 2 teams pop up and grab the premiership that had poor years the previous (and fixture's to match). Teams should have equal opportunity to win each year and win off their own merits - not be penalised for finishing higher and rewarded for finishing lower.

BTW: On this last point this kind of system arguably is conducive towards tanking. A team that is struggling this year but knows / bets they will be better next year would arguably be better off doing worse this year both from a draft picks point of view and fixturing. As an example if Sydney knew they had Buddy Franklin locked in for the following year but weren't a chance this year...

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AFLX squad
1. Majak Daw
4. Shaun Higgins ©
9. Luke Davies-Uniacke
10. Ben Cunnington
11. Luke McDonald
12. Jy Simpkin
15. Paul Ahern
18. Shaun Atley
24. Sam Durdin
30. Jarrad Waite
31. Braydon Preuss
34. Jamie Macmillan ©
39. Billy Hartung
41. Gordon Narrier
44. Cameron Zurhaar

AFLX squad
1. Majak Daw
4. Shaun Higgins ©
9. Luke Davies-Uniacke
10. Ben Cunnington
11. Luke McDonald
12. Jy Simpkin
15. Paul Ahern
18. Shaun Atley
24. Sam Durdin
30. Jarrad Waite
31. Braydon Preuss
34. Jamie Macmillan ©
39. Billy Hartung
41. Gordon Narrier
44. Cameron Zurhaar

Surprised that Higgins would be risked, same with Waite I guess.

Strong squad

Ideally we would find that extra game and have every team 3 times exactly over 2 years but my view is that any improvement towards equal H&A fixturing is a good thing. I'm not a fan of the current handicap fixture system because:

a) it's fricken stupid

You won me over at 'A'.

BTW: On this last point this kind of system arguably is conducive towards tanking. A team that is struggling this year but knows / bets they will be better next year would arguably be better off doing worse this year both from a draft picks point of view and fixturing. As an example if Sydney knew they had Buddy Franklin locked in for the following year but weren't a chance this year...

That is us in 2018 and probably more so 2019.

Are we going to learn anything about our new kids from this weekend?

Will be interesting watching Majak on the smaller field.

Ahern, LDU, Narrier, Zurhaar, Preuss, Simpkin and Hartung. They all have their moments and will be ushered into AA mix BF style by the end of the match.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back