Autopsy AFLX Review - It...wasn’t bad?

Remove this Banner Ad

The void for people who want to play socially because they either don't want to commit to full training and games, or who can't anymore because it's too hard on their bodies. It looks like a fun option for those who want something less restrictive than 9s, but not as intense as full footy.

Since one of the original aims the AFL stated was to create a game that could be exported to areas that don't have cricket ovals, you'd have to think turning it into a community level sport is on the agenda.

More money for the AFL, everything else is just pissing into the wind.

More money for the AFL, everything else is just pissing into the wind.

Well yes, that's the fundamental reasoning behind every sporting body on the planet striving to increase participation rates in their sport - to create fans and ensure a constant production line of talent, both of which create money.

Auskick only exists for that reason too.

The void for people who want to play socially because they either don't want to commit to full training and games, or who can't anymore because it's too hard on their bodies. It looks like a fun option for those who want something less restrictive than 9s, but not as intense as full footy.

Since one of the original aims the AFL stated was to create a game that could be exported to areas that don't have cricket ovals, you'd have to think turning it into a community level sport is on the agenda.
If that's their intent then it needs to come back closer to the actual game. Otherwise it will end up like indoor cricket which is so far removed from traditional cricket that it just doesn't meet the design brief.

I don’t know what type of drugs these morons are on to actually believe the average AFL follower and Crow fan would be able to cope with some meathead arriving at the game thanks to a skateboard. Others equally bizarre as they entered. Now enter Dangerdick and then little Nataiefyfe. I was, as required by the AFL in awe of these monster sized egos known as AFL personalities. I became confused and overwhelmed as to why I would even contemplate watching the pile of feces known as AFLX. Dear oh dear what a shame!!!

Well yes, that's the fundamental reasoning behind every sporting body on the planet striving to increase participation rates in their sport - to create fans and ensure a constant production line of talent, both of which create money.

Auskick only exists for that reason too.

That's nice

i'm talking internationally not just here in Oz. Australia couldn't run a successful soccer league to save itself...male or female.

When you consider how popular soccer is in europe, women's soccer is hardly setting the world alight there either

Australian cannot run a "successful" soccer league because the game is not popular enough to achieve that

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's clear the current growth of juniors/millennials interested in the sport is waning.
In other words kids just aren't into the long 2hour+ games as they once were and if it doesn't change then the longterm outlook for our game is bleak.

I read something interesting recently about how millennials are into supporting and following particular players and superstars rather than a team as a whole. This has become evident in the american NBL example.

I have a feeling we're going to see a lot more changes and new ideas in our life time. In particular players who draw a lot of media attention will get even higher and higher salaries. Buckle in.

Now, I know this site likes to have a bit of a chinwag about how bad AFLX is, but I went to the game yesterday and here is what I think about it.

At first, I thought it was a disaster. The crowd weren’t into, the scoring was quick and I didn’t understand the rules about the super goals. However, once the first couple of games went by and I adjusted to the rules and the speed of the game, I actually started to really enjoy it. The players adjusted too and looked like they were having a lot of fun, the crowd (although admittedly still not a whole lot into the game) were doing Mexican waves and having fun too. A lot of the teenagers in front of me were getting pictures with the players boundary side and catching the balls that they were kicking into the crowd.

I cannot speak about the TV experience, but I had a lot of fun and I actually look forward to watching this format again strangely enough. The injury risks are not a great deal too since it’s fairly bruise-free.

You're 12 right?

It was mildly entertaining for an hour or so, probably because of the standard of player. My attention definitely waned. I think due to the lack of contest. Just looks like a training drill a lot of the time.

Also, was hard to listen to the commentary (as always). Not sure how Macmillan qualifies as "North Melbourne Star". When the average player is Callan Ward, blokes like that don't need to be hyped.

Wow, you are really broken since the tigers touched you up.
Fun fact - Kaymdyn McIntosh has more and will finish with more premiership medallions than Patrick Dangerfield.
I would suggest bringing in a 34 year old mercenary at the cost of a future young talent is more of a culture killer ;)
No sour grapes here about Richmond's rise! Am also an admirer of Hardwick and what he has been able to do there! I know you are just taking the piss but even though I was screaming out for Devon Smith who wanted to come to the Cattery in that trade period and I didn't like the idea of an Ablett return, I can also see how it benefits the Cats with regards to marketability!
11 flags >>>>>> 9. And you guys with a 44 year drought suggests one accepts it more than others. So the remark about actual success is deeply ironic.
Not when you consider that Richmond's success in 2017 was just a flash in the pan compared to the Cats over the past 4decades! I was referring to culture and going by what I just mentioned, the Tiges should need to do a lot more to convince supporters that they are cured of the disease that has plagued them over that period before 2017! I'm making the call now that they are ONE & DONE and that they will revert back to their previous sh!t culture coz you guys are too eager to kiss your team's arse regardless of performance!

No sour grapes here about Richmond's rise! Am also an admirer of Hardwick and what he has been able to do there! I know you are just taking the piss but even though I was screaming out for Devon Smith who wanted to come to the Cattery in that trade period and I didn't like the idea of an Ablett return, I can also see how it benefits the Cats with regards to marketability!

Not when you consider that Richmond's success in 2017 was just a flash in the pan compared to the Cats over the past 4decades! I was referring to culture and going by what I just mentioned, the Tiges should need to do a lot more to convince supporters that they are cured of the disease that has plagued them over that period before 2017! I'm making the call now that they are ONE & DONE and that they will revert back to their previous sh!t culture coz you guys are too eager to kiss your team's arse regardless of performance!

So for Geelong fans, 4 decades of 'success' = 3 flags?

We've been through what most Richmond fans would consider to be the worst periods in our club's history and we've still won 2 flags in the past 4 decades.

It's pretty clear which group is willing to accept mediocrity here.

It's clear the current growth of juniors/millennials interested in the sport is waning.
In other words kids just aren't into the long 2hour+ games as they once were and if it doesn't change then the longterm outlook for our game is bleak.

I read something interesting recently about how millennials are into supporting and following particular players and superstars rather than a team as a whole. This has become evident in the american NBL example.

I have a feeling we're going to see a lot more changes and new ideas in our life time. In particular players who draw a lot of media attention will get even higher and higher salaries. Buckle in.
What age do you mean by kids though? Not many kids under 8 or 10 have ever been too enthralled by a 3hr long period of sitting ever. I know I wasn’t.

Success over 4 decades? You had a 44 year flag drought then won 3 flags in a 6 year span and now have won one final in 5 years. And Richmond won theirs in an expanded comp.
you clearly aren’t old enough to remember a time when you were known as the handbaggers for a reason. So the culture remark is pretty funny coming from a cats fan. And interesting to hear Menzels comments comparing the culture of the swans compared to you guys ;)

Sent from my iPad using righteous Bhodi manpower

Success over 4 decades? You had a 44 year flag drought then won 3 flags in a 6 year span and now have won one final in 5 years. And Richmond won theirs in an expanded comp.
you clearly aren’t old enough to remember a time when you were known as the handbaggers for a reason. So the culture remark is pretty funny coming from a cats fan. And interesting to hear Menzels comments comparing the culture of the swans compared to you guys ;)

Sent from my iPad using righteous Bhodi manpower

What were Menzel’s Comments?

AFLX is an insult to the code.
Slap and giggle bull$h!t that achieves SFA.
More AFL money being pissed up the wall while suburban clubs go to the wall.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back