Votes: 42 12.3%
  • an abomination

Votes: 91 26.6%
  • bad, but could work with improvements

Votes: 29 8.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

batista-thumbs-down-gif-4.gif

See, I feel as if franchises are the only way to make it successful. I enjoyed the concept. I hope the local team I play for implements it into our training program because for fitness and skill execution it looks great. I found myself getting really into it on Friday night to the point where I was nervous when we were playing Melbourne.
However, the general public aren't going to get on board in their droves the same way I did if it remains a competition with 3 premiers, no prize, and no marquee players. It needs to be treated as unique as the concept of the game itself. Whether it's made up teams like the BBL have, or current teams having the option of offering short term AFLX contracts to other clubs players, something needs to be implemented to create interest outside of 'well technically my Hawks are playing even though Cyril, Mitchell, Roughie and Jager aren't'.

Perspectives will vary. Rip off the Big Bash by all means, but set up new 'clubs' to play in it. Don't make a travesty of the traditional clubs by having retired and/or suburban players pulling on the jumper for a gimmick.

I can see a bigger picture.

It seemed like a lot of fun. and if you make something fun, it sells.
Think of the Melbourne fans, who have seen their club win any sort of silverware for the first time since beating Geelong in the night grand final in 1989.
Think of those who played, who got no injuries and got a decent run into their legs. Their round one preparations have been assisted.

Needs to be more contested somehow.

As some have suggested perhaps bonus points for goals scored within 20m. Far harder to do that than outside non pressure zooper dooper goals from 40m+
I think goals should only be scored within the arcs, with no marks at all. Would make it more contested.

Less unashamed branding. Zooper goals are just ridiculous, you cannot take any competition seriously if one of the scores is officially named after a sponsor.

Speaking of the Zooper goals, make it either from 50m or from a mark only. 40m is such a middling distance it's not really much of an achievement for a professional afl player.

The ground size is ok, but it needs more players. The game is about winning contests but aflx just didn't have enough players to force contests. Too much congestion is bad but some is needed.

The last touch rule is an abomination. I watched my team smother and spoil its way to a flag, yet in this game the forward gets a free s**t on goal of the ball is spoiled away from him. Players got rewarded for having their kick smothered because the ball went out. Make it only from a kick or handball and it will be ok.

Do all those things and the game would entertaining as a preseason comp. The great thing about 20/20 is that the fundamental rules of the game are unchanged. Aflx just felt like a different game.

It needs a stop clock especially when the ball goes out of bounds as there are glaring opportunities for players to milk time off the clock. Eg. Fake a miss kick in after a score to milk 15 seconds.

Well not enough, but they still need to find a place in Sydney and QLD, good old Tassie. Swans have been in Sydney 35 years and still a lot of work to do. There’s a shedload to do here.

Europe and America are pipe dreams that will never happen. If most popular game in the world, soccer, can’t make much head way in America what hope our game. And frankly who cares.

Soccer isn't popular in America for two reasons:

1) They see it as weak because of the no contact
2) Theres not enough scoring.

Basketball gets away with no contact because of the amount of scoring, Hockey gets away with lack of scoring because of the contact.

The day private ownership and franchises come to the AFL, in any format, is the day the comp will cease to exist as we know and love it.

How long til the AFL are selling our own clubs off to medalling millionaires who only care about making a profit?

**** AFL X.

Like selling the Sydney Swans to Geoffrey Edelsten?

The absolute worst thing about it is the fact that Gill and his merry bunch of crazy generals think that this is the format to introduce football to the international market.

Maybe one day it will get through their thick skulls that international audiences don't give a rats arse about AFL football, and if they did, AFLx is not even close to the right way to market the games best elements

Might be a good format (with vast improvements) for kids or maybe even for the AFLW to increase skills and popularity there. Other than that I hope it dies a quick death in terms of senior AFL involvement

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It could wotk with recently retired players or legends playing for real not like ex players State of Origin thing. Kinda like IPL with some new traams and real cash prizes. Things are ao much better when its a serious competition

The absolute worst thing about it is the fact that Gill and his merry bunch of crazy generals think that this is the format to introduce football to the international market.

Maybe one day it will get through their thick skulls that international audiences don't give a rats arse about AFL football, and if they did, AFLx is not even close to the right way to market the games best elements

Might be a good format (with vast improvements) for kids or maybe even for the AFLW to increase skills and popularity there. Other than that I hope it dies a quick death in terms of senior AFL involvement
This. The desperation from AFL house to get his game palatable to an international audience is just pathetic and deluded. I cant believe supposedly smart highly paid people think they can make this work overseas. And more importantly, that its so high on the agenda when there is plenty of other issues they could and SHOULD be tackling.

Here are the suggested changes I made in the AFLX gameday thread:

The word ZOOPER needs to F right off. And also go easy on the advertising on the ground.

A few more players on ground (9 or 10) to create more tackles, bumps, smothers, small packs which high flyers can mark on top of - you know all the things that actually make AFL the best sport in the world, the things we actually want to be showing off to the world.

Maybe make it that you have to kick the goal from inside the 40, was boring watching players run it unhindered and potshot it nonstop as if it was something rare or special.

If they are so convinced in how dynamic and exciting the game is then stop doing interviews and shrinking the viewing window for a quarter of the match.

Find a better ground before showing it on national TV.

Get rid of the royal show broadcaster in the background, amateur hour.

If this is designed to have international appeal then BT can F right off too - let's keep the cringeworthy aussie our own dirty secret.

so high on the agenda when there is plenty of other issues they could and SHOULD be tackling.

Like tackling for a start.

A gimmick conceived by an organisation with too much money. They manufactured a problem so they could find a solution to it.

While we are on it, can anyone please explain the JLT Cup / Series ? It is neither a series, or have a Cup, and as best as i can work out, they are simply just practice matches that are organised by the AFL. The NFL is one of the biggest sporting leagues in the world (and one the AFL constantly tries to emulate) and they don't feel the need to create a faux series and name it after some random company. Why can't they just be practice matches, and where do i buy a JLT anyway :)

Back