Opinion AFLX - What do we think of this round robin pre-preseason experiment?

If we were to pick our best side what would it be? (Not that we would)

Betts
Jacobs, M.Crouch, Sloane, Gibbs
Laird, Talia
(Walker, B.Crouch, Lynch)
Probably not Sauce. Mobile tall.

If we were to pick our best side what would it be? (Not that we would)

Betts
Jacobs, M.Crouch, Sloane, Gibbs
Laird, Talia
(Walker, B.Crouch, Lynch)

No talls at all. Don't need endurance athletes either as the game is 20 minutes long.

I'd go for mostly elite ball users and pace. Can't see there being too many stoppages either so don't necessarily need inside winners.

I'd go

Betts McGovern
Sloane Gibbs Atkins
Laird Seedsman
(B. Crouch Milera Hampton)

If we need a tall, I'd go for Jenkins. Wouldn't play Walker, he'd be destroyed for lack of pace. Ditto Sauce and Talia. Maybe Lynch

mistylake

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Canadiens, Maroons.
Looks like the girls at
“girls play footy” Facebook, not too happy with the AFL for adding a bit of competition. Around the AFLW season.

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redbacks, Sturt, Liverpool, Arizona
Looks like the girls at
“girls play footy” Facebook, not too happy with the AFL for adding a bit of competition. Around the AFLW season.
If anything this junk will make people appreciate the AFLW more

John Who

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 16, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Looks like the girls at
Would be interesting to see which group comes out as the secondary "favourite".
Also, I think most teams would use this as a test run for the main season ie. doubt if any team would go really hard to win this AFLX competition. Most likely, we'd see a mixture of the regulars and the newbies.
I can see guys like Gallucci and Doedee having a test run in this comp.

Thetrader15

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 16, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Not sure why the need for it.
T20 was introduced because test and 50 over cricket became boring.

7s was introduced to increase scoring as Union has very few tries.

AFL isn't boring, and there are plenty of scoring. The more scoring, less exciting when someone kicks a goal.

The problem with the preseason is not the game, it's the scheduling and the fact it's not on tv. I love seeing the young players run around, but it will be less appealing than the international rules rubbish

Nov 24, 2007
DTC Frat House
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Team Lambda Variant
Maybe we should use a round ball too.

just to make it a bit trickier, they should not let anyone use their hands

except maybe one guy, who has to protect the goals

maybe call that guy the goalstopper or something

Apsaalooke

Premiership Player
Sep 23, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, Ozark Mountain Daredevils
I believe it's about promotion of the sport and expanding into other countries. Most sporting countries would have rectangular grounds for soccer (most prominent sport in the world).
Think you’re right. Might be a launching pad for India, China or the US but can’t see it working other than as a novelty

John Who

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 16, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Think you’re right. Might be a launching pad for India, China or the US but can’t see it working other than as a novelty
It's a 2-fold plan:
1. To get the hybrid sporting lovers curious/interested. Mainly for overseas observers, most likely.
2. They might adopt it as a sport overseas, or if not, it might help to increase overseas interest in AFL in Australia.
I made the observation this concept is similar to a T20 concept. It's mainly to help keep interest in the sport, or to introduce new fans.

Rabman

Club Legend
Nov 22, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
North Adelaide, Arsenal.
I get the point of it at the grass roots level, the problem the game has now with the massive boom with women's footy is the availability of grounds for teams. I think i saw Gill have to go to schools and get permission to use there ovals to accommodate more teams. Not hard to convince principles in Victoria about this, NSW and queensland entirely different. There pathetic agenda against the sport is causing The AFL to look other ways of getting around it, this concept is one way to do it.

Thetrader15

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 16, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
just to make it a bit trickier, they should not let anyone use their hands

except maybe one guy, who has to protect the goals

maybe call that guy the goalstopper or something
That's a great plan. Maybe we can play with a round ball too so it's closer to international rules. Then let's do no tackling so it's free flowing.

That will be an awesome game!

Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide
That's simply a marketing ploy by the AFL to raise the profile of AFLX ........really for AFL clubs, it should be AFLX first, followed by JLT

AFL thinks the gap between completion of JLT and season will be too large for clubs to not play their best players in AFLX ........continued manipulation by the AFL of clubs & the Comp

Back