AFLX

Remove this Banner Ad

MacMum

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 6, 2007
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Details have been announced on the AFL website..

We play in Sydney on Feb 17...... tbh I'm not happy about this as I see it atm. Is this shortened game in place of the pre-season games? Or do we have to play them too?

Also these short whizz-bang games stuffed up cricket as far as I can tell. People have gone off cricket in a big way and it has happened since they bought in the other versions of the game. Don't want that to happen to our game.

Yep, not a big fan of it either at the moment, will reserve a full critique until it's been played though.

They are still playing the JLT pre season series but it is only 2 games MM.

I think there is less per team on a smaller field with the emphasis on speed. No ball ups so a pretty continuous game. I hope they allow a good amount of interchange to avoid soft tissue injury due to fatigue.Do not have much of an idea of the format so could be way off here.

It's a regular XFL.

5f30ba25d8e90d543d2453c16b525300.jpg

I think there is less per team on a smaller field with the emphasis on speed. No ball ups so a pretty continuous game. I hope they allow a good amount of interchange to avoid soft tissue injury due to fatigue.Do not have much of an idea of the format so could be way off here.

That's the impression I get.....and my biggest worry for injuries.....players going at flat out speed banging and crashing each other doesn't sound healthy to me. We definately don't need any injuries to start the season due to their mickey mouse type game..

Let's just stick to normal pre-season games instead of adding to the risks already there.....Grr!

AFLX_infographic_v5.jpg

The injury issue bothers me a lot. Huge risk with no pay off for us and a lot of pissed off fans if teams lose players for the season.

Aflx seems to be conceptually like 20 20 cricket- generate media coverage and create another way of getting revenue. Should be done with players from the seconds leagues that don't currently generate revenue. Also means these players would get a chance to earn $$ and grow the market.

Surely nobody will play a strong team. Does Fagan coach?

Do we have a training squad for this?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The injury issue bothers me a lot. Huge risk with no pay off for us and a lot of pissed off fans if teams lose players for the season.

Aflx seems to be conceptually like 20 20 cricket- generate media coverage and create another way of getting revenue. Should be done with players from the seconds leagues that don't currently generate revenue. Also means these players would get a chance to earn $$ and grow the market.

Luckily no-one remotely best 22 will take to the field!

Like the preseason games, it will be a youth cup. The AFL should have had the foresight to make it under 21 or something. Take the tanking focus out of it, and cater to the target audience - young fans. Would love the chance to see the future.

If we risk the likes of Zorko or Beams in this micky mouse contest...
How many players does a club need to send?

Can we start with players from the bottom of our list?

I guess the counter point is, how many teams in past years have risked their best players in preseason games or intra club matches? At the end of the day, need all your players fir for round 1.

How many players does a club need to send?

Can we start with players from the bottom of our list?

I guess the counter point is, how many teams in past years have risked their best players in preseason games or intra club matches? At the end of the day, need all your players fir for round 1.

Fitness building is important yeah, usually with the 3 preseason games we leave our best 22 till the last game.

Reckon the AFL will force each club to have a few good players to play as trickster said

Reckon The old 'General' out ranks the AFL from forcing those few good players from playing...

Edit: 'general sorness'...Still, on the other hand, hard for someone to argue that players, that have played a few senior games but would be considered not in a regular season starting 22 selection, like in our case Bell, Bewick, Cox, Paparone, Eagles, Smith, Frost, etc... aren't those few good players.

Last edited:
Reckon the AFL will force each club to have a few good players to play as trickster said

Even then there’s a problem

Exactly how are they going to define “good” players?

Maybe they’ll demand say 5 players with 50+ AFL games to line up in each side.

And what are they going to do about it if one or more of them withdrraw at the last moment with good old “hamstring awareness”

I think it’s going to be a pretty tricky task for them to enforce a certain “player quality” because there are always going to be loopholes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back