Africa - Tanzania, Zimbabwe, Kenya, Rwanda

Remove this Banner Ad

You might be able to get into Wakanda atm.
I hear they’re opening their borders.
However, with such change, comes conflict.
A war might break out soon.

In all seriousness, no. Havnt bee. On the to do list though.

nobbyiscool

Cancelled
WWE Board Goosed Sweet F.A Sikh Volunteers Charity Match Tasmanian Team NFL Fantasy Comp Champion Armchair Endzone Major Comp Champion
Aug 11, 2006
Zimbabwe is amazing. Spend as much time there as you can. As I've said elsewhere on this board, I planned to spend 3 days in Vic Falls, and extended the stay (and paid a s**t ton to change a flight and hire a car) so I could stay an extra 4 days and see more of the country.

Make sure you go to Victoria Falls. You just get a visa when you get to the airport - make sure you spend the extra ~$10-15US and get the joint Zimbabwe/Zambia visa. The accommodation and "tourist experiences" at Vic Falls are expensive as * anyway, so the extra few bucks is fine, and gives you a few options if you want to cross the bridge and see the Zambian side. (Take lots of US$ - you can legally use something like 11 currencies in Zimbabwe, but most places want US dollars or Sth African Rand, and you pay a premium to use Rand.)

Vic Falls is essentially the border, so the views are in Zimbabwe, and the falls themselves are in Zambia.

If you're only ever planning to go once, go in the wet season. I don't remember exactly when the wet season is, but I was there in March, and I'm now hoping to go back in October(ish) this year or next to go during the dry season.

For me, seeing the full force of the falls in wet season is life changing. But in the dry season, when the water only trickling over the falls, you can sit in Devils Pool - a little rock pool that allows you to peer over the falls. That's how incredible Victoria Falls was - as a pretty inexperienced traveller, I'm prioritising going to Zimbabwe for a second time before I see another 15-20 countries that I have on my list.

I didn't get to Harare, but I got to Bulawayo, and will try to go to both cities if/when I get back there. It's not at all what I expected. It's not arid desert at all - it's green, it's beautiful, and it's almost the cliche you see in travel books/docos where you have to stop the car to let a few elephants cross the road.

The Zimbabwean people were also beautiful, and the country is only going to keep getting better, more stable, and more secure with the changed political situation. Like many parts of Africa, you have to be careful, and you have to be on high alert - but I frequently say to people that southern Africa is pretty safe if you aren't a *in idiot. If you have half a brain, you'll get a sense/gut feel for things, and you'll avoid situations that you'd avoid in any other city in the world, and I reckon you'd be fine.

The only really dangerous thing I felt in my 7 days in Zimbabwe? Be really careful of is if you drive. The roads there are, in some cases, ******* terrifying.

Dec 29, 2000
AFL Club
Adelaide
Zimbabwe is amazing. Spend as much time there as you can. As I've said elsewhere on this board, I planned to spend 3 days in Vic Falls, and extended the stay (and paid a s**t ton to change a flight and hire a car) so I could stay an extra 4 days and see more of the country.

Make sure you go to Victoria Falls. You just get a visa when you get to the airport - make sure you spend the extra ~$10-15US and get the joint Zimbabwe/Zambia visa. The accommodation and "tourist experiences" at Vic Falls are expensive as **** anyway, so the extra few bucks is fine, and gives you a few options if you want to cross the bridge and see the Zambian side. (Take lots of US$ - you can legally use something like 11 currencies in Zimbabwe, but most places want US dollars or Sth African Rand, and you pay a premium to use Rand.)

Vic Falls is essentially the border, so the views are in Zimbabwe, and the falls themselves are in Zambia.

If you're only ever planning to go once, go in the wet season. I don't remember exactly when the wet season is, but I was there in March, and I'm now hoping to go back in October(ish) this year or next to go during the dry season.

For me, seeing the full force of the falls in wet season is life changing. But in the dry season, when the water only trickling over the falls, you can sit in Devils Pool - a little rock pool that allows you to peer over the falls. That's how incredible Victoria Falls was - as a pretty inexperienced traveller, I'm prioritising going to Zimbabwe for a second time before I see another 15-20 countries that I have on my list.

I didn't get to Harare, but I got to Bulawayo, and will try to go to both cities if/when I get back there. It's not at all what I expected. It's not arid desert at all - it's green, it's beautiful, and it's almost the cliche you see in travel books/docos where you have to stop the car to let a few elephants cross the road.

The Zimbabwean people were also beautiful, and the country is only going to keep getting better, more stable, and more secure with the changed political situation. Like many parts of Africa, you have to be careful, and you have to be on high alert - but I frequently say to people that southern Africa is pretty safe if you aren't a ****in idiot. If you have half a brain, you'll get a sense/gut feel for things, and you'll avoid situations that you'd avoid in any other city in the world, and I reckon you'd be fine.

The only really dangerous thing I felt in my 7 days in Zimbabwe? Be really careful of is if you drive. The roads there are, in some cases, ******* terrifying.

Thanks - now looks like a group of us will be going for a mates 50th Birthday.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back