Resource After a year at AO, what's good and bad about your seats?

Remove this Banner Ad

Mongster1

Rookie
Nov 1, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
So, we've had our first year at the AO, what's good and bad about you seats? My family had 3 seats in Level 3 of the Eastern Stand. The view was fantastic but I'm still wondering whether it'd be nice to change where we sit next year for a bit of fun- could be tricky I know. I tried out a few different seats during the SANFL finals and found pros and cons for each of them. I know there is hardly a bad seat at AO,but I'm wondering whether you could tell us the story about your seats:

Our seats in Level 3 Eastern Stand:

Pros:
-Fantastic views both ends of the ground
-Incredible scene in the evenings with the sunsets behind the Western Stand
-Being even a few rows back meant cover from rain most of the time though- only got very slightly damp once and getting rained on has never been a big issue with me anyway
-Reserved seating meant no stress regarding arriving just before the game- I'm not sure I could cope again with Essential Membership- I'm getting less patient!
-Close to toilets and food

Cons:
-Maybe the play seemed to happen more on the other wing?
-The sun was and issue mainly with afternoon games early in the season when it was warm- definitely needed hat, sunglasses and sunscreen
-Slightly less atmosphere and noise- probably because Stadium Club were behind us, we were away from the cheer squad, and the noise seems to funnel down to the Southern end I think.
-No close room to escape for warmth and shelter- the William Magarey Room and Peter Carey/Neil Kerley Bars seemed definitely the places to get respite from the cold at night.
-Further from the Lindsay Head Terrace which is such a great place to hang out before the game

Have a good weekend!

IMG_5189-011 - Copy - Copy.JPG

Last edited:
Eastern stand, first level on the southern 50 metre line.

Pros:
-Great View of the majority of the ground
-Reserved seats as you said
-Can hear the players communicate
-The noise, you get all the people behind you and on higher levels right behind you.
-The match day entertainment got much better further into the year, enjoyed the first Potbeeleez show.
-Night games are AMAZING.
-Having Scott Thompson come up to us after the Collingwood win and give my little brother and I a solid high five and signing his Guernsey, he was so happy.

Cons:
-Not first row (Hoping to get them next year)
-The 'entertainment' at the start of the year, girl singing theme song...walking around with flag etc...so cringey.
-Sun in afternoon games right in your eyes
-Right next to the opposition race, same seats at footy park were next to the crows race
-No shelter but honestly I don't care if I get rained on, but early in the year it was significantly hotter in my area compared to under the shelter (obviously)
-Takes a while to leave
-Footbridge after the game
-Trying to catch the train home, did that twice and never again.

Last edited:
Members is oversold and hard to get a decent seat if you are late.

If you get there when the gates open and save a seat it's brilliant - other than the old nuff nuffs that dislike noise but you can probably find them everywhere!

I like getting in early and enjoying a beverage or 2 while soaking up the atmosphere so will continue with the AO membership. Port games aren't as much fun now they win though. Stood on the hill for the WCE game and enjoyed it everyone was having a great time pity the footy went south.

Good topic.

We had two reserved seats in Section 202, northern end of the Western Stand.

Pros:
- under cover
- only five seats in our row, as we were right next to a corporate enclosure, which meant no standing up for people to get past
- only two others in our row, so we had a spare seat next to us every game
- close to northern exit, so we could get away (reasonably) quickly once we were out of the stand
- not a bad view from the 50 meter mark

Cons:
- not much atmosphere, unless the corporate guests next to us were true footy supporters, and cheered with us
- view not as good as the one we had at AAMI Stadium, where we were right in the middle, above the interchange area
- lack of weather proofing around Western Stand. Never got wet going to food outlets or toilets at AAMI. Not so good at AO
- bottleneck getting out of the northern part of the stand. At least the rickety scaffolding staircase was replaced by a more solid ramp, but it was still slow going at the end of the game
- lack of any development at Northern exit - I understand (hope) this will be better next year

5th level of the Eastern, in the Jack Oatey stand. Row Y

Pros:
- Great view
- Under cover
- No sun in your face
- ability to watch the players and their set ups (great if we're losing and you're bored)
- Good people around us, no annoying nannas that don't like noise.

Cons:
- It's so high up - stairs :cry:
- We're close to the GA section of seats. Had a few obnoxious opposition fans. (But mostly good experiences)
- I cannot see the score - I wear glasses, so my vision isn't the best, need binoculars
- Getting out. Different days means different stairs are open - confusion

Good topic.

We had two reserved seats in Section 202, northern end of the Western Stand.

Pros:
- under cover
- only five seats in our row, as we were right next to a corporate enclosure, which meant no standing up for people to get past
- only two others in our row, so we had a spare seat next to us every game
- close to northern exit, so we could get away (reasonably) quickly once we were out of the stand
- not a bad view from the 50 meter mark

Cons:
- not much atmosphere, unless the corporate guests next to us were true footy supporters, and cheered with us
- view not as good as the one we had at AAMI Stadium, where we were right in the middle, above the interchange area
- lack of weather proofing around Western Stand. Never got wet going to food outlets or toilets at AAMI. Not so good at AO
- bottleneck getting out of the northern part of the stand. At least the rickety scaffolding staircase was replaced by a more solid ramp, but it was still slow going at the end of the game
- lack of any development at Northern exit - I understand (hope) this will be better next year

What's the situation with renewing your reserved seating in the Eastern Stand? Do you get to keep those seats automatically or do you have to reapply?

Essential Crows, wheelchair spots.

Wheelchair access is available all along level 1, basically in the walkway. There are also 2-3 seats each in sections 305 and 311. The wheelchair bays were scrapped in 303 and 313 as they had to restructure the stairs on level 3.

The wheelchair bays in 301 and 315 is poor as cameras are fitted in front of them.

View is great on level 3 and level 4, but atmosphere limited compared to level 1. Level 4 especially as that is all the guests from the chairman's function. Level 1 you are very close to the action, only 10 rows from the ground. Atmosphere from level 1 is fantastic.

Wheelchair toilet access from level 3 is perfect, literally right next to the entrance. No toilets on level 4 not great.
Toilets on level 1 aren't great either as you have to go down the tiny lift, or push across and go down the metal ramp. Obviously this was impossible when they the metal stairs instead.

Food availability in west stand probably the worst aspect.

Unsure what we're going to do next year, I'm actually considering AFL Membership with Crows support.

Level 4 v West Coast Eagles (Section 409)

15487529726_7e49b6e863_h.jpg

From level 3 v Collingwood (Section 305)

15507473671_dd82421371_h.jpg

From Level 1 v North (Section 107 behind the interchange)

15487480136_6f16cde175_h.jpg

15510657005_54e2cd2e4f_h.jpg

Last edited:
Last edited:
Members is oversold and hard to get a decent seat if you are late.

If you get there when the gates open and save a seat it's brilliant ....

Agree completely. Seriously considering switching to reserved seats in Western Stand for this reason. I have no issue with getting there a couple of hours early for most games, but the Thursday night game against the Pies I had to stay late at work. I ended up forking out extra cash for reserved seats for that game and the Showdown.

Agree completely. Seriously considering switching to reserved seats in Western Stand for this reason. I have no issue with getting there a couple of hours early for most games, but the Thursday night game against the Pies I had to stay late at work. I ended up forking out extra cash for reserved seats for that game and the Showdown.
I looked up on the club website on the seat change section, not sure if any reserved seats in western are left? Gave the option to change from essential crows unreserved to eastern and riverbank reserved. But no option for Western stand reserved?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bay 131 row d 4 rows from front, great crowd area, good view and get to heckle the opposition kicker if they are kicking from 50. Sun stinks, hopefully with a new coach they wont kick out to the western side all the time and I will see more action.:(
Hopefully upgrade to gold member next year but not sure.

Riverbank stand. 5th Level. Row 1.

Absolutely love it. So much better than my equivalent spot at AAMI.

Only downside is the seat next to the isle is close to the raised glass panel at the end of the isle which gets in your field of vision if the ball is close to the opposite point post.

R2KtnKd.jpg

Bay 131 row d 4 rows from front, great crowd area, good view and get to heckle the opposition kicker if they are kicking from 50. Sun stinks, hopefully with a new coach they wont kick out to the western side all the time and I will see more action.:(
Hopefully upgrade to gold member next year but not sure.

Sounds like you're a couple rows behind me, not the worst bay for atmosphere there's a few funny guys who trash talk the other team (playfully) and typically people get into it.

Essential Crows member.

Usually sit in the northern end of the stand in the middle bay. Seats are good, we're probably closer to the action while being a little higher up, though further out from the centre than back at AAMI. Overall pretty happy. Getting early to the game is part of the routine, and my Dad an I enjoy a few beers prior to the game. If we ever needed to get there late then we would reserve seats.

Facilities are good, better than AAMI but it is disappointing to see how much better the facilities are in the new stands. That said the food stands in the lawned area are nice and the atmosphere is good.

Parking is surprisingly easy as well.

I sat near the top of the southern stand for the Collingwood game. What an amazing experience.

My only complaint was in the last qtr when it was close I had no idea what the score was. I couldn't read the score across the oval from where I was. The angles to the other boards made it impossible to read them. The crowd was so loud I couldn't even ask someone.:$ In the end I think we won.

Can't wait to get back for a visit.

Essential Member, always stand at window of Phil Ridings bar.

Great View. Is level with the coaches box and IMO (have sat in most stands at most levels during the year for Port games) best view in the house. Bar just behind us, ie 5 steps. Good atmosphere in the bar. Toilet in bar is close too. Weather not an issue.

Only con is that the glass is soundproof so none of the outside atmosphere comes in.

After this first season can't believe we put up with the near third world stadium that was Footy Park for so long.

Essential Member, always stand at window of Phil Ridings bar.

Great View. Is level with the coaches box and IMO (have sat in most stands at most levels during the year for Port games) best view in the house. Bar just behind us, ie 5 steps. Good atmosphere in the bar. Toilet in bar is close too. Weather not an issue.

Only con is that the glass is soundproof so none of the outside atmosphere comes in.

After this first season can't believe we put up with the near third world stadium that was Footy Park for so long.
is the Phil Ridings the one with no toilet in the and limited to 120 people or something? i know during the summer went to a test with a mate with SACA membership and spent time in that bar

I looked up on the club website on the seat change section, not sure if any reserved seats in western are left? Gave the option to change from essential crows unreserved to eastern and riverbank reserved. But no option for Western stand reserved?
I think there's a waiting list for reserved seats in the western stand. I also know a lot of people weren't happy with their allocation this year, and could ask for different seats. The way they did it was a mess, with many people missing out.

Eastern Stand, Section 538, row R (top deck, opposite centre circle)

Pros
Great view of the whole ground
Much better than in the Northern stand at FP
The sound up there is amazing both the crowd noise and the sound system. Was great for the mini concerts.
Getting home was brilliant, caught the train for most games.
Was only in the sun for one game, that was a bonus.

Cons
Pregame at the start of the season ( was a million times better from the GC indigenous round onwards)

Apart from a lot of the results i have never enjoyed going to the footy as much in my 30 odd years if going to games.

Am looking forward to going to see Adelaide United on friday night and a few days of cricket over summer to get my Adelaide Oval fix.

Essential - Western stand

Pretty much the same as others - the days of getting to a game even 30 mins before are gone - must be there min 1 hour before up to 2 hours for seat selection.

Disgracefully over sold.

FACS poor in Western stand as compared to other stands.

Positives - still best to be on the west re sun.

My kid is still free so don't have to pay for an extra seat

Much quicker entry/ exit using north. Home 40 mins after siren.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back