Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
I just looked at a tome chart of australian PM's and ther ewas a remarkeble pattern of three/four PMs with long terms followed by three or four with very short ones.

Most recently we had Fraser/Hawke/Keating/Howard which covers 1975 to 2004 - an average of 7-8 years each.
I think perhaps this will be followed by many changes seeing 3-4 PMs come and go each with 3 years or less each.

My prediction.....

After Johnny goes, the federal govt wont be the biggest spender on advertising anymore!

My hope......
all the rednecks who requested the departure from Australia of those who didnt toe the govt. line practice what they preach.

Originally posted by London Dave

My hope......
all the rednecks who requested the departure from Australia of those who didnt toe the govt. line practice what they preach.

They wont.

You would hope that they would, but they will stay here and carp and whinge and complain about how everyone else is carping and whingeing and complaining...

Originally posted by London Dave
My prediction.....

After Johnny goes, the federal govt wont be the biggest spender on advertising anymore!

Maybe, but the likelyhood of the libs just being replaced by Labor gives me no great confidence about there being any great changes in any policy area.

What will happen to the Liberal Party and / or the Coalition government after Howard is an interesting question.

I see an eerie re-run of history happening here.

In 1967, John Gorton became Prime Minister of Australia after the dissapperance of Harold Holt.

Gorton was a very successful politican. A social Liberal, and down to earth 'good bloke', Gorton presided over a period of record economic growth and significant social progress.

The Gorton-led Coalition comfortably saw-off the Whitlam-led ALP at the 1969 Geenral Election.

All this success and progress was not enough to save Gortonm, however. As I mentioned, Gorton was a liberal on social policy, but the Cabinet was dominated by conservatives. In a party room spill, Gorton lost his job and was replaced by William McMahon (Australia's silliest Prime Minister - but thats another story)

Costello is very much the Blue-Ribbon politican in the Gorton mould, or at least I feel he would like to be - given a chance.

Costello will initially seek to advance certain items on the social agenda forward (especially a Republic). Then there will be fierce conservative backlash against him.

He will either weather the storm then continbue with his agenda, or he will be tossed out (like Gorton) and power will be restored to the conservatives.

I hold out hope that Costello will be the the kind of Prime Minister this country has been crying out for years - a socially liberal, but economically conservative politican who does not mind setrting the agenda rather than pandering to talkback radio opinion.

But I ain't holding my breath - he will surely be shafted by his more conservative, er, colleagues - just like Gorton was.

cheers

After Johnny,the country will be better off,we wont have strikes,we wont have a false smile,The Get Stuffed Tax wont be so pronounced,we wont have so many overseas companies buying out Australia.We wont be the 54th state on USA.We wont have NZ as part of us.Most of all ....all of Australia will cheer.
Then where do we go??????

Originally posted by Rocky
After Johnny,the country will be better off ........The Get Stuffed Tax wont be so pronounced

Could you please explain how the country will be better off when the GST is rolled back(this is what i assume that you mean). I hear so many people say this but nobody has ever been able to provide any sort of argument as to why the country other than the wonderfully convincing ''cause it is".

PS i'll give you a tip about the above, you can't explain why because it wont make the country better off it will make it worse off.

Originally posted by Rocky
After Johnny,the country will be better off,we wont have strikes,

You must have a short memory....strikes happen no matter who is in government

we wont have a false smile,

Better a false smile than Hawke's tears.

The Get Stuffed Tax wont be so pronounced,

Yeah, just what we need.....another shakeup of the tax system. No thanks.

we wont have so many overseas companies buying out Australia

Interesting how no-one ever mentions Australian companies that buy out overseas companies.....like Fosters taking over American wineries and European wine clubs, Lend Lease taking over American and European property management groups, Westfield buying up American shopping centres and the management rights, Aristocrat Leisure buying up American gaming machine companies etc. etc.

We wont be the 54th state on USA.

Australia spent the first two thirds of the 20th century knowtowing to the British, but now we follow the Americans. Same idea, different masters. But then again, you'll notice that not too many countries are following Russia these days.

We wont have NZ as part of us.

Last time I checked, NZ wasn't a part of Australia.

Most of all ....all of Australia will cheer.
Then where do we go??????

Probably to an ALP government which will be just as conservative as the Liberals. Only thing is that they'll implement a few policies to keep their left wing happy, and life will go on.

ACV, I don't support rollback either, I reckon GST should be extended to everything, and welfare used to compensate the losers.

However, your post asks everybody else to prove their point of view. But you can't be bothered proving yours.

Originally posted by Fat Red
ACV, I don't support rollback either, I reckon GST should be extended to everything, and welfare used to compensate the losers.

However, your post asks everybody else to prove their point of view. But you can't be bothered proving yours.

Nicely put Fat Red:cool:

Originally posted by Fat Red

Yeah ok, fair enough. The reason that i didn't start with a lesson in tax economics is because it would be very long and very boring. Also, the primary reason i didn't justify what i said is because i actually wanted to hear his/her(cant remember) reasons for saying that rollback is better for the country without clouding their judgement.

If you want me to justify i will but from you're reply you seem to know why but if you want me to ask and i will.

Johnny Hunt will die soon and be replaced by The Smirk. The Smirk's reign as P.M. will be short-lived. He will do something stupid, like accidentally smirk when he's supposed to smile and get stabbed in the back by his own party.

We will then get the Prime Minister we deserve ... the failed Jesuit. The guy who left the priesthood because all the fun had gone out of it since they abolished corporal punishment in schools. Failed boxer ... failed priest ... and within one term he'll be a failed Prime Minister.

It will then be Labor's turn again. With any luck, Joffa will have entered parliament by then.

Originally posted by Shinboners

Interesting how no-one ever mentions Australian companies that buy out overseas companies.....like Fosters taking over American wineries and European wine clubs, Lend Lease taking over American and European property management groups, Westfield buying up American shopping centres and the management rights, Aristocrat Leisure buying up American gaming machine companies etc. etc.

Ah fosters - partly japanese owned - Thanks Big Jack

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Howard will retire mid-term, Costello will become PM and then lose the election to Labor because the people wont like Costello's arrogance.

Labor will come in and set their social policies.....

Australia is not in good hands. I do not see any politician worth voting for. Crean is a waste of space, Costello is arrogant.

Thank God Reith has gone, imagine him as PM.

The only decent politicians I see are Stephen Smith, Kim Beazley, Peter Costello......

I worry about Labor getting in and pandering to minority groups and upsetting the social fabric of families.....I worry about the Libs and their pandering to greedy corporations....

Either way, we, the normal society of Australia will suffer.

Originally posted by Goldenblue
Either way, we, the normal society of Australia will suffer.

Since when has Australia had a 'normal' society? ;)

Too far away to predict the result of the next election. I can't see Howard handing over until after the election because Costello may lose too many votes with his current style. If he does haqnd over then it has to be this year to give Costello chance to overhaul his image.
Crean is doing well in this way. Up until Beazley went Crean was a scurrilous little rat but the party is doing a good job with him and peoples opinions are changing. The same will happen with Costello.

It will come down to economics unless another Sept 11 occurrs. If we are going badly or very well Labour will win. If we are going reasonably well Liberals will win because people know that a Labour win will mean a big public spend and we wont be able to afford it.

There is, of course, the age old reason for a Labour win...."It's time for a change"

Howard will stay because when it gets down to it he won't be able to help himself.

Whether he wins or not will depend on if he can find a 'rabbit' to pull out of the 'hat' like the last two elections (GST, sept 11/Tampa).

Now lets have a look at the "One Nation' Policy book.

Personally what I would love to happen is for The Stot to realize that she is going no where with the Democrats, just treading water. Hopefully she will jump over the the good guys where she will take over as Leader and rape Johnny H in the next election.

Wont happen, but it's great to dream.

Originally posted by Collo
Personally what I would love to happen is for The Stot to realize that she is going no where with the Democrats, just treading water. Hopefully she will jump over the the good guys where she will take over as Leader and rape Johnny H in the next election.

Wont happen, but it's great to dream.

You're right. It won't happen. After the crucifixion job the media did on Cheryl K, there is no way known The Stot will make the same mistake.

But staying with the Democrats is worse than treading water. No matter what she does she'll be saddled with the legacy of Meg F-ing Lees and her GST.

And she seemed like such a "nice" person until she entered politics.

Of course, what WILL happen is that as she gets older she'll become more conservative. By the time she's fifty or so she'll be just about ready to join the Libs and become the new Margaret Thatcher.

Never trust a Democrat.

Wolves in sheep's clothing ... the f-ing lot of 'em.

How do you keep the bastards who keep the bastards honest honest?

Originally posted by Shinboners

You must have a short memory....strikes happen no matter who is in government

Better a false smile than Hawke's tears.

Yeah, just what we need.....another shakeup of the tax system. No thanks.

Australia spent the first two thirds of the 20th century knowtowing to the British, but now we follow the Americans. Same idea, different masters. But then again, you'll notice that not too many countries are following Russia these days.

Last time I checked, NZ wasn't a part of Australia.

Probably to an ALP government which will be just as conservative as the Liberals. Only thing is that they'll implement a few policies to keep their left wing happy, and life will go on.

Shinboners

The best reponse to a redneck post I have ever seen.

Well done 100 out of 100!:)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back