After the Bye

Remove this Banner Ad

#23 Hill

Premium Platinum
Jan 22, 2023
AFL Club
Collingwood
If you told me at the start of the year we were going to be on top of the ladder with eleven wins and two loses at the bye, I probably would've taken it. Today's loss might be the kick up the bum the boys need to stop them from getting too happy with themselves, during the break, and to keep striving to leave no stone unturned in their efforts to improve.

Our first two games after the bye, without JDG, are Adelaide and the Suns. We're expecting Dan McStay to be back in the team to play Adelaide.

But what about Steele and Elliott. How far away are they?

The real work begins in the second half of the season.

McRae routinely refers to qualifying for finals. Given our draw in the second half of the season, we'll do well to hold onto top 2. Teams fluctuate in their form - unfortunately we're running into a few sides who are finding form, while our previous 3 weeks have been distinctly average.

The real work begins in the second half of the season.

McRae routinely refers to qualifying for finals. Given our draw in the second half of the season, we'll do well to hold onto top 2. Teams fluctuate in their form - unfortunately we're running into a few sides who are finding form, while our previous 3 weeks have been distinctly average.

Our whole draw has been hard. I looked at our second half and it looks as tough as our first half.

Our whole draw has been hard. I looked at our second half and it looks as tough as our first half.
Yeh. There are prime time slots and match ups, however the majority of those are away from home or at Marvel.

Adelaide first up after the break should give us some indication of where we stand. Beat them convincingly and maybe today was an aberration. Gold Coast (away), the Dogs (away at Marvel) and Fremantle will provide a stern test. Then it's Port (away), Carlton, Hawthorn, Geelong, Essendon and Brisbane to finish.

If form holds, we're probably favourites / can expect to win 4 to 6 of those games, with the rest 50/50 propositions.

If you told me at the start of the year we were going to be on top of the ladder with eleven wins and two loses at the bye, I probably would've taken it. Today's loss might be the kick up the bum the boys need to stop them from getting too happy with themselves, during the break, and to keep striving to leave no stone unturned in their efforts to improve.

Our first two games after the bye, without JDG, are Adelaide and the Suns. We're expecting Dan McStay to be back in the team to play Adelaide.

Elliott will be back vs Adelaide along with McStay. Sidebottom a couple of weeks after that.

Felt like yesterday was the end of the honeymoon period. Fly is a positive bloke, but the air was sucked right out of the balloon. I’m old enough to have seen an era of post bye collapses worse than the Aussie cricket team serves up these days. Very much hope I am wrong. Devastated, and still two weeks to stew on it. Was going to go to the crows game, but not sure if I can stomach it.

I'm still not sure Howe gets back. That injury was nasty.
Players have come back after snapping both bones in the lower leg(Nathan Brown, Tim Broomhead, Gary Rohan), so I don't see why not. Maybe age might make it more difficult?

We are in a good spot!

Injury wise we have been tested.
New personnel have slotted in perfectly in Hill and Mitchell.
McStay comes back in to reinvent the forward line and give Checkers that help that is much needed.
Found a player in Frampton, with his mid-season stint in the Ruck.

Our two losses give us something to look at to change when confronted with that high possession play. Felt like the Dees took great care of the ball and put the pressure on and contained it in our forward 50, rather than turning it over mid ground.

Room for improvement in team selections. Are we going to be too top heavy with Murph, Frampton, Moore, Cox, Cameron, McStay, in the one team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We are in a good spot!

Injury wise we have been tested.
New personnel have slotted in perfectly in Hill and Mitchell.
McStay comes back in to reinvent the forward line and give Checkers that help that is much needed.
Found a player in Frampton, with his mid-season stint in the Ruck.

Our two losses give us something to look at to change when confronted with that high possession play. Felt like the Dees took great care of the ball and put the pressure on and contained it in our forward 50, rather than turning it over mid ground.

Room for improvement in team selections. Are we going to be too top heavy with Murph, Frampton, Moore, Cox, Cameron, McStay, in the one team.
I reckon when Fly put this year's game plan in action pre season, the whole football department would have been aware that sides were going to eventually play better against us as the season goes on. I don't think Fly has shown his full hand yet and by the end of the season we'll still finish top. Put JDG, Sidey, Elliott Howe and McStay in and we are going to be hard to beat

With JDG, Sidey, Elliott, Howe and Mcstay to come in, I think after the Bye looks fantastic. There was no doubt that we had a few blokes that were still struggling with illness. Cox and McCreery were well below best and AJ just didn't give a yelp. I can see us dominating after the bye
Interesting to hear that Coxy had covid last week according to his podcast

Felt like yesterday was the end of the honeymoon period. Fly is a positive bloke, but the air was sucked right out of the balloon. I’m old enough to have seen an era of post bye collapses worse than the Aussie cricket team serves up these days. Very much hope I am wrong. Devastated, and still two weeks to stew on it. Was going to go to the crows game, but not sure if I can stomach it.
We beat Adelaide in Adelaide, they’re putrid away from Adelaide oval. Pies will spank them on the MCG.

What The?

Get a grip champ

Get a grip champion
Appreciate the pat on the back mate, but please don't call me champ. I am not a kiddy fiddler.

That aside, I doubt you will take my rebuking the comment personally. Have always valued your input here, and doubt that will change in the future.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back