After winning a decent bet

Remove this Banner Ad

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
What do you lads do with your winnings?

Do you re-invest it ( piss it away for many ) or do you go AWOL and smash it on coke n hookers? ( joking, kinda )

Nah in all seriousness I've seen blokes on here and blokes in general just chuck it straight back in and lose it all. What's the point if you're not going to enjoy your win. If you can control it and bet in portions or do it for a living that's different but if not, know what you're betting for, and when you do win ensure that you enjoy every cent.

Win 1200 bucks, bank/enjoy 1000 on something, chuck in 200 to re-invest smartly.

Best to walk away with something than do it all for nothing and be pissed off. A few blokes need reminding of this and for those that don't know, you do now.

Always walk away with SOMETHING. Be SMART.

Yours sincerely,

Captain obvious.

What do you lads do with your winnings?

Do you re-invest it ( piss it away for many ) or do you go AWOL and smash it on coke n hookers? ( joking, kinda )

Nah in all seriousness I've seen blokes on here and blokes in general just chuck it straight back in and lose it all. What's the point if you're not going to enjoy your win. If you can control it and bet in portions or do it for a living that's different but if not, know what you're betting for, and when you do win ensure that you enjoy every cent.

Win 1200 bucks, bank/enjoy 1000 on something, chuck in 200 to re-invest smartly.

Best to walk away with something than do it all for nothing and be pissed off. A few blokes need reminding of this and for those that don't know, you do now.

Always walk away with SOMETHING. Be SMART.

Yours sincerely,

Captain obvious.
Sometimes I can caught in the trap of upping my bets later in the day, never to the point of going back past square. Always withdraw at the end of the day or leave an amount in I want for the next day or so.

I don't spend too much of the short term money I win, most is usually saved or stays in my bank roll. If I have a good profitable/winning weekend and I'm heading out I'll splurge a little so I have a good night, but not go crazy with it. If I have a bit of long term profit though I'll occasionally buy something with it.

My thought process behind it and the main reason I wait for a bit of a long term profit is if you punt regularly (it wasn't a once a year Melbourne cup quinella you won) you never know when your next loss or bad run is going to be. Using your example of say a weekend where you won $1200, some people who would be a regular punter would spend most of that $1200 right away. What happens then though when they hit a little bit of a losing streak in a couple of weeks and lose $400, $500 or $600? If for example you regularly bet between $50-$100 units that can happen quite fast. So they're essentially really only long term up about $600 overall now from that win, but spent $1000-1200 on things they normally wouldn't have bought. If you're a regular punter long term you'll likely lose a % of that win at some point. I like to wait for a bit of long term profit after both a bunch of wins and losses before spending some of my winnings.

Basically if you punt often and put the win in the perspective of what ever your betting units are, using your example of $1200 profit after a weekend betting, if it was:
-6U win, I wouldn't really spend any, leave almost all of it in my bankroll
-12U win, I wouldn't spend too much of it, leave most in the bankroll
-24U win, I'd spend a bit, but leave a decent amount for the bankroll
-120U win, I'd probably spend most of it, leave a little (possibly bankroll a little more and up my unit size slightly if I was smart with it)
-Once a year bet on the Melbourne cup win, spend it all

*by leave in bankroll I don't mean go crazy trying to 'reinvest' later that day on something you normally wouldn't bet on (both in bet size and actual bet)

I'am an idiot, usually IF I get lucky I'll up my bets and end up pissing it all away at Newberry or Uxxtornor or whatever it's called at 3am.

Sometimes coke and whores.

The worst thing I ever did was back this $1.40 pop over the jumps, had something stupid on it, forgot I had already backed it and went again, only to watch this thing miles in front at the last jump ...to fall.

I'am an idiot, usually IF I get lucky I'll up my bets and end up pissing it all away at Newberry or Uxxtornor or whatever it's called at 3am.

The worst thing I ever did was back this $1.40 pop over the jumps, had something stupid on it, forgot I had already backed it and went again, only to watch this thing miles in front at the last jump ...to fall.
Its called FFS laos or something like that

(Log in to remove this ad.)

After a big win I like to celebrate by doing things, such as, actually feeding my kids, not beating my kids, not taking money from my kids money boxes, and spending Tuesdays sober.

do you go AWOL and smash it on coke n hookers?

I'm sure there are many here that can already afford coke n hookers with their normal income.

To them the enjoyment of a big win is their high, so they gonna just put it back in looking for a bigger high/win.

I used to work at an agency and we had this rough middle aged alcoholic guy who was a semi regular at night.

I could never tell how drunk he was as he always slurred his words. I ended up deciding that if he was still able to fill out his own tickets and walk in a straight line so it didn't look suss on the cameras I would just serve the guy*

The beauty of working nights was that the majority of punters would just use the machines so I sat around getting paid to watch Foxtel for most of the night.

Anyway this guy always bet over the counter and would be determined to bet until he ran out of money so you are just praying that he will hurry up and lose so you can go back to watching AFL 360 in peace.

One night there was something I specifically wanted to watch, can't remember what perhaps a WCQ or something, and this guy comes in and wins like $800 on his first bet. Nooooooo I'm going to be stuck with this guy until close. Then something strange happens, he takes the money and leaves, hell yes.

About an hour later this young girl rocks up at the TAB. Short, slightly built young redhead, she would have been quite pretty if she wasn't an ice addict. She has a coffee from the 7/11 and places a $3 place bet on a harness race at Narrogin. Hmmm not your usual TAB customer. About 20 minutes later old mate rocks back up and they leave together.....

Complaining about my tv viewing being interrupted at work definitely a first world problem compared to the girl.

* Sidenote. I booted him one day when he was staggering around all over the shop and he called me a ******* dog and that he would wait for me in the car park. Next time he come in he obviously didn't remember a thing as he gave me a $20 tip.

There is no bigger trap than having a big win on one of your first ever bets. Would almost bet everyone on here would have had a win and that was it. Addiction!

That's what happened to Jason......in the early 2000s gambling awareness ads

was this the race?

bookies faced a 50mil pound payout if she won

I don't spend too much of the short term money I win, most is usually saved or stays in my bank roll. If I have a good profitable/winning weekend and I'm heading out I'll splurge a little so I have a good night, but not go crazy with it. If I have a bit of long term profit though I'll occasionally buy something with it.

My thought process behind it and the main reason I wait for a bit of a long term profit is if you punt regularly (it wasn't a once a year Melbourne cup quinella you won) you never know when your next loss or bad run is going to be. Using your example of say a weekend where you won $1200, some people who would be a regular punter would spend most of that $1200 right away. What happens then though when they hit a little bit of a losing streak in a couple of weeks and lose $400, $500 or $600? If for example you regularly bet between $50-$100 units that can happen quite fast. So they're essentially really only long term up about $600 overall now from that win, but spent $1000-1200 on things they normally wouldn't have bought. If you're a regular punter long term you'll likely lose a % of that win at some point. I like to wait for a bit of long term profit after both a bunch of wins and losses before spending some of my winnings.

Basically if you punt often and put the win in the perspective of what ever your betting units are, using your example of $1200 profit after a weekend betting, if it was:
-6U win, I wouldn't really spend any, leave almost all of it in my bankroll
-12U win, I wouldn't spend too much of it, leave most in the bankroll
-24U win, I'd spend a bit, but leave a decent amount for the bankroll
-120U win, I'd probably spend most of it, leave a little (possibly bankroll a little more and up my unit size slightly if I was smart with it)
-Once a year bet on the Melbourne cup win, spend it all

*by leave in bankroll I don't mean go crazy trying to 'reinvest' later that day on something you normally wouldn't bet on (both in bet size and actual bet)
Love your work mate. Brilliant post.

My theory for the banking/spending 1000 bucks, that's aimed at blokes who have a crack recreationally. You're more of a pro punter or at least bet like one, so I get what you're saying.

I think too many punt aimlessly and don't know what to do when they win or take it for granted. It's different if you're doing it the way you are.

Cheers:thumbsu:

I'm sure there are many here that can already afford coke n hookers with their normal income.

To them the enjoyment of a big win is their high, so they gonna just put it back in looking for a bigger high/win.
The coke n hookers was a joke but each to their own.

In reference to that I meant treating ones self in any shape or form.

If coke and hookers is your thing I say good on you. Everyone should live like Ben cousins once in their lifetime. Unfortunately for Benno he made it his lifetime.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back