AFLW AFW Draft 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

GalaxyBlue

All Australian
Apr 25, 2019
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
The 2023 AFLW Draft is to be held on Monday, 18 December 2023.

All you need to know:

You can watch from 7pm via the AFLW App or afl.com.au website.

Our draft picks are:
Carlton: 7, 28

Thanks to the new CBA, about 70% of the draft has nominated the national pool, which opens things right up.

We have also nominated Meg Robertson (daughter of Ben) as a father-daughter selection.

She has been projected as somewhere around a second-round pick, but has nominated nationally.

Good luck to all the potential draftees!

Last edited:

We’ve been linked to fwd/mid Lila Keck with our first pick, with a potential late first-round bid for Meg Robertson (as she nominated the national pool) likely to mean we’ll take her with our second pick.

Edited the main post as the draft order has been updated - looks like we (and a host of other clubs) are only intending to use our first two picks.
Another wild decision... we've got 3 open list spots supposedly, and the Dogs are happy to pick in that range despite having 4 picks in the top 11.

Why do we have so little faith in the draft?

Hi all, you can also join the AFLW Draft Night thread over on the AFLW Draft Board

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Assuming we get Meg Robertson at 28 or before if a bid comes, we have effectively turned our McEvoy compensation into Yasmin Duursma and Robertson.

Last edited:
Keck looks alright, almost a ready made inside mid who can kick a goal or two.

Seemingly has some pace and endurance, finished top 5 of the 2km time trial in the combine.

Out:

Phoebe McWilliams (Retired)
Annie Lee (Traded)
Paige Trudgeon (Traded)
Mua Laloifi (Traded)
Daisy Walker (Delisted)
Imogen Milford (Delisted)
Chloe Wrigley (Delisted)

In:

Tarni Brown (Traded)
Yasmin Duursma(Traded)
Celine Moody (Traded)
Lila Keck (Draft #7)
Meg Robertson (Draft #31)

Yup, it's the moves after that which were more concerning.

Which ones are you worried about? Leaving a spot on the list instead of putting Fitzpatrick on the LTI list? Maybe we hope she will be ready?

Which ones are you worried about? Leaving a spot on the list instead of putting Fitzpatrick on the LTI list? Maybe we hope she will be ready?
Not waiting on the Moody trade deal to at least nudge our first pick up a spot to 6, ideally to 4. We got absolutely boned on that deal, while the Dogs turned their talented 30 year olds into top 10 picks...

Pies/Roos/Saints trade should have delivered a bit more our way as Trudgeon and Lee still have a fair chunk of potential in the right program. North as a facilitator left us high and dry.

Erone resuming in September/October is a very hopeful outcome, but if that's on the cards I'd have left things open to move on a fringe player.

Not waiting on the Moody trade deal to at least nudge our first pick up a spot to 6, ideally to 4. We got absolutely boned on that deal, while the Dogs turned their talented 30 year olds into top 10 picks...

Pies/Roos/Saints trade should have delivered a bit more our way as Trudgeon and Lee still have a fair chunk of potential in the right program. North as a facilitator left us high and dry.

Erone resuming in September/October is a very hopeful outcome, but if that's on the cards I'd have left things open to move on a fringe player.

I cant agree about Lee. She has shown next to nothing in the seniors. Making her part of the Brown trade lessened the cost.

Trudgeon too ... had one good season and a heap of injuries. Compare her to most key defenders and her value wasn't high.

It's all a bit speculative though, isn't it? We love to value our own players higher than players we are getting in.

I'm quite happy with our work.

I cant agree about Lee. She has shown next to nothing in the seniors. Making her part of the Brown trade lessened the cost.

Trudgeon too ... had one good season and a heap of injuries. Compare her to most key defenders and her value wasn't high.

It's all a bit speculative though, isn't it? We love to value our own players higher than players we are getting in.

I'm quite happy with our work.
I mean I'm talking moving pick 47/48 to something like 35 here, nothing radical, but could have opened up more moves to potential pick before any Robertson bid. Did anyone actually bid?

For example: trading Jess Good, or delisting Dal Pos.

I mean I'm talking moving pick 47/48 to something like 35 here, nothing radical, but could have opened up more moves to potential pick before any Robertson bid. Did anyone actually bid?

For example: trading Jess Good, or delisting Dal Pos.

Nobody bid for Robertson, but it was within her range so no biggie there.

I still think Good is a required player. She has been improving quite well at the level.

I would like to have 2 tall forwards.on the ground at all times. So that is Austin and Bree Moody or Austin and Good when Bree is rucking and Celine is on the pine potentially.

Dal Pos I agree with. She's often a weak link but revered as some kind of leader. I'm going to allow them the benefit of doubt as far as onfield leadership.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back