Toast Against the odds, Dogs smash Eagles in interstate elimination final

Remove this Banner Ad

Still amazed how he got a mark taken off him for touched, when there was no touch. An umpire on the other side of the ******* field overruled an umpire a few metres from the ball
It was unusual but I can believe it if it was touched near the kicker. However his mark close to goal in the first quarter should have been paid. Ball then goes up the other end and Darling (I think) held onto one for less time but it was paid. I suspect the difference was that Stringer's was close to goal and the game was still in the balance in front of a hostile crowd. Not saying that was the ump's thought process - probably more a subconscious one.
Anyway, it's easy to get away with not paying it in those situations.

razorwick

Senior List
Sep 9, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Libba plays we win, simple as that. Owned Dangerfield before ankle, expect Cordy to play a physical and defensive role on McGovern. Must play an...

Cadillac

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 25, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Haha I love that people hate us now. I never liked us being everyone's second team anyway.

image.jpeg

Jun 17, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
ASADA
Haha I love that people hate us now. I never liked us being everyone's second team anyway.

View attachment 286538
That's A+ grade salt. Perhaps the flog should see how many injuries took longer than expected.

Be nice if people could just say "they were the better team on the day"

To suggest that we are cheating with drugs is ******* stupid.

King Harold

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 23, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Cleveland Indians
That's A+ grade salt. Perhaps the flog should see how many injuries took longer than expected.

Be nice if people could just say "they were the better team on the day"

To suggest that we are cheating with drugs is ******* stupid.

Some what ironic from their drug riddled past .

I'm pretty pissed off right now and I blame it on the Bulldogs. After getting up at 5am to watch the match, I tried to go back to sleep after it at 8am, since, at my age, sleep is better than ___(You fill in the blank.). It's after 11am and I couldn't fall back to sleep. I've had breakfast - Raisin Bran, of course, - but now I'm all confused about when I should have my afternoon nap. And what about dinner at my usual 4pm? How can I fit in lunch? My entire day is so confused and I just tuned into the news and all they're talking about is the Trump/Hillary forum last evening. How could a day that started so absolutely fantastically, turn into a Scheissefest?

I have enough United Airlines miles for two round trip saver flights to Melbourne. I could leave on Monday and get to Tullamarine on Wednesday, leaving the next Tuesday. But what if we make the Grand Final? Damn Bulldogs. They've made my life complicated once again!

do_zpsdiqjkmdt.gif

ThirdLegUp

Premiership Player
Apr 29, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I'm pretty pissed off right now and I blame it on the Bulldogs. After getting up at 5am to watch the match, I tried to go back to sleep after it at 8am, since, at my age, sleep is better than ___(You fill in the blank.). It's after 11am and I couldn't fall back to sleep. I've had breakfast - Raisin Bran, of course, - but now I'm all confused about when I should have my afternoon nap. And what about dinner at my usual 4pm? How can I fit in lunch? My entire day is so confused and I just tuned into the news and all they're talking about is the Trump/Hillary forum last evening. How could a day that started so absolutely fantastically, turn into a Scheissefest?

I have enough United Airlines miles for two round trip saver flights to Melbourne. I could leave on Monday and get to Tullamarine on Wednesday, leaving the next Tuesday. But what if we make the Grand Final? Damn Bulldogs. They've made my life complicated once again!

do_zpsdiqjkmdt.gif
how this sound. have a bit to eat, just graze, take a nap straight after, wake up, take a shower. eat again, then have another little kip. in about 10 hours the replay shoudl be on the AFL website, watch the game again, and let the dogs get you back on your cycle!
:D

Trugo3013

Club Legend
Apr 24, 2009
South China Sea
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

View attachment 286538
That poster has no idea about how we play. Look at time spent in the middle and all the rotations of our mids. Around half way through the season we had the lowest in the comp because we essentially play so many midfielders/running players. Where other teams might have a couple of guns spending 90%> TOG in the middle, most of our guys have around 70%. Wonder who still has legs at the end of a game? PEDs, no. BEV yes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've been following the Dogs for about 60 years and can't recall a better win.

A few things that I noticed tonight:

Hamling was given one of the toughest assignments in the AFL - stop Coleman Medallist Kennedy kicking a bag on his home ground in front of 42,000 rabid West Coast supporters. I know our defence is not strictly man-on-man but Hamling did a fantastic job. Kennedy's only two goals came from (1) Biggs passing it straight to him inside 50 and (2) JJ giving away a free by pushing Kennedy out of the marking contest. Hamling could do nothing about either of those. On top of that he had 13 possessions of his own (6 CPs) with 100% DE and 100% time on the ground... not one spell on the bench for the entire playing time. Surely his best and most important game for the club.

As I said in the Caleb Daniel Bandwagon thread, you just know something good is going to happen when Caleb gets the ball. Sure he had a few clangers but for a midfielder in the thick of the action that's to be expected. More importantly he had 33 disposals (at 76% DE) and those effective disposals usually found somebody in more space and under less pressure. His 5 GAs in a final is amazing. My CD top 3 highlights (out of many) were (1) his ducking clean under a tackle to feed a handpass to Dahl for a goal, (2) his sudden awareness that he had time and space in midfield so he didn't need to handball - instead he re-balanced, took the responsibility on himself and delivered long to Dunkley for a goal and (3) his own speculative shot bursting out of a pack for a goal in the first quarter.

Macrae looked rusty - getting run down twice while in possession was a clear indication. However he got more involved as the game went on. It's hard to come back any time after a lengthy spell but even harder to adjust to the pace when it's played with the intensity of a final. He will be much better for the run and the whole team will benefit from that.

Early in the year Suckling looked like a smart pick-up. He might still be that, especially if we can keep our finals run going because he has played in two premiership teams, but right now he is looking like most of the younger players have gone past him. He's fumbly and indecisive. His laser-like left foot has gone missing. I hope it's just something temporary - maybe his achilles is still troubling him? Biggs had some clangers too but I thought was better than Suckling. Despite them being slightly down on form I think both will play next week unless MC want to risk going with Williams. I wouldn't.

After 18 months of nagging doubts we are watching Tom Boyd grow into a genuine star of the game week by week. He's going to be awesome next year. Maybe even next week.

The two players we need most for the grunt in our midfield are Libba and Dahl. If you couldn't see that tonight you only have to compare our performances with them to our performances without them. Without one of them our midfield is diminished. Without the pair of them we come right back to the field. Sure Bont and Daniel add some class and can get some of their own ball but Libba and Dahl are the real engine room.

And Dunkley is coming along just nicely as an apprentice to those two. Hard to believe he's just a first year player.

Zaine Cordy didn't get a lot of the ball (5M, 8D) but didn't look overawed and was ready to mix it with the bigger bodied older players. He plays with much more self-belief than Ayce. Maybe because he's just a better player. I think he's coming along just nicely and will be a regular in our 22 next year.

We are in the top echelon to stay. One of the post-match interviewees (Tony Liberatore I think) said the list management focus has been on keeping the group together. 14 of tonight's 22 is under the age of 25 meaning they should have 6 or more years of good footy together. Here are the youngest eight (age today in brackets):
Dunkley 19.67
Cordy 19.87
Daniel 20.18
Bontempelli 20.79
T. Boyd 21.05
Hunter 21.74
Macrae 22.10
Stringer 22.38​
All of them are or soon will be regulars in the senior side. Two are already AAs and I think all but Cordy have been RS nominees. Keep them together and we have another 8 years or more from them. A great core group for the coming Age of the Bulldog!

And finally, hats off to Beveridge and Dalrymple (and probably Jason McCartney too). You've given us a chance to dream of a flag again.

And finally, hats off to Beveridge and Dalrymple (and probably Jason McCartney too). You've given us a chance to dream of a flag again.

Ive always maintained its the beveridge, dalrymple and bont trinity that will lead the club to a premiership.

Beveridge has proven time and time again his transformational talent yet people refuse to see the light. Time and time again he has delivered outstanding results against the odds. He is the most important personnel at the club by some margin.

westernsainter

Premium Gold
Oct 10, 2014
Perth
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Celtic
on behalf of about 40% of Perth, thank you.

I could weep it's so beautiful

Yeah this pretty much sums up the thoughts of every single Adelaide, Brisbane, Carlton, Collingwood, Essendon, Fremantle, Geelong, Gold Coast, GWS, Hawthorn, Melbourne, North Melbourne, Port, Richmond, St Kilda & Sydney fan who had to grow up in WA.

Up the 'scray, * the weevils!!!

The journey is getting awfully close to its destination. Soak it up lads, it might not be this year but the storm clouds are rolling in...the drought is about to be broken!

Best win I've ever seen
But it might! Anything is possible!

Sep 13, 2015
Hillary Step
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
76ers
Congratulations fellas, I must say I'd written you off, not due to not being 'good enough', but because of the injuries you've had (even with all the inclusions, I didn't think they would be as prolific as you were), and the fact it's over there. And then you go over there and make me look like an idiot! Some of the best pressure I've seen all year, and fantastically coached as well. All the best next week, I probably won't tip you, but I certainly won't write you off either.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back