News Age interview with Matt Rendell

Remove this Banner Ad

Semantics.

Locking Buckley out and or being less than his charming self to me are largely one and the same. I suspect he did it, for sure.

On the continuum, worlds apart.

The bottom line is the consensus Pies supporter position is that Mick was a miserable so and so to Buckley whilst Buckley was the architect of the succession plan. So Buckley was the good guy all round and old Mick the villian. Nothing in between.

Who ever said Bucks was the architect of the succession plan? And I don't think it was as B&W as you suggest.

By the way do you think Buckley was the architect of the forward press and Micky boy took credit for it?

I'm happy to believe the scuttlebutt that Bucks proposed the forward press. Has MM ever claimed it was his idea or is it just that as the head coach and the person ultimately responsible that people assume that? I think it's the later.

Who ever said Bucks was the architect of the succession plan? And I don't think it was as B&W as you suggest.

I'm happy to believe the scuttlebutt that Bucks proposed the forward press. Has MM ever claimed it was his idea or is it just that as the head coach and the person ultimately responsible that people assume that? I think it's the later.

It's been inferred by many on this blog site that Buckley was the architect. Maybe. Maybe not. I just can't imagine a bloke like Malthouse implementing a game plan proposed by the bloke who was going to replace him, particularly given that he was extremely unhappy about it. His ego wouldn't allow it.

It's been inferred by many on this blog site that Buckley was the architect. Maybe. Maybe not. I just can't imagine a bloke like Malthouse implementing a game plan proposed by the bloke who was going to replace him, particularly given that he was extremely unhappy about it. His ego wouldn't allow it.

Of the forward press, not the succession plan. I'd be pretty confident that was all Ed.

Happy to disagree on whether MM would implement something proposed by anyone else, Bucks included. His ego was more driven by his quest for ultimate success and it wasn't until late 2011 season that we started to see signs that he'd cut his nose off to spite his face.

I'm thinking of starting a thread just for Anchovies - thoughts, recipes, salt tolerance, where to buy superior brands, are they threatened with extinction, anchovies vs sardines etc
my wife (dear petal she is) has just this minute informed me she "quite likes an anchovy or two ... in the background"
FMD - now I'll have to do a tomato sauce with anchovies - will def be fried off / gently sauteed with the onions and garlic to start with

Last edited:
Yeah, but MM was a prickly tosser in his dealings with many, well before he arrived at Collingwood. This isn't about whether MM could be a prickly tosser. I'd happily agree with your version of events if it was just a matter of suggesting that MM was probably a prickly tosser towards Bucks. I agree that it's likely that he was a prickly tosser towards Bucks, but the notion that often gets thrown around is that he intentionally stalled Bucks's development as a coach through locking him out. It's quite possible that he did. I certainly wouldn't put it past him. I'm simply suggesting that if you believe that he did this, it doesn't make any sense to credit Bucks with the successful idea and implementation of our forward press.
you could say MM was as salty as an .... anchovy

logic dictates Buckley - (fwd coach) had major major input into if not the instigator of the fwd press

I'd say Buckley had some pretty rancid "cultural" issues to deal with - legacy of MM, Pert sticking his nose into everything etc

He was a total prick in 2011 and beyond to Bucks.

I couldn’t give a stuff who invented the press.......if that stubborn egomaniac played Goldsack instead of his love child we wouldn’t have had to watch two Grand Finals in two weeks.

P.S Bucks definitely threw Mayne under the Bus back then and contrary to popular belief on here was instrumental in his recruitment.
I've got no objection to MM being labelled a prick who treated Bucks like s**t. It wouldn't surprise me at all. It's just when posters also throw in Bucks getting credit for the success of that team due to the press that it riles me as it reads like absolutely ridiculous propaganda.

you could say MM was as salty as an .... anchovy

logic dictates Buckley - (fwd coach) had major major input into if not the instigator of the fwd press

I'd say Buckley had some pretty rancid "cultural" issues to deal with - legacy of MM, Pert sticking his nose into everything etc

Logic dictates that if Bucks had major major input, MMs behaviour towards him in 2010-2011 wasn't as unprofessional and appalling as it is regularly sold as on this board.

Agree that in 2012 Bucks was up aginst due to thee factors that you've mentioned.

I've got no objection to MM being labelled a prick who treated Bucks like s**t. It wouldn't surprise me at all. It's just when posters also throw in Bucks getting credit for the success of that team due to the press that it riles me as it reads like absolutely ridiculous propaganda.

That's what was coming out of the club from the various posters with sources at the club. I'd have thought Luke Ball's addition to the club and some Saints IP also played a role.

Logic dictates that if Bucks had major major input, MMs behaviour towards him in 2010-2011 wasn't as unprofessional and appalling as it is regularly sold as on this board.

Agree that in 2012 Bucks was up aginst due to thee factors that you've mentioned.
well stupid me for saying major x 2 - now I'm confused as to what I meant and therefore not sure what you mean - but my fault for focussing too much on anchovies

Definitely propaganda....didn’t St.Kilda have “the press” in 2009?

It's impossible to focus too much on anchovies - glorious little things.
since my wife informed me of her stance on anchovies I will have to reassess (slightly) my stance and consider including them in my next batch of tomato pasta sauce - might head down to Leo's to pick up a gourmet brand - if challenged whilst out I will advise the constabulary that BF has declared anchovies an essential ingredient in the standard suburban household...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

since my wife informed me of her stance on anchovies I will have to reassess (slightly) my stance and consider including them in my next batch of tomato pasta sauce - might head down to Leo's to pick up a gourmet brand - if challenged whilst out I will advise the constabulary that BF has declared anchovies an essential ingredient in the standard suburban household...
They'll dissolve. You won't even notice them in the sauce, but you'll notice that the sauce tastes better.

I want to say we all need our plural of nemesis, but what is the plural?
Nemesis seems to be derived from the Greek plural nemeses but there is no English plural. Otherwise I will play no stroke and allow the ball to pass through to the keeper, as was my style as a callow youth playing weekend cricket with the big boys at the local pitch.

Be conservative with the pesky little things, they can dominate the flavour if you go too hard.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back