Opinion Aggressive Dogs & Kids

Remove this Banner Ad

After a bit of advice.

I've got a Border Collie, pure bred and had him since he was a puppy. Well trained. I can take him walking off the lead, never runs off, always stops at road intersections, sits when I ask him to and is just a great dog in this respect.

My problem is though, he's been and continues to be aggressive around some kids. Never around mine, but when they bring friends around I've had instances where he's bailed them up growling and one instance where he actually bit a child on the hand. The biting incident was when I had him chained up with a bone and the kid approached him to pat him and the rest is history. Yes the kids should never go near him eating, especially a bone, I should've supervised also more closely but I have seen him bail kids up growling and aggressive a couple of times.

He's so placid around us, including my kids but I can't have him if he's like that around my mates kids or our own kids friends. Our kids are 7 & 9 so I have plenty of years left with other kids coming over to play and sleep overs.

What are my options. I told my wife if he continued this aggressive behavior I would look at putting him down but it would break mine and the families heart but I can't risk him around others. I thought about building a run and looking him in there whenever people are over but it's still a little risky in that if people come over unannounced and we aren't home something may happen.

So odd that he's not aggressive around others. He's no good as a guard dog as he hides in the bushes until he knows who it is and then comes out.

What are my options? Do I have options? Has anyone had an aggressive dog around children. I just don't understand it, like I said he's so well trained around our family.

After a bit of advice.

I've got a Border Collie, pure bred and had him since he was a puppy. Well trained. I can take him walking off the lead, never runs off, always stops at road intersections, sits when I ask him to and is just a great dog in this respect.

My problem is though, he's been and continues to be aggressive around some kids. Never around mine, but when they bring friends around I've had instances where he's bailed them up growling and one instance where he actually bit a child on the hand. The biting incident was when I had him chained up with a bone and the kid approached him to pat him and the rest is history. Yes the kids should never go near him eating, especially a bone, I should've supervised also more closely but I have seen him bail kids up growling and aggressive a couple of times.

He's so placid around us, including my kids but I can't have him if he's like that around my mates kids or our own kids friends. Our kids are 7 & 9 so I have plenty of years left with other kids coming over to play and sleep overs.

What are my options. I told my wife if he continued this aggressive behavior I would look at putting him down but it would break mine and the families heart but I can't risk him around others. I thought about building a run and looking him in there whenever people are over but it's still a little risky in that if people come over unannounced and we aren't home something may happen.

So odd that he's not aggressive around others. He's no good as a guard dog as he hides in the bushes until he knows who it is and then comes out.

What are my options? Do I have options? Has anyone had an aggressive dog around children. I just don't understand it, like I said he's so well trained around our family.
How old is he NT?

After a bit of advice.

Have you thought about getting one of those collars that goes over the dogs mouth that stop them from being able to bite people?

Yeah a muzzle might work but would be a pain to throw it on every time someone came over... Funnily my dad had some issues with his dachshund who was very intent on biting everything that moved, he got around to taking her to a trainer or crazy dog whisperer or something and they suggested spraying her with water from a water bottle whenever she acted up (seen South Park? :L). She seems to have become a lot more docile since.

NT, sounds like you have a problem. I'd be concerned to have the dog around kids.

Years ago an old family labrador at a party bit my friend's son on the face, and nearly severed his nose. The boy was about six, and being silly around the dog as kids do, and the dog lost it. No one ever predicted it would happen, no history of aggression from the dog, although the dog's age may have been a factor.

The little boy was subjected to years of operations and plastic surgery, and still has some facial scaring.

Wow. That's tough.

Can't you just keep the kids away from the dog?

I have 2 very powerful dogs, luckily none have shown any aggression or id find them a home. Having said that my kids know when the dog is eating we stay away, we don't hurt the dog and we never play with the dogs unless mummy it daddy is present.

Is it possible the kids taunted the dog?

My mum works in dog rescue, so have a bit of experience.I know with one of our dogs at home, we put hours of training, teaching her only nip with her gums, as sort of a precautionary thing say if anything was to happen. It's prevented serious injury.

Sometimes socialization can come into it too. When they are a puppy, they need to meet as many people and dogs as possible (in a controlled, supervised environment, mind you) in the first 12 weeks of their life. Workers, kids, tradies, you name it. It can be a bit of a pain, but it saves a longer amount of time teaching them as an older dog.

Dogs rarely just snap. Usually (but not always), there are very subtle warning signs that point to a dog being uncomfortable or stressed out, ie. excessive licking, panting or yawning, or repeatedly turning away from the person.

I hope your situation works out for your family & the dog.

He was really hot and bothered, I remember watching him panting all morning so I imagine he was pretty irratible.

I'll build a run and lock him away when ever friends are over. My mates sister is a vet up the road here so I'll have a chat with her also on some other ideas.

My mum works in dog rescue, so have a bit of experience.I know with one of our dogs at home, we put hours of training, teaching her only nip with her gums, as sort of a precautionary thing say if anything was to happen. It's prevented serious injury.

Sometimes socialization can come into it too. When they are a puppy, they need to meet as many people and dogs as possible (in a controlled, supervised environment, mind you) in the first 12 weeks of their life. Workers, kids, tradies, you name it. It can be a bit of a pain, but it saves a longer amount of time teaching them as an older dog.

Dogs rarely just snap. Usually (but not always), there are very subtle warning signs that point to a dog being uncomfortable or stressed out, ie. excessive licking, panting or yawning, or repeatedly turning away from the person.

I hope your situation works out for your family & the dog.

Your mum rescued any American Staffy pups that need a home? :D

Last edited:
After a bit of advice.

It'd be a shame to have to take any radical action with what sounds like such a great dog. Might just have to be extra cautious with him. Can he be fed in an isolated area perhaps whre the kids cannot go? I'm the same with my Staffy. Not that he's a threat to kids or people. In fact he's quite the opposite. He never shown any aggression to people at all. Other dogs can be interesting though. I just avoid situations where he can get into scuffles with other dogs now, just in case.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It'd be a shame to have to take any radical action with what sounds like such a great dog. Might just have to be extra cautious with him. Can he be fed in an isolated area perhaps whre the kids cannot go? I'm the same with my Staffy. Not that he's a threat to kids or people. In fact he's quite the opposite. He never shown any aggression to people at all. Other dogs can be interesting though. I just avoid situations where he can get into scuffles with other dogs now, just in case.
My kelpie lost a tooth to a staffy that attacked her. She growled at an off lead staffy who had taken her ball. The staffy dropped the ball and went for her. I never trusted staffies near my dogs after that incident.

My kelpie was a nervous type and could be snappy around kids. Fortunately I didn't have any children of my own. You have a tough decision to make NT.

My kelpie lost a tooth to a staffy that attacked her. She growled at an off lead staffy who had taken her ball. The staffy dropped the ball and went for her. I never trusted staffies near my dogs after that incident.

My kelpie was a nervous type and could be snappy around kids. Fortunately I didn't have any children of my own. You have a tough decision to make NT.

In my life I've owned an ex cop German shepherd, some dingo cross thing I bought from Preston market when I came to aus, another Germo, a rotti x ridgeback, 3 German short haired pointers, an American bulldog and beautiful American staffordahire terrier.

The only dogs out of that bunch I've never got a growl or a bite off were the 2 Americans and the pointers.

The Staffy in particular was the best dog I've seen with kids. My kids would pull his ears, tail, basically annoy the crap out of him. Once it began to bother him he'd just walk off. The bulldog is almost as good also with a super high annoyance threshold. Only problem is she's and almost 60kg dog and she loves nothing more than collapsing on anyone beat her for a cuddle.

Of all dogs, the an staff for me had to be the most stupid but overall best natures dog I've come across. He was dominant early but he learnt very quickly who was boss. Used to have all sorts of dogs wanting to challenge him during walks - generally off the leash dogs with poor handlers who'd get angry with my "pit bull" looking so aggressive while their unleashed mutts were free to roam because they were "safe" dogs.

I have several rules with dogs, one being never take them off the leash in public places. At the end of the day you can never be totally in control of an animal that's not restrained. Another being never leave any dog unsupervised with any kids.

Many may not agree but I don't like to leave things to chance.

Gees, I miss my Staffy. Beautiful dog, great friend. Dumb dog though, but best I've had.

In my life I've owned an ex cop German shepherd, some dingo cross thing I bought from Preston market when I came to aus, another Germo, a rotti x ridgeback, 3 German short haired pointers, an American bulldog and beautiful American staffordahire terrier.

The only dogs out of that bunch I've never got a growl or a bite off were the 2 Americans and the pointers.

The Staffy in particular was the best dog I've seen with kids. My kids would pull his ears, tail, basically annoy the crap out of him. Once it began to bother him he'd just walk off. The bulldog is almost as good also with a super high annoyance threshold. Only problem is she's and almost 60kg dog and she loves nothing more than collapsing on anyone beat her for a cuddle.

Of all dogs, the an staff for me had to be the most stupid but overall best natures dog I've come across. He was dominant early but he learnt very quickly who was boss. Used to have all sorts of dogs wanting to challenge him during walks - generally off the leash dogs with poor handlers who'd get angry with my "pit bull" looking so aggressive while their unleashed mutts were free to roam because they were "safe" dogs.

I have several rules with dogs, one being never take them off the leash in public places. At the end of the day you can never be totally in control of an animal that's not restrained. Another being never leave any dog unsupervised with any kids.

Gees, I miss my Staffy. Beautiful dog, great friend. Dumb dog though, but best I've had.
I will never deny that staffies are restrained around humans. I just haven't had good experiences with them around other dogs. I guess that our subjective experience no matter whether representative or not determines the opinions we hold. I am certainly not a fan of pit bulls but they are also definitely not staffies. When I come to think of it, my kelpie used to get on really well with an extra large staffy from up the road. I miss my dogs. :(

I will never deny that staffies are restrained around humans. I just haven't had good experiences with them around other dogs. I guess that our subjective experience no matter whether representative or not determines the opinions we hold. I am certainly not a fan of pit bulls but they are also definitely not staffies. When I come to think of it, my kelpie used to get on really well with an extra large staffy from up the road. I miss my dogs. :(

Yeah, most people don't socialize statues from young as required. certain dogs should require a permit. Anything over 15kgs should require people to do a short 4 hour course. Not good dogs for beginners generally or people with out large dog experience.

Where are your dogs? In the in the fields in the sky along with my lovely Titan?

It's all about being responsible. Mine has never had a real go at another dog. I have mates dogs over all the time and there's not an issue. He's very jealous when it comes to me though and I just don't want to take the chance, so I keep him on a lead when he's out of the house

Of all dogs, the an staff for me had to be the most stupid but overall best natures dog I've come across. He was dominant early but he learnt very quickly who was boss. Used to have all sorts of dogs wanting to challenge him during walks - generally off the leash dogs with poor handlers who'd get angry with my "pit bull" looking so aggressive while their unleashed mutts were free to roam because they were "safe" dogs

Excellent advice

Where are your dogs? In the in the fields in the sky along with my lovely Titan?
Yep. Sadly so. Much as I love dogs, I never want another one because I am the type of person who will never leave them alone or with someone else. Consequently, I didn't go away for 17 years. Actually the staffy up the road my kelpie Spock liked was a monstrous animal with a studded collar that its owner used to walk on the end of a rope. Spock hated staffies but used to make cooing sounds to this one. Who can understand canine love!

Yep. Sadly so. Much as I love dogs, I never want another one because I am the type of person who will never leave them alone or with someone else. Consequently, I didn't go away for 17 years. Actually the staffy up the road my kelpie Spock liked was a monstrous animal with a studded collar that its owner used to walk on the end of a rope. Spock hated staffies but used to make cooing sounds to this one. Who can understand canine love!

Yeah, it's hard to let them go. Luckily for me the old man, the person that gave me my love and respect for dogs, is always to happy to mind my pup(s) when the need arises.

As for canine love, yeah, hilarious.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back