Opinion Aggressive Dogs & Kids

Remove this Banner Ad

I have a neighbour over the road and another next door who have golden retrievers that are left by themselves for 10-24 hours a day. I find it heart-breaking looking out the bathroom window at the end of the house to see the one next door standing by the fence in the hope that I will come out and give it a pat. Golden retrievers are the most social of almost any breed, not the type you leave outside for hours and days on end to fend for themselves. I have spoken gently to the owners but despite their promises to spend more time with their dogs, there is absolutely no improvement. Beautiful dogs with s**t owners. I don't understand why some people want to own dogs.

I have a neighbour over the road and another next door who have golden retrievers that are left by themselves for 10-24 hours a day. I find it heart-breaking looking out the bathroom window at the end of the house to see the one next door standing by the fence in the hope that I will come out and give it a pat. Golden retrievers are the most social of almost any breed, not the type you leave outside for hours and days on end to fend for themselves. I have spoken gently to the owners but despite their promises to spend more time with their dogs, there is absolutely no improvement. Beautiful dogs with s**t owners. I don't understand why some people want to own dogs.
Understand what you're saying but we all own dogs for different reasons and maybe it's more a case of people getting the wrong type of dog more than the way they treat them.

I've had dogs all my life. my parents bred dogs and I remember being dragged all around the country to dog shows and in the end I hated it. We had up to 10-12 dogs at any one time and I only ever recall maybe one dog being an inside 'pet'. I had about 20 years where I never owned a dog, was a welcome break. I got a dog for a few reason. 1st was that I was travelling every second week, sounds funny, but I wanted a dog around the house while my wife was around with the kids alone at home. secondly, I wanted my kids to be comfortable, not complacent, around dogs. Thirdly I wanted to be more active and get out and walk so he gave me much needed motivation. We also had a few acres and still do and I wanted someone to cruise around with. I never let my dog inside. He's happy outside and I'm happy with him there. My wife lets him in now and then when I'm not around for maybe an hour but he's too restless and wants out.

I hate people coming to my place and having a crack at me about how I treat my dog because I don't let him inside. My mother in law is the worst for this and it pisses me off. She has this poodle with attitude that she lets wander all around my house and it shits me to tears. The thing growls at me when I go new its bed and the Mother in-law just says "well you are near his space" too which I usually reply "this is actually my house". I would trust my Border Collie more than that spoilt s**t of a poodle around my kids.

But anyway, we all have dogs for different reason. I've got plenty of mates with dogs that spend each and every day in runs and only get let out to go hunting or working, but that's what they were bred and raised for.

Golden retrievers though being left alone for long periods would be annoying, especially if in small yards. I especially hate dog owners that let their dogs wander the street fighting or running all over the roads...it's especially bad here rural Darwin. I can leave my gates open for a week and my dog won't leave the yard unless I tell him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back