Strategy Aggressive reset

Remove this Banner Ad

Jacobs is the concern. As is Wright. How can they both miss 2 YEARS of footy?? Joke
Wells I maintain was his own doing.

Tarrant and Garner though are success stories so not sure where or how we rate this overall.
He did rule a line through Jaeger O'meara didn't he? I'd count that as a big success considering what he would have cost

It's difficult not to compare our "Aggressive Reset" to Ports, or even now more recently, Freo's.

From my perspective our approach was very much "one foot in, one foot out", I view it as quite half a**ed. The club tried to take short-cuts, and despite bringing in some really promising young players, also topped up with fringe players from other clubs, which has now been revealed as the wrong approach.

If you compare draft hands (in the top 40) since 2017..

Port - Pick 5, 12, 14, 18, 18, 25
Freo - Pick 2, 5, 7, 8, 9, 17, 32
North - Pick 4, 8, 23, 31, 34, 35

Speaks for itself really, Freo have had 5 in the top 10 Vs our 2, Port have had 5 in the top 20 Vs our 2.

With 2, 12 & 27 currently in 2020, our mix looks better, however both these clubs have done a great job at "Aggressively Resetting" through the draft, and something we must do over the next two drafts.

I think the lesson to be learned from all of this is that a young AA caliber player who could earn a million dollars at any club is never going to put his hand up to play for North Melbourne. At least not while we're at the bottom of the ladder and have been perceived as irrelevant for most current footballer's lives.

Therefore we need to avoid any list management strategies that rely on bringing in high cost players for any reason besides putting the finishing touches on an already proven team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I blame them for not doing a proper rebuild.

You don't believe that adding Martin & Kelly to the 2018 list could have produced a premiership?

I think the lesson to be learned from all of this is that a young AA caliber player who could earn a million dollars at any club is never going to put his hand up to play for North Melbourne. At least not while we're at the bottom of the ladder and have been perceived as irrelevant for most current footballer's lives.

Therefore we need to avoid any list management strategies that rely on bringing in high cost players for any reason besides putting the finishing touches on an already proven team.

Not only that, Fremantle leveraged their NGA situation with Liam Henry correctly last year and managed to take 3 players in the top 10.

We took completely the wrong tactic at the time by basically rendering pick #12 as useless and a free hit at the trade table for Polec.

Port intern with some creative trading turned the Polec pick into Connor Rozee.

We missed a huge (and probably our only opportunity with our NGA academy) to leverage into the strongest draft in a decade. We only had 4 selections to overcome with trading and we walk away with Bailey Smith and Tarryn Thomas.

No club since has looked at the NGA strategy as an opportunity to "burn the pick". Every club has tried to get ahead of their pick to double down on the draft.

Not only that, Fremantle leveraged their NGA situation with Liam Henry correctly last year and managed to take 3 players in the top 10.

We took completely the wrong tactic at the time by basically rendering pick #12 as useless and a free hit at the trade table for Polec.

Port intern with some creative trading turned the Polec pick into Connor Rozee.

We missed a huge (and probably our only opportunity with our NGA academy) to leverage into the strongest draft in a decade. We only had 4 selections to overcome with trading and we walk away with Bailey Smith and Tarryn Thomas.

No club since has looked at the NGA strategy as an opportunity to "burn the pick". Every club has tried to get ahead of their pick to double down on the draft.
Quickly our role in the competition is becoming "the cautionary tale".

You said that they did just before.

How did you come across this thread and what was your purpose in bumping it?

I mean, it had been asleep for 34 months, so why the bump? Is there a purpose?

Quickly our role in the competition is becoming "the cautionary tale".

It's not like it wasn't an obvious option, from August 2018:

Pykie said:
It is definitely the #1 scenario. Getting a pick ahead of Thomas should be #1 priority

Adding Hately, Smith or Rozee for example AND Thomas, really starts to build the list up.

That's why if we are to trade it, I'd prefer if it is for a former high draft pick out of GWS or GC.

We are still in a rebuild of some sorts. With Garner being perennially injured and McDonald looking less likely being the player we hoped, we run a risk of having a bit of an age gap.

Our road map over the next 3 years should be to get 4 first round pick midfield talents into the club, which ever way we can.

Snake Baker said:
Interesting thought re- Tarryn's draft range and slipping to our 1st round pick.

We could make out like bandits and snag another top 10 player in the draft.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back