Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 9, 2000
Gold Coast, QLD
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Boston Red Sox (MLB)
23-15 to England...
I love the wallabies, there a great side, but geez they are very in-consistent in my opinion.

Is that the only game againist them, or is it a 3 test series?
RE-MATCH! I WANT REVENGE! :D

It's the only Test against England, Nick. We'll have to wait awhile for the next chance at making it right. We always seem to struggle at Twickenham, not sure why. I was at a pub last night and hardly saw any of the game, but if you're down 15-0, all points off the boot, it generally shows the opposition has had us going backwards for the first half and we've had to give away penalties to stop them getting more points on the board. (and before anyone jumps, I know there are a couple of drop goals in there as well)

I did see the haltime stats and England had something like 77% of possession, no wonder we couldn't put any pressure on them. Looks like they've settled down better in the 2nd half, but couldn't overcome the weight of possession from earlier on.
Congrats to your side, Dipp. You must have executed your game plan very well. You'll be pleased getting one back on us, what was your take on the game?

Absolutely Pathetic is the only way you can describe that Rabble that put on the Wallabies guernsey on last night :mad:

Very inconsistent? Dunno about that, considering the Cook Trophy is the only one we don't have in the cupboard at the moment.

England are a good side and they completely dominated the first half. We were lucky that our solid defence (and a few penalties ;) ) stopped us from being further behind.

We gave them a scare with two second half tries, the first a belter, but the better team won. Playing them at home is no easy win and they deserve some credit.

Our plan to kick and put some pressure on their full back deep in his own territory didn't even get a look in but they executed theirs perfectly.

Well done England.

Originally posted by elt
Very inconsistent? Dunno about that, considering the Cook Trophy is the only one we don't have in the cupboard at the moment.

Inconsistent, as we play amazing, then next game we are shocking. Or vica-versa (british lions tour)

How's the cheek of Clive Woodward??? :eek:

But then again ... Eddie Jones has fueled the fire somewhat!

Hippie,

Cheers for the congrats, I would have been pretty pleased to win whatever the circumstances but the first half where the Aussies had virtually no ball at all was pretty special.It's obvious that we dominated up front & if you do that you expect to win, I read the other thread slagging off the England style of play saying that it was 10 man rugby but trying to be objective I just didnt' see it like that.
England hardly kicked any ball at all even in their own half instead they regularly kept recycling the ball & it seemed to me they were looking for the try.Obviously they were happy to kick pens when the Wallabies gave them away in their own half but who wouldn't?
There's always a slight sense of dissapointment when you win a game but score less tries than the other side I'm really not sure whether the reason is that i)Australia have a sharper cutting edge when they're close to the opposition line,ii)the Australian defence is better or iii) Australia gave away penalties in order to stop England scoring tries.

I'd like to know what everyone else thought, its pretty easy to look at the scoring & say it's the same old England playing boring rugby but I look at the game & I saw the Wallabies kicking a lot more ball, mainly to Robinson & he ran everything back at them he only kicked the ball once in the whole game.One of the stats after the game was that the English wings saw the ball 26 times compared with the Aussie wingers 7 times, so it would seem that we weren't just sticking with the forwards.

From an Australian point of view I'd say that there's a lot of strength in the back 3 positions & the half backs are class but the centres whilst pretty strong in defence seem like a pair of boshers to me, they just seem to try to run through people-rather than someone like a Timmy Horan who looks for the gap.The back 5 in the pack are a pretty good unit but you really need a pair of top notch props because the ones you've got aren't up to the job.

Congrats. to England......

A job well done. I actually think it was well planned by the English coaching staff (and players of course) and Australia were not prepared mentally for the onslaught:(

Dipper, I don't think it was a boring display by England at all and your guys deserve all the credit.

In my other thread I mentioned teams have to be switched on to win, and Australia really came into the game unprepared mentally and physically....but hey, that's the breaks, isn't it.

England played fantastic rugby:)
Good luck to them.

Dipper,

I think the Wallaby defence can take some of the credit for the drop goal mentality. For all the talk about us throwing the ball wide, it is our defence that has won or kept us in games for the last few years. However, attacking sides should still be able to get across with the amount of possession and territory your guys had in that first half.

The main reason I posted in the other thread about the lack of English tries (is that the collective noun? ;) ) was the way that the English have claimed to be so attacking. Sure the aim of the game is to win and the losers can please themselves, but those claims still sound a little hollow to me.

The problem I guess is that your forwards provide such a good platform and Wilkinson is so accurate why wouldn't you keep punching in close?

The area I was most disappointed in from the Wallabies was the lineouts. It was where we put pressure on the Lions and tried to combat their maul in the series here. That certainly wasn't the case this time.

Full credit to your boys for the win, I just don't believe they are as attacking as they believe. Not at the try line anyway.

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Guess what games were shown in New Zealand over the weekend.

Wales v Argentina, Scotland v Tonga and Ireland v Samoa. Com' on who in their right mind is going to get up watch that c rap. :mad:

Still according to my newspaper the final result flattered Australia.

I remember watching the ABs comprehensively lose to England in 94 on Twickers, and after knowing the ABs were going to win the test the result was quite the shock.

To me this result shows how at this level all the main players are now almost even, and have been for some time, making big test match rugby such a must watch.

It is a game of exploiting the slightest advantage, rather than 100 metre tries.

Player,
thats' pretty tough mate getting lumbered with those games, although despite my dislike for anything Argentinian it was still great to see the Taffies getting stuffed especially at home.

What interested me as well as the England result was France beating Souuth Africa, they also drew a series 1-1 with SA in SA this (European) summer.Now I know all you blokes don't really rate the 6 Nations as a comp compared with the Tri Nations & England's credibiltiy nose dived a bit with the loss to Ireland but France were terrible in this years 6 Nations, Ireland are definitely rated above them by most people here, so for them to comfortably beat SA & with England beating the Aussies I really think that the idea that European rugby is a long way behind must change.Sure the Welsh & Scots aren't up to a lot at the moment but the overall standard is improving.A tournament of Aus, NZ, SA,Eng, Fra & maybe Ire would certainly be intersting.

I rememebr that game in 94, a great victory for us but that really was 10 man rugby unlike I believe this weekend's game.I rememebr Jamie Joseph trying to break Bracken's ankle on his debut but the little bloke battled through the game.I also seem to rememebr there was a storm after the game about Sean Fitzpatrick calling Victor Ubogu a black b******.What dissapointed me about that game was that we celebrated too much & then sat back & thought everything was hunky dory for the next world cup while the ABs went home & made sure they were never that bad again.It all came back to haunt us in the semi final of that World Cup, I've never been so shocked after 20 minutes of a rugby match.

Elt,
Some pretty fair comment there, I would say that perhaps England aren't as attacking as they think but they do try & perhaps it was more of a case of not having that spark to break the Wallaby's line who we should not forget are World Champs & have the bets defence in the game.We could probably learn a lot more about how the 2 sides compare when England next play you in Aussie, hopefully that'll be next June or July, but I really would like a 2 or 3 match series over there (doubt it will happen though).I reckon an England side would actually be a tougher nut to crack than the Lions(if for no other reason than we wouldn't have Henry as coach)

Cheers

Originally posted by DIPPER

From an Australian point of view I'd say that there's a lot of strength in the back 3 positions & the half backs are class but the centres whilst pretty strong in defence seem like a pair of boshers to me, they just seem to try to run through people-rather than someone like a Timmy Horan who looks for the gap.The back 5 in the pack are a pretty good unit but you really need a pair of top notch props because the ones you've got aren't up to the job.

I reckon that's an excellent analysis Dipper.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Worth remembering that while the Wallabies have kept on winning they haven't been dominant in the way that, say the Hockeyroos have. They don't bury teams, they just know how to win games (as the ABs and South Africans know too well). They don't need to fall far to be right back with the pack.

Originally posted by DIPPER
We could probably learn a lot more about how the 2 sides compare when England next play you in Aussie, hopefully that'll be next June or July, but I really would like a 2 or 3 match series over there (doubt it will happen though).I reckon an England side would actually be a tougher nut to crack than the Lions(if for no other reason than we wouldn't have Henry as coach)

I'd love to see a three test series here but as you say it's pretty unlikely. The big difference for mine (apart from your mate Henry) is that the English side is used to playing together more so than the Lions. That's always a problem with composite teams.

France knocking off the Boks has probably added a little more interest into the next Wallabies tour game too. It should be interesting, Jones is saying he thinks the French pack is bigger and better than the English one. Ominous signs after the belting our forwards got at Twickenham.

Originally posted by elt

Jones is saying he thinks the French pack is bigger and better than the English one.

He must be blind:confused: ......they may be bigger(fatter) but better Idon't think so, maybe I'll send him the video of our game against them last season when we blew them away scoring over 40 points.

I'd expect your blokes to beat them, any ring rust will be out of the system after the England game & the Wallabies don't lose 2 on the bounce very often.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back