List Mgmt. Ahern, LDU & Simpkin

Go_Roos!

Club Legend
May 2, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
It’s a pointless exercise if you are constantly playing veterans to eek out a few cheap wins.

There has to be a time where you expose youth to the level knowing you are going to most likely lose the game with an eye to the future.

Mid table finishes with veterans is just a waste of time.
Go down the Carlton route then, that seems to be successful!

Aug 25, 2006
Mount Waverley
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Go down the Carlton route then, that seems to be successful!
Or the Brad Scott route?

That’s been really successful too.

Don’t judge Carlton too quickly, if it clicks for them they have the talent to climb up that ladder very quickly. Maybe a new coach will also bring the success they need?

At the moment I know which list I would rather have.

Psicosis

Brownlow Medallist
May 7, 2012
Bird Rock
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Rotating midfields of Goldy &:

a) Cunnington, LDU, Anderson
b) Cunnington, Ahern, Simpkin
c) Higgins, LDU, Simpkin
d) Higgins, Ahern, Anderson

Arent going to get absolutely ravaged

Nov 17, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Rotating midfields of Goldy &:

a) Cunnington, LDU, Anderson
b) Cunnington, Ahern, Simpkin
c) Higgins, LDU, Simpkin
d) Higgins, Ahern, Anderson

Arent going to get absolutely ravaged

Have you already forgotten the Good Friday game? Or the second half of last year and the first five rounds of this year?

Nov 17, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
As opposed to? The great midfield performances we've put on all year besides those you highlighted?

We're still a historically bad centre clearance team, but at least playing Ziebell and Anderson stems the bleeding somewhat and prevents teams scoring from the middle.

Psicosis

Brownlow Medallist
May 7, 2012
Bird Rock
AFL Club
North Melbourne
We're still a historically bad centre clearance team, but at least playing Ziebell and Anderson stems the bleeding somewhat and prevents teams scoring from the middle.

Absolutely pro Jed Anderson playing as a midfielder. Im suggesting that our younger midfielders get more/some/any midfield exposure to help their development.

If Jacks sole purpose as a midfielder is to "stem the bleeding", then as suspected we are in a pretty dark place. Would rather we give his minutes to someone with a higher ceiling as a midfielder.

Happy enough for Jack to still play somewhat as a forward/midfielder, however the balance at the moment of our senior mids & our highest rated young mids is completely off for a side sitting 2-7 @ 17th spot.

Psicosis

Brownlow Medallist
May 7, 2012
Bird Rock
AFL Club
North Melbourne
The same people wanting Scott to play youth and risk losing games are the same ones wanting him to get sacked because he's losing games.

Potentially the same people who wanted Jy Simpkin gone three weeks ago because he's a "dud".

This is fundamentally wrong from my perspective.

I want Brad Scott fired because he's had 10 years of mediocrity without seriously pushing for a flag OR building & developing a talented list.

He and Joyce have spent the last 10 years in a "Nowhere Land", without any real commitment to building a strong foundation list of talented footballers from both a drafting, recruiting & development perspective. If Brad had come out last year and committed to an actual rebuild "we are going to focus on building a foundation" through drafting, trading & developing, yet we were still 17th - from my perspective, he wouldn't have the same level of irate supporter base, because people would understand that they will have to endure some short term pain for that long term gain.

Instead we have had 10 years of mediocrity without any real clear direction, minimal top draft picks, minimal finals appearances, minimal hope for the future.

*Disclaimer, please spare me the "We pushed when we made the prelim" comments - that team was never going to win a premiership.

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Do you play SuperCoach? I don’t think any of these 3 would be attractive pickups on SuperCoach...

Struggling to understand the point of your post, besides the usual attention grab. You’re suggesting these three shouldn’t have games in the midfield and we should continue with the senior players getting predominant game time?

Any suggestion that he doesn't agree with is denigrated as "Supercoach". Snake doesn't buy into the idea that you need to get games into young players for them to develop. it seems he believes they will arrive as fully formed AFL players in a year or so and that you only ever pick the best 22 available regardless of their age and the stage of development that the team is at. I disagree with that view and believe that at 2 and 6 it is time to take a different approach than if we were 5 and 3 with a genuine ambition to make the finals.

There are two things I would like to see us focus on, development and standards. I believe getting more games now into our best prospects like LDU, Ahern, Bailey, etc will stand us in the best possible stead for 2021/22. They will either gain the experience and confidence needed to play well at the highest level or we will find out they are not good enough. As for standards, I would mandate that any player that continues to bomb the ball long and high to contests, especially forward 50 entries, will be doing so in the VFL. If we don't focus on decision making and execution it will never improve. McMillan would probably be a decent place to start, his decision making was appalling on the weekend. I would probably drop McDonald and Turner as well. Both have been persevered with for a long time.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Have you already forgotten the Good Friday game? Or the second half of last year and the first five rounds of this year?

It's not as if they're football experts.

The only time you play a heap of underprepared kids is when you cut the list savagely. Otherwise, the only rational course is to expose them when they're ready.

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Absolutely pro Jed Anderson playing as a midfielder. Im suggesting that our younger midfielders get more/some/any midfield exposure to help their development.

If Jacks sole purpose as a midfielder is to "stem the bleeding", then as suspected we are in a pretty dark place. Would rather we give his minutes to someone with a higher ceiling as a midfielder.

Happy enough for Jack to still play somewhat as a forward/midfielder, however the balance at the moment of our senior mids & our highest rated young mids is completely off for a side sitting 2-7 @ 17th spot.

The best teams have 8 to 10 players in their 22 that can rotate through the midfield. We should be able to play guys with a range of experience through there.

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Yep, every one of them deserves to be in the side to, he isn't just gifting any of them games. He picks the best team to try to win the football match regardless of age. Revolutionary stuff!

Eric Hipwood just off the top of my head has played a bunch of stinkers but Fagan kept the faith and didn't drop him. There would be others. you are delusional if you think Fagan played the absolute best 22 he had available every week since arriving at Brisbane. He has been building.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
It has worked brilliantly for Brisbane. Fagan put faith in the young talent and they are currently sitting top 4.

Please. They played 5 blokes under 22 on saturday, Rayner & Answerth (both 19) did nothing, Berry was average and McLuggage was solid. They still rely on the senior blokes to do the grunt work with McLuggage & Berry supplying only 5.5 of Brisbanes 41 clearances per match over the course of the season. Hipwood is as hit & miss as any other 60 game 21 year old KPF.

Fagan hasn't developed squat.

Brisbane have finished 13th, 15th, 13th, 12th, 15th, 17th, 17th in the previous 7 years then Fagan took them to 18th and 15th over the next two years. He has inherited 7 years of work topped up with a couple of years of cream. If we had a 9 year run like that we would be extinct.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Eric Hipwood just off the top of my head has played a bunch of stinkers but Fagan kept the faith and didn't drop him. There would be others. you are delusional if you think Fagan played the absolute best 22 he had available every week since arriving at Brisbane. He has been building.

He didn't have a bloody choice!

Go_Roos!

Club Legend
May 2, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
He hasn't got much in his NEAFL side. I reckon he plays his best team to win the football match regardless of age.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
He hasn't got much in his NEAFL side. I reckon he plays his best team to win the football match regardless of age.

A 9 year rebuild?

Andrews & Hipwood (the bookends) were bloody academy gifts! Try factoring that in to the "play the kids" calculations!

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
He didn't have a bloody choice!
Please. They played 5 blokes under 22 on saturday, Rayner & Answerth (both 19) did nothing, Berry was average and McLuggage was solid. They still rely on the senior blokes to do the grunt work with McLuggage & Berry supplying only 5.5 of Brisbanes 41 clearances per match over the course of the season. Hipwood is as hit & miss as any other 60 game 21 year old KPF.

Fagan hasn't developed squat.T
Brisbane have finished 13th, 15th, 13th, 12th, 15th, 17th, 17th in the previous 7 years then Fagan took them to 18th and 15th over the next two years. He has inherited 7 years of work topped up with a couple of years of cream. If we had a 9 year run like that we would be extinct.

And yet they are currently top 4 and look well on their way to making finals. We are nowhere near. Tell me why we are better off continuing to play guys that at their best will be b minus type of players like McDonald, Turner, Williams, McMillan etc and not get games into LDU, Ahern, etc

Back