Free Agency Aidan Corr [joins North Melbourne as a RFA for a 2nd round compensation pick]

Remove this Banner Ad

People are motivated by a whole range of factors.

Money, opportunity are two major ones, but there are plenty of others.

Why? Because of the Ben Brown thing?

Again, a rebuild won't be a surprise to him if he has signed there.
It's not just Brown, it Polec, it's Higgins, it's the 11 others they need to replace.

It has to be the biggest list cull I in recent memory.

The guy was good enough to cement a key position spot in a grand final side, I'm sure he could find opportunity at plenty of clubs.

So that just leaves money. As I said, I realise it's a good offer, but it's going to be bloody painful for him.

It's not just Brown, it Polec, it's Higgins, it's the 11 others they need to replace.

The guy was good enough to cement a key position spot in a grand final side, I'm sure he could find opportunity at plenty of clubs.

So that just leaves money. As I said, I realise it's a good offer, but it's going to be bloody painful for him.

Brown is the only player North Melbourne has made any comment on leaving, may mean nothing compared to Polec/Higgins although Polec is fairly media driven and Higgins has given no impression across the season he wants to be anywhere else, not to mention Rawlings has claimed him as one of our untradeable senior players.

As for "11 others they need to replace" it's a little grandiose, even if we work off the more rumoured list change to 38+2 and take out the required 3 draft players (we'll be using our picks) and that we need to upgrade Zurhaar to the senior list we actually need to clear more players to even bring Corr in. It's a big list cull, sure, but any club that wants to draft three kids and pick up a recycled player or two will probably need to move this amount of players. And if the list sizes don't change then we managed to dump a group of out of contract list cloggers.

AIDAN CORR (GREATER WESTERN SYDNEY)

Draft picks:
Second-round / end-of-second-round compensation pick
Value on open market: $400,000-500,000

Headed for North Melbourne after indicating to the Giants earlier this month of his wish to return to Victoria. A proven first-choice defender of his quality moving clubs would likely command a wage above the AFL average. Length of term will determine where the Giants' compensation pick falls.

From memory Carlton cut similarly in the first few years of their rebuild, from a numbers perspective.

It is a big cull but it's a bit silly IMO to think that prospective recruits like Corr wouldn't have known this was a distinct possibility.

Footy fans knew it. The media knew it. Do you honestly believe players like Corr and their managers didn't?

It doesn't just leave money. Players move for a variety of reasons, money and opportunity are just two of them.

I do accept though that money probably had a fair say in this one.

So its actually confirmed that he's nominated us?

As much as Williams to Carlton has been. Player/manager can't say anything on the record until the free agency window starts.

Last edited:
As much as Williams to Carlton has been. Player/manager can't say anything on the record until the free agency window starts.

If it's been reported on AFL DOT COM, it's legit as far as I am concerned, Dirty Dumbledore 👍👍👍👍

Despite the thread title I haven't actually seen any credible source showing that he's actually nominated North Melbourne though.

Given today's news of James Frawley retiring I definitely think he's a realistic shot of landing at the HFC and could prove to be an astute pickup.

Despite the thread title I haven't actually seen any credible source showing that he's actually nominated North Melbourne though.

Given today's news of James Frawley retiring I definitely think he's a realistic shot of landing at the HFC and could prove to be an astute pickup.
Except for the small matter of he’s after a big contract. North can pay him way more than Hawthorn ever could/would.

Except for the small matter of he’s after a big contract. North can pay him way more than Hawthorn ever could/would.
Um ....think our cap space is just fine
high end ...JOM , TITCH , GUNNA and BRUEST
After that just as the rest of the comp keeps telling us .....we have no talent , so why would we be any different than the Roos cap wise ..?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think even on the North board there's some now so burned by trade window that until they see a North polo, anything goes but for the most part the most tangible guide was this article:

and in particular:

"It's been a busy week for the Giants, with defender Aidan Corr announcing to his teammates that he will be leaving the club this season and exploring free agency.

Corr has nominated North Melbourne has his preferred club."

I think even on the North board there's some now so burned by trade window that until they see a North polo, anything goes but for the most part the most tangible guide was this article:

and in particular:

"It's been a busy week for the Giants, with defender Aidan Corr announcing to his teammates that he will be leaving the club this season and exploring free agency.

To be fair TFW....all club boards are the same .
If resent years have taught us something it’s that the player landscape can change dramatically quickly.
As you say ....until they have the polo on !!

If resent years have taught us something it’s that the player landscape can change dramatically quickly.
When a reputable jounro like Cleary is saying things as absolutes it's enough to warrant the thread title change, if anything changes we'll change it again

Can't deny you on that mate... the Dusty/Gaff/Kelly days have given the North board permanent PTSD.

and in particular:

Well there you go.

Thanks for that, bit of a shame we were never a chance, especially with Frawley retiring.

Should be a good pickup for you guys.

Well there you go.

Thanks for that, bit of a shame we were never a chance, especially with Frawley retiring.

Should be a good pickup for you guys.

I'm still erring on the side that the media talk is probably correct, as nobody has contradicted it, but there's still a few weeks until contracts can be signed. And not to go deeper into it but there are some heavy potential issues presenting at Arden St.

I'm still erring on the side that the media talk is probably correct, as nobody has contradicted it, but there's still a few weeks until contracts can be signed. And not to go deeper into it but there are some heavy potential issues presenting at Arden St.
Heard about the issues. So would his manager. I wouldn't be sure on anything unless the ink is dry on a contract.

Heard we first made enquires back in May but it now seems that North might have him in the bag.

The retirement of Frawley leaves me with a glimmer of hope though.

North Melbourne’s player exodus won’t deter GWS Giants’ Aidan Corr from joining the club in massive show of faith in the club’s list rebuild.
The Roos have targeted Corr for months to help bolster the club’s key backline but could let go as many as 14 players in an extraordinary move to rejuvenate the list.

Stars Shaun Higgins, Ben Brown and Jared Polec could all be out the door, prompting speculation Corr could get cold feet and consider a move to Hawthorn.

But the Herald Sun has confirmed Corr, 26, won’t do a backflip on his intention to join North Melbourne and will accept a long-term deal to start a new chapter in blue and white.

North Melbourne’s player exodus won’t deter GWS Giants’ Aidan Corr from joining the club in massive show of faith in the club’s list rebuild.
The Roos have targeted Corr for months to help bolster the club’s key backline but could let go as many as 14 players in an extraordinary move to rejuvenate the list.

Stars Shaun Higgins, Ben Brown and Jared Polec could all be out the door, prompting speculation Corr could get cold feet and consider a move to Hawthorn.

But the Herald Sun has confirmed Corr, 26, won’t do a backflip on his intention to join North Melbourne and will accept a long-term deal to start a new chapter in blue and white.
Course he will... he’s cleaning up! Just get us that end of first found compo Aidos!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back