Who won this trade?

• GWS

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • North Melbourne

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I've seen few of GWS NEAFL games.
Dominated our mids in 1st quarter one game - had about 12 possessions and 5 clearances in the first quarter. Hardly sighted thereafter, finished on 18 touches.
Seems pretty inconsistent.

The only glimpses he has shown have been up forward but not as a key forward.

He showed a stack in that final under 18 game as a Curnow like forward. Good hands on the lead but not sure what GWS have been doing with him at NEAFL level.

The only glimpses he has shown have been up forward but not as a key forward.
He showed a stack in that final under 18 game as a Curnow like forward. Good hands on the lead but not sure what GWS have been doing with him at NEAFL level.

He's 188cm and 86kg. He's not a key forward at AFL level, and doesn't really have the nous and tricks from what I've seen to be a main forward target. He's only getting games up forward for GWS to get games into him and introduce him to AFL level. Similar path to Taranto, and he projects to be an inside mid like Taranto too.

If Essendon got him, and used him as something other than an inside mid (given their needs), they'd be silly.

He's 188cm and 86kg. He's not a key forward at AFL level, and doesn't really have the nous and tricks from what I've seen to be a main forward target. He's only getting games up forward for GWS to get games into him and introduce him to AFL level. Similar path to Taranto, and he projects to be an inside mid like Taranto too.

If Essendon got him, and used him as something other than an inside mid (given their needs), they'd be silly.

I don’t believe he’s capable as an inside mid at AFL level, no craft all muscling it and hacking it forward. His best attribute is his movement for his size. He’s only 188cm but has the record for vertical jump and has long limbs. He’s no monster but an undersized key in the Curnow mould is the vision not as a genuine tall.

GWS would rate Bonar more highly than that, no?
Thought his problem was their depth at the position, not that his talent was in question.
Not as across it as others, but assumed something like 20-25, not a 30’s pick with a pick coming back the other way.

Mitch Cleary agreed with a caller on Trade Radio who said that GWS is willing to accept a pick in the late 30s. GWS certainly rate Bonar highly, but he's being paid around $400k per year, and the club needs to save money. I think they value him higher but they are probably more keen on saving the money for Whitfield and Cameron.

I’m not sure of GWS’ 2020 academy prospects, but if we offloaded Cox I’d part ways with our 2020 1st if there was a 2020 pick projected to be in the 35-50 range coming back.

IMO, this is the downside to 4 year rookie contracts (Brander projects as another). If this kid spends the 4 years at GWS it puts a serious dent in his career prospects by the time he can move. I’m sure there’d be some interest post 2021, but traditionally AFL clubs pay peanuts for guys with 15-20 games to their name after that long in the system. Hypothetically Essendon snag him post the 4 year rookie contract as things stand he’d go to them on a 2 year deal on low $’s which means he’s 24 before he can get a serious payday (if the ship doesn’t sail first due to a lack of opportunity or injury)...

Sometimes best intentions can have negative consequences!

Saw a lot of him in the neafl this year and I don't think he is good enough to make it as a midfielder at afl level. He looked sluggish and lacking in agility, with no ability to impose himself on the game. Not sure he works hard enough.
Watched him in the Snow game, and he looked lost. Would not pay much at all here. Scrimshaw type deal at best.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mitch Cleary agreed with a caller on Trade Radio who said that GWS is willing to accept a pick in the late 30s. GWS certainly rate Bonar highly, but he's being paid around $400k per year, and the club needs to save money. I think they value him higher but they are probably more keen on saving the money for Whitfield and Cameron.

Thanks for the background on that one, mate.
Didn’t stop to think that the cap squeeze might be a factor, but with that in mind, it makes more sense.
Cleary seems to take the time to inform himself, does his homework more diligently than some of the others :thumbsu:

Thanks for the background on that one, mate.
Didn’t stop to think that the cap squeeze might be a factor, but with that in mind, it makes more sense.
Cleary seems to take the time to inform himself, does his homework more diligently than some of the others :thumbsu:

No worries. Yeah I would always trust what Cleary says. He doesn't say things he isn't reasonably convinced about

Could be the steak knives of the deal of us giving them Pick 3? Hope we milk it for what it's worth though and try to bend em over backwards!

Could be the steak knives of the deal of us giving them Pick 3? Hope we milk it for what it's worth though and try to bend em over backwards!

I wouldnt involve him in any top 6 trade.

Melbourne gets: Aiden Bonar, Picks 6, 40 & 59.
GWS gets: Picks 3 & 42.

Has us +10.04 on the DV Index.
Why include Bonar? He is exactly the type of player we should not be targeting. Ordinary inside midfielder who struggles to win the footy even at NEAFL. Plus coming with a price tag off 400k a year with 2 years left to run on his contract.

It would be a major disappointment if he is included in any of our trades.

Why include Bonar? He is exactly the type of player we should not be targeting. Ordinary inside midfielder who struggles to win the footy even at NEAFL. Plus coming with a price tag off 400k a year with 2 years left to run on his contract.

It would be a major disappointment if he is included in any of our trades.
Sounds more like a SOS special.

Melbourne gets: Aiden Bonar, Picks 6, 40 & 59.
GWS gets: Picks 3 & 42.

Has us +10.04 on the DV Index.

Its fair but i dont trade top 5 picks for average players imo.

Back