• North Melbourne

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters

Americanpies

Club Legend
May 16, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
I’m not sure of GWS’ 2020 academy prospects, but if we offloaded Cox I’d part ways with our 2020 1st if there was a 2020 pick projected to be in the 35-50 range coming back.

IMO, this is the downside to 4 year rookie contracts (Brander projects as another). If this kid spends the 4 years at GWS it puts a serious dent in his career prospects by the time he can move. I’m sure there’d be some interest post 2021, but traditionally AFL clubs pay peanuts for guys with 15-20 games to their name after that long in the system. Hypothetically Essendon snag him post the 4 year rookie contract as things stand he’d go to them on a 2 year deal on low $’s which means he’s 24 before he can get a serious payday (if the ship doesn’t sail first due to a lack of opportunity or injury)...

Sometimes best intentions can have negative consequences!

The whole academy thing is a load of garbage. It's just back to the zoning of the 80's.

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
The whole academy thing is a load of garbage. It's just back to the zoning of the 80's.
Right up there with F/S, a GF that is only in Victoria and the 3rd party payments available to Victorian clubs unlike the Northern Clubs.

I'm all for changing the Academies as long as all benefits based off location are canned or moved on.

Jul 25, 2008
The Linc
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Oakland Raiders

The academies are fantastic and if this is your thinking I can only assume that your understanding of them is limited because they’re nothing like the old zones.

Last year Collingwood selected Atu Bosenavulagi with our last pick in the draft. He’s a borderline AFL talent so I’m not sure if he makes it or not, but if he wasn’t in our academy he likely goes undrafted which reduces the size of the draft pool and is obviously a negative for him.

Over time the academy system will produce hundreds of Atu’s which is great for the game and I’ll wear the odd Quaynor or Green to see more marginal talent getting opportunities! I would however suggest changes to the way academy and U18 players are acquired because I think the current system has become a shemozzle on draft night with clubs using 3 picks in the 40’s and 50’s to get top 15 talent then receiving a pick at the back of the draft...

It’s fairly radical, but I’d shift to a player auction rather than draft. Post season each club receives points based on ladder position which they then use to silent bid on players come auction night. Instead of clubs trading picks they trade points. It would add a bit of intrigue back to the draft and would separate the men from the boys. Once it’s established say 3-5 years the AFL appoints an independent panel to value each academy player.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2006
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man City
The academies are fantastic and if this is your thinking I can only assume that your understanding of them is limited because they’re nothing like the old zones
The academies are specific areas under which clubs have preferential access to players. How is this not in some ways similar to the old zone system?

Yes there are benefits to running the zones by bringing in players who otherwise would not have played AFL.. but why cant the AFL themselves directly run the academies and then have the players be made available to everyone. Would be much fairer than the current system where GWS off of finishing 2nd gets preferential access to a top 5 pick at a greatly discounted price.

Jul 25, 2008
The Linc
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Oakland Raiders
The academies are specific areas under which clubs have preferential access to players. How is this not in some ways similar to the old zone system?

Yes there are benefits to running the zones by bringing in players who otherwise would not have played AFL.. but why cant the AFL themselves directly run the academies and then have the players be made available to everyone. Would be much fairer than the current system where GWS off of finishing 2nd gets preferential access to a top 5 pick at a greatly discounted price.

It’s different in my mind because there’s a price paid to acquire the talent, the intent is to grow the game and the zones were the only way to find young talent back in the day unless the club with the zone let one spill out or you went interstate. The famous one for me of a player spilling out was Darren Milane who was in the Hawks zone and they missed him in the mid 80’s so he went to Collingwood. Basically if you received a s**t zone you were effed unless the clubs with good zones were missing them ala St Kilda. There’s no way that will be replicated with the academies. I’d grant the overall format is similar, but the implementation is completely different.

I suspect the AFL won’t do it themselves because of costs. For instance if every club is doing it properly they’d each have at least 30 prospects aligned to them ranging in ages from 14-18. That’s over 500 kids across the country for the AFL to be investing in without any benefit to them. They’re better off investing that same money in grass roots footy. It’d certainly be preferable though, but it isn’t practical.

But you're not. You're sliding down 2 spots. Plus getting an extra later pick.

It's also a deal that allows GWS to get a top 3 pick in addition to a top 3 pick talent wise in Green. I'd hope that the list managers keep that in mind when they look at the Draft.

GWS with Ward, Coniglio, Kelly, Taranto, Whitfield, Hopper going through the middle likely to get a Clayton Oliver clone in Green and potentially a kid like Kemp who could develop to play in any position he wants. All that for a deal where Melbourne downgrade and get a player they have 10 of already? Nope.

Jul 13, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Charlotte Hornets, Chelsea, Striker
It's also a deal that allows GWS to get a top 3 pick in addition to a top 3 pick talent wise in Green. I'd hope that the list managers keep that in mind when they look at the Draft.

GWS with Ward, Coniglio, Kelly, Taranto, Whitfield, Hopper going through the middle likely to get a Clayton Oliver clone in Green and potentially a kid like Kemp who could develop to play in any position he wants. All that for a deal where Melbourne downgrade and get a player they have 10 of already? Nope.

I think other clubs will be more worried about what they are doing and how they can benefit themselves.

I personally wouldnt do that particular deal but you're not "giving up pick 3" as such.

I think other clubs will be more worried about what they are doing and how they can benefit themselves.

I personally wouldnt do that particular deal but you're not "giving up pick 3" as such.

When there's not much difference in terms of what you're giving up, you need to look at everything. The difference between pick 6 and pick 3 is one of the reigning Grand Finalists getting 2 elite talents instead of 1.

Clubs would be loathe to do that sort of deal.

Adelaide wouldn't for Pick 4, predominantly because I reckon you guys would jump at Green if he was there to be taken.

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS

“For where we picked him up, I’d think that mid-second-round pick, inside pick 30, if there was some interest there, but we haven’t had anyone really come to us yet and we’re not actively out there driving it so we’ll just see what unfolds there,” he said.

Feb 24, 2013
The GoldenBrown Heart of Victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man Utd Green Bay Melb Storm

“For where we picked him up, I’d think that mid-second-round pick, inside pick 30, if there was some interest there, but we haven’t had anyone really come to us yet and we’re not actively out there driving it so we’ll just see what unfolds there,” he said.

His initial draft position doesn't make a jot of influence on what you'll get for him...It's what he's done since then, which isn't much at all.

Late 3rd round, early 4th is the best you can hope for....If some mug offers pick 50, then take it & run.

Jul 13, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Charlotte Hornets, Chelsea, Striker
Didnt work for them very well with Josh Kelly.

Do you want me to go through all the times that it did work? Or that the player 2 picks later was better? Plus the possibility of the late pick becoming a Rory Sloane, Brent Harvey, Simon Black
Nathan Freeman was 3 picks before Patrick Cripps just btw

May 20, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
29,327 posts
Watched him in the Snow game, and he looked lost. Would not pay much at all here. Scrimshaw type deal at best.
I agree, doesn’t look a likely type. Hawks already have a similar type player coming through in CJ. Would be a type that Essendon would might go for.

Bring back Bas

Club Legend
Apr 10, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Mutineer , you were a big fan of Bonar in his draft year. I'm not sure if you have seen much of him since. What do you think of him as a prospect now?

DapperJong

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts SFA Good Friday Appeal Spooderman Meme Medal Pantskyle BeanCoiNFT Investor
Feb 11, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Juventus
My pitch for Essendon

Pick 31 and 33 for Bonar and pick 40

Values Bonar as a mid 20s pick and those two picks should help with a Green bid

Glad you aren't Dodo. 31 alone should be enough.

Back