Confirmed Aiden Bonar [traded with future 4th to North Melbourne for future 3rd]

markr

Premiership Player
Aug 23, 2007
Brisbane
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Has any midfielder ever done three ACLs and come back and been any good? The guys I can think of either struggle to ever get back on the park, or come back and have lost all their agility.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

TerryWallet

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 27, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
My opinion i posted about Bonar on the Carlton Board a while ago.

My 2c on Bonar.

I think Bonar was a calculated risk at Pick 11 and mainly on promise of what he COULD be. There was a chance he could be special or there was a chance he could be what he was, a low accumulater who finds it hard to impact. Similar to a Kyle Langford or Jayden Laverde type output).

2 years on, and i think the chance that he could be special has fizzled. His performances in the NEAFL have been fairly underwhelming. So what is left is an impressive athlete whose footy production is not crash hot on a footy field.

I think he is last on the GWS depth chart. Caldwell, Hately and Hill have already gone past him.

I wouldn't be too desperate to get in the hunt for him. Although i'm not against using any pick in this draft above 30 on a depth player.

Mutineer

Premium Platinum
Aug 9, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Mutineer , you were a big fan of Bonar in his draft year. I'm not sure if you have seen much of him since. What do you think of him as a prospect now?
I have actually watched a fair bit of NEAFL this year and have to say he's generally been underwhelming on what I saw of him late in the TAC season for the Stingrays in his draft year.....I was expecting a fair bit more than he's shown, especially athletically. I honestly thought if he was to head home the Saints would have been his preferred club or the Roos perhaps as it was well known he was very close with Hunter Clark and Luke Davies-Unakie.

That said depending on the price if he was OK with shifting to Adelaide I'd certainly be interested. ;)

THE_GUN

Keep trying ...... SON
Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
$400k x 2 years remaining on his contract is whats pushing clubs away

A team with alot of cap space and a pick in the mid 40's-50's it might be a nice risk but doubt a top line team thats competing for top 8 would be highly unlikely

GUMBLETRON

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 1, 2008
NASA
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Coburg
Has any midfielder ever done three ACLs and come back and been any good? The guys I can think of either struggle to ever get back on the park, or come back and have lost all their agility.
He's only done one, with two surgeries needed because the first graft didn't take.

From watching his rare senior games he seems to lack intensity and urgency and just doesn't work hard enough. Jogs casually around the field without applying pressure or attacking the contest unless the ball is in his lap. Langford is a good comparison as far as limitations go.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

TylerDurden

Premium Platinum
Mar 5, 2007
Lou's Tavern
AFL Club
Hawthorn
He's only done one, with two surgeries needed because the first graft didn't take.

From watching his rare senior games he seems to lack intensity and urgency and just doesn't work hard enough. Jogs casually around the field without applying pressure or attacking the contest unless the ball is in his lap. Langford is a good comparison as far as limitations go.
This is what i noticed when we smacked them in the snow game. Has me a bit worried if we do indeed pick him up.

Kanga Commando

All Australian
Apr 10, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn
My opinion i posted about Bonar on the Carlton Board a while ago.

My 2c on Bonar.

I think Bonar was a calculated risk at Pick 11 and mainly on promise of what he COULD be. There was a chance he could be special or there was a chance he could be what he was, a low accumulater who finds it hard to impact. Similar to a Kyle Langford or Jayden Laverde type output).

2 years on, and i think the chance that he could be special has fizzled. His performances in the NEAFL have been fairly underwhelming. So what is left is an impressive athlete whose footy production is not crash hot on a footy field.

I think he is last on the GWS depth chart. Caldwell, Hately and Hill have already gone past him.

I wouldn't be too desperate to get in the hunt for him. Although i'm not against using any pick in this draft above 30 on a depth player.
Sounds like a fair assessment.

Giant Pete

Premiership Player
Jan 17, 2013
AFL Club
GWS
He needs to build his tank. He also is a big ball hunter. He’s got two more years with us. I’d like to see us keep him for one more year to see if he improves those two areas.

Purrfect pussy

Fight MND
Apr 3, 2019
AFL Club
Geelong
He needs to build his tank. He also is a big ball hunter. He’s got two more years with us. I’d like to see us keep him for one more year to see if he improves those two areas.
Does he want to stay though?

Hard to see him getting a game next year. Ward and Cogs to come back, hately is also way ahead of him.

Top Bottom