Current Aiia - International student murdered near Bundoora shopping centre Codey Hermann charged

Remove this Banner Ad

Working at Barwon there were any number of crooks that I'd have no hesitation in pulling lever, pressing the switch or pulling the trigger on, Dupas, Sharpe, Camilleri, Beckett, Debs, Knight, Johnson and Benbrika just to name a few.

I can't kill a spider or a mouse but have taken the head off an angry snake feeling it was the only choice at the time. One of the dogs or the horse at risk, the snake lost. So there ya go, that's my measure.

But I don't believe in the DP, we'd have also executed Lindy Chamberlain.

I can't kill a spider or a mouse but have taken the head off an angry snake feeling it was the only choice at the time. One of the dogs or the horse, the snake lost. So there ya go, that's my measure.

Yeah good point. FWIW cannot believe how she was (mis) treated back then. And that even carried onto Joanne Lees did it not?? Being critical of how or how she was not reacting to the whole trial. Like anyone would ******* know what either of those two went through and how they should be acting.

Whilst posting such thoughts doesn't achieve anything, it's a normal red-blooded man's reaction to an outrage.
I used to favour the death penalty, but it would be more productive to send those scumbags to SE Asia or the ME to clear minefields with a knife and fork. Obviously making sure they can't escape (chain a cannonball to their ankle). I'm full of good ideas :)

I used to favour the death penalty, but it would be more productive to send those scumbags to SE Asia or the ME to clear minefields with a knife and fork. Obviously making sure they can't escape (chain a cannonball to their ankle). I'm full of good ideas :)

Think the post I replied to was alluding to so-called "toxic masculinity" rather than the death penalty.

Good example. The NT coppers all thought she did it, hence the focus was on evidence that counted against her.

Partly why there's a substantial "cooling off" period between crime and execution.

If your posting things like "I wish I could have 5 minutes alone with him" then you're overall part of the problem.
He's going to be dealt with by the law and if there's any place he may be subject to extra treatment it's in prison, not at the local suburban Westfield car park by someone who thinks rubbing an animals nose in their own piss is an actual preventative measure.

Yeah good point. FWIW cannot believe how she was (mis) treated back then. And that even carried onto Joanne Lees did it not?? Being critical of how or how she was not reacting to the whole trial. Like anyone would ******* know what either of those two went through and how they should be acting.

Similar thing with Madeleine McCann.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Think the post I replied to was alluding to so-called "toxic masculinity" rather than the death penalty.
Yes, I meant anyone wishing to "have 5 minutes alone with him" would presumably use that time to inflict serious or fatal injuries - a death penalty of sorts. Which I agree is an understandably tempting response to his dastardly act and not an example of "toxic masculinity".

Yeah but don't they press number plates etc?

(Facetious but they can do useful work right?)

In Barwon they made a few things.

Slats for slat beds, they'd join the material onto the timber.

Screw nuts onto bolts of brackets that hold up cable carrying trays.

Cattle crushes, feeders and portable yards.

Margoneet make/made hot tubs, they have a fully functioning production line. They had stopped making them when I was last there due to lack of sales caused by water restrictions from the drought. They also did powder coating, after which the powder coated items would come over to Barwon, ie the cable trays.

Just spent the last 45 minutes reading this whole thread, not sure why.... As a woman, these crimes disgust, horror and terrify me, and yet I can't stop reading about them? :/ I can't remember what prompted it, but last year sometime I read exactly what happened to Anita Cobby and I cried for hours. I wish I didn't know, wish I could erase it from my mind. And reading Derryn's tweet was just as bad. Aiia... I'm so sorry this happened to you.

I can't remember the site I got this from now, but it was one about domestic/sexual assault and statistics and myths. They reckon 80% of sexual assaults go unreported. 80%...
Most sexual violence is committed by somebody the victim knows, only about 3% is committed by a complete stranger.

I read Tom Meagher's 'Monster Myth' article and it really opened my eyes up. Esp. the parts about people saying 'he should be raped in jail':
In essence this ‘rape as retribution’ argument invokes the need for far too many rapists. For people like Bayley, rape is punishment, it’s how he exerts his dominance, and exhibits his deep misogyny through sexual humiliation. If we, as a society then ask for Bayley to be raped as punishment, are we not cementing the validity of this mind-set?

I also liked when he said this:
I dreamed for over a year of how I would like to physically hurt this man, and still often relish the inevitable manner of his death, but wouldn’t it be more beneficial for Jill’s memory, and other women affected by violence to focus on the problems that surround our attitudes, our legal system, our silence rather than focusing on what manner we would like to torture and murder this individual? Adrian Bayley murdered a daughter, a sister, a great friend to so many, and my favourite person. I am the first one who wants to see him vilified and long may he be one of Australia’s most hated people, but it only does any good if this example highlights rather than obscures the social issues that surround men’s violence against women.

When I read 'my favourite person', I burst out crying, as it's something my boyfriend and I say about each other.

Just spent the last 45 minutes reading this whole thread, not sure why.... As a woman, these crimes disgust, horror and terrify me, and yet I can't stop reading about them? :/ I can't remember what prompted it, but last year sometime I read exactly what happened to Anita Cobby and I cried for hours. I wish I didn't know, wish I could erase it from my mind. And reading Derryn's tweet was just as bad. Aiia... I'm so sorry this happened to you.

I can't remember the site I got this from now, but it was one about domestic/sexual assault and statistics and myths. They reckon 80% of sexual assaults go unreported. 80%...
Most sexual violence is committed by somebody the victim knows, only about 3% is committed by a complete stranger.

I read Tom Meagher's 'Monster Myth' article and it really opened my eyes up. Esp. the parts about people saying 'he should be raped in jail':

I also liked when he said this:

When I read 'my favourite person', I burst out crying, as it's something my boyfriend and I say about each other.
I gotta say I don't think the monster is a myth.

Some guys are wired wrong. A different class.

Don't some serial killers start by torturing animals at an early age. They are on a different trajectory to the rest of us.

I gotta say I don't think the monster is a myth.

Some guys are wired wrong. A different class.

Don't some serial killers start by torturing animals at an early age. They are on a different trajectory to the rest of us.
Have you read the full article? He says that the media focussing on these one-off cases takes away from the fact that so many more are taken in domestic violence cases.

Not all of these men who rape and murder would have tortured an animal. I think those are for the extreme cases. What I think it's partly about is respect for women and the severe lack of it.

Have you read the full article? He says that the media focussing on these one-off cases takes away from the fact that so many more are taken in domestic violence cases.

Not all of these men who rape and murder would have tortured an animal. I think those are for the extreme cases. What I think it's partly about is respect for women and the severe lack of it.

I’d be willing to bet the majority of domestic violence happens when there is any one or more of the following:

Well below average household income
Drug/alcohol problems
Mental illness

Now I know mental illness can be a tricky one as many will use it as a defense for their actions.

It’s hard to get through to these people as most think the world is against them anyway, and to then the world is a cruel unforgiving place. They would probably think you or I talking to them educating them about domestic violence is as condescending as we would consider multi millionaires talking to us about how to find true happiness.

I don't know the statistics. I sometimes think it's too easy to say "it was mental illness". I know plenty of people with mental health issues and none of them have killed someone else as far as I know. There has to be a deeper-rooted issue here. Where did those issues come from in the first place?

I think there's also a misnomer that abuse only happens in low socioeconomic households. Rosie Batty comes to mind.

Someone I know of experienced abuse from her previous partner, except it wasn't physical, just emotional/psychological - controlling behaviours and threatening of violence. She certainly didn't fit into any of those categories and as far as I know, neither did he.

I don't know the statistics. I sometimes think it's too easy to say "it was mental illness". I know plenty of people with mental health issues and none of them have killed someone else as far as I know. There has to be a deeper-rooted issue here. Where did those issues come from in the first place?

I think there's also a misnomer that abuse only happens in low socioeconomic households. Rosie Batty comes to mind.

I don't think anyone that I've read in this thread has suggested that it only happens in low socio-economic areas, rather that most of it is there. They're the areas where the messages would be going unheard, unnoticed, unwanted, unheeded and ignored.

I don't think anyone that I've read in this thread has suggested that it only happens in low socio-economic areas, rather that most of it is there. They're the areas where the messages would be going unheard, unnoticed, unwanted, unheeded and ignored.
Indeed, that is also very true. They are less likely to have resources.

Here is a good article that cuts through the shrill that followed this event and others like it.

We don’t have to politicise every act of violence against a woman. It may relieve the anger and sadness to cry “this must stop”, or to blame the patriarchy, or to, as writer Clementine Ford did after the horrific murder of Aiia Maasarwe last week, demand men “pick a side” because “you are all implicated”.
But it doesn’t help.

https://www.theguardian.com/comment...t-to-say-the-and-of-women-is-caused-by-sexism

Evil killer Sean Christian Price wants his time behind bars over the brutal murder of schoolgirl Masa Vukotic reduced.

The Herald Sun can reveal a remorseless Price, 34, will apply to the Court of Appeal tomorrow for an extension of time to appeal his minimum jail term.

The move has devastated 17-year-old Masa’s family.

Sounds reasonable...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back