Current Aiia - International student murdered near Bundoora shopping centre Codey Hermann charged

Remove this Banner Ad

It’s our society here in oz as a whole it’s ****ed and getting worse , just watch the news over last few days .

Bloke stabbed in neck does in pub brawl , assaults of road rage , 12 kids rampage through coles etc etc , it just goes on and on

It’s our society here in oz as a whole it’s ****** and getting worse , just watch the news over last few days .

Bloke stabbed in neck does in pub brawl , assaults of road rage , 12 kids rampage through coles etc etc , it just goes on and on
Oh it's the same all over the world, let's get real.

Here is a good article that cuts through the shrill that followed this event and others like it.

We don’t have to politicise every act of violence against a woman. It may relieve the anger and sadness to cry “this must stop”, or to blame the patriarchy, or to, as writer Clementine Ford did after the horrific murder of Aiia Maasarwe last week, demand men “pick a side” because “you are all implicated”.
But it doesn’t help.

https://www.theguardian.com/comment...t-to-say-the-and-of-women-is-caused-by-sexism
cheers, brilliant article! My thoughts entirely and Bayley/Miller the same examples I used.
Even used the word 'Palestinian' which The Age, John Sylvester aside, seems to be keen on wiping from our consciousness (Channel 9 influence?).

cheers, brilliant article! My thoughts entirely and Bayley/Miller the same examples I used.

Surprised to be reading that opinion in The Guardian of all places. The logical extension of the article is a validation of the traditional family, but there are certain elements whose cases are frequently pushed by that same newspaper conspiring against it.

Funny, I'd heard that it was actually the opposite....alot of male prisoners are quite misogynist and the whole "that bitch had it coming" thing is not uncommon.

Doing anything to kids/underage girls is different, but 'normal' rapists and stuff weren't particularly hated or targeted.

I heard the only reason why prisoners hate/hated Adrian Bayley, not because of what he did to poor Jill, but because he was the catalyst for changing bail/parole laws, therefore making "life" more difficult for them. Got nothing to do with his crimes at all.

Just spent the last 45 minutes reading this whole thread, not sure why.... As a woman, these crimes disgust, horror and terrify me, and yet I can't stop reading about them? :/ I can't remember what prompted it, but last year sometime I read exactly what happened to Anita Cobby and I cried for hours. I wish I didn't know, wish I could erase it from my mind. And reading Derryn's tweet was just as bad. Aiia... I'm so sorry this happened to you.

Yeah im the same- it stays in my head and just makes me so upset. I read everything about Jill Meagher's case, as well as stuff online, particularly specifics of Bayley's 16 rapes on 8 women. It is beyond horrific- your absolute worst nightmare.

I need to stop really, because it stays with you.

Having said that "Someone Else's Daughter" is a good book on the Anita Cobby case.

Last edited:
I read Tom Meagher's 'Monster Myth' article and it really opened my eyes up. Esp. the parts about people saying 'he should be raped in jail':

Yeah thats a funny one the whole "i hope he gets raped in jail". From my POV this is the best way i can describe it- i never, ever wish rape upon anyone- rapist or otherwise. Its a sickening act, one of the worst. But you know what? If it were to occur to him in jail, its not like im going to shed a tear for him, unlike i did for Jill. I would neither feel sympathy/pity, or joy/happiness. I'd just feel nothing.

Yeah im the same- it stays in my head and just makes me so upset. I read everything about Jill Meagher's case, as well as stuff online, particularly specifics of Bayley's 16 rapes on 8 women. It is beyond horrific- your absolute worst nightmare.

I need to stop really, because it stays with you.

Having said that "Someone Else's Daughter" is a good book on the Anita Cobby case.
I don't think I could stomach it :/ It would be emotionally hard for me.

Not really. Singapore is a prime example.

Not in SG it’s not the same as here on a completely different level .
Ok take out a few of the 200 odd countries and it's the same and often worse. BTW, I don't even know what SG is... Singapore (as well)? Is that a better place to live than here? Better buy some plane tickets.

Ok take out a few of the 200 odd countries and it's the same and often worse. BTW, I don't even know what SG is... Singapore (as well)? Is that a better place to live than here? Better buy some plane tickets.

Not in a position to go live there again at moment but if I can get another contractor over there in the future would happily go back over not a problem .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm being pedantic really :p Because I know what you're saying. These things happen in many places around the world and usually WORSE than what happens here.

Singapore culture is different. They have a higher suicide rate, and that's partly because they work to live, basically... high education standards all of that. Their working hours are crazy. They don't have pensions so you have 70+ year olds cleaning up in food courts (no joke, we saw that everywhere and asked our taxi drivers about it). You get fined for littering, I couldn't even bring Extra (gum) because it's banned. Crime is very low - I wonder if -shame- to the family contributes to that, I don't know. I don't even know what the police do there lol

I'm being pedantic really :p Because I know what you're saying. These things happen in many places around the world and usually WORSE than what happens here.

Singapore culture is different. They have a higher suicide rate, and that's partly because they work to live, basically... high education standards all of that. Their working hours are crazy. They don't have pensions so you have 70+ year olds cleaning up in food courts (no joke, we saw that everywhere and asked our taxi drivers about it). You get fined for littering, I couldn't even bring Extra (gum) because it's banned. Crime is very low - I wonder if -shame- to the family contributes to that, I don't know. I don't even know what the police do there lol

Where did you read they had higher suicide rate ?

Someone's gotta enforce all that law!

Surprised to be reading that opinion in The Guardian of all places. The logical extension of the article is a validation of the traditional family, but there are certain elements whose cases are frequently pushed by that same newspaper conspiring against it.

This is the 2nd time I've seen you tie society's ills to the loss of the "traditional family". Could you elaborate? Do you think single parents should have their kids taken away? Or kids not be raised in families where a parent dies when they're young? I feel like I know what you're implying but that implication would negate the hundreds of thousands of kids who grow up outside of the "traditional family" and don't turn into maniacs - myself and countless friends included.

This is the 2nd time I've seen you tie society's ills to the loss of the "traditional family". Could you elaborate? Do you think single parents should have their kids taken away? Or kids not be raised in families where a parent dies when they're young? I feel like I know what you're implying but that implication would negate the hundreds of thousands of kids who grow up outside of the "traditional family" and don't turn into maniacs - myself and countless friends included.

Certainly not suggesting that single paents should have their kids taken away and as you say, the vast majority of kids raised in that situation don't turn into monsters. However it is a known fact that kids from broken homes are at increased risk of mental illness and violent offending.

Just suggesting there's a price to be paid for the championing of individual rights over stable family structures. More specifically, militant feminism is opposed to the nuclear family and any number of spokeswomen have spelt that out. I'd link to some articles but I've already had one such post removed and don't want to be seen to be antagonising the mods.

The question that should be asked, and has only been touched upon, is "Where do bad men come from?".

Please don't take it personally.

Where did you read they had higher suicide rate ?
I'm actually incorrect. I think I just made that assumption, because the culture isn't too dissimilar to Japan's in terms of work ethic. Australia's is higher. My apologies.

From wiki:
Suicide in Singapore
is considered a serious issue in the country. The issues have been rising in recent years, with the rate of suicide increasing for all demographics. It is the leading cause of death for those aged between 10 and 29 years old. Males account for the most suicides at over 66.6% of all suicides.

Like most issues of mental illness and death, suicide is generally viewed as a taboo subject in Singapore. This may hinder efforts to reduce suicide rates. Some argue that changing public opinion on clinical depression and similar mental disorders may be a huge step in improving the rate of suicides.

Yeah thats a funny one the whole "i hope he gets raped in jail". From my POV this is the best way i can describe it- i never, ever wish rape upon anyone- rapist or otherwise. Its a sickening act, one of the worst. But you know what? If it were to occur to him in jail, its not like im going to shed a tear for him, unlike i did for Jill. I would neither feel sympathy/pity, or joy/happiness. I'd just feel nothing.

So you condone rape.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back