Current Aiia - International student murdered near Bundoora shopping centre Codey Hermann charged

Remove this Banner Ad

Hermann was just handed 36 years jail, non parole period of 30 years.

Not so concerned about the punishment factor but in this case he will be out in his early 50s if he serves the minimum, still young enough to pose a serious threat.

I suspect he'll have a hard time adjusting after having spent the majority of his life behind bars. And then you look at his life up until now and it's a wonder that this was the first person he killed.

I suspect he'll have a hard time adjusting after having spent the majority of his life behind bars. And then you look at his life up until now and it's a wonder that this was the first person he killed.
It’s pretty much the same story with a lot of these guys. Herrman, Todd, Hammond, Price and Bayley ticked all or most of the following boxes:
  1. Grew up destitute.
  2. Were living rough or in squalid public housing.
  3. Had mental health issues.
  4. Had substance abuse issues.
  5. Spent time in foster care.
  6. Were victims of violent or sexual abuse.
  7. Had significant or growing criminal records.
Same applies to others who have committed horror offences like Gargasoulas.

Hard to know what to do about it - in most cases their troubles start when they’re so young - but ‘men calling men out’ is like firing a BB gun at a tank.

I hope with a strong recommendation to never be released like the others scum. He raped, murdered and set her on fire ffs
Absolutely no excuse for what he did and he gets food and shelter for the rest of his life, unlike many homeless :'(

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ross and John made a good point this morning- basically doing all the maths. About 30% of Cody's life is taken away re. his jail sentence (assuming he lives til about 75/80), for a crime that takes away 100% of someone else's (future) life.

It really is unfair.

Not to mention the judge saying it was "one of the most appalling murders" yet it did not deserve a longer sentence that could have been given.

Reminds me of that Geelong rape in 2005? The victim almost bled to death, police said it was one of the worst rapes they had ever dealt with. Yet not the full penalty for rape. This state is a joke.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back