Current Aiia - International student murdered near Bundoora shopping centre Codey Hermann charged

Remove this Banner Ad

Obviously this is messed up and the guy will get what’s coming to him, but this whole blaming men or society as a whole needs a bit of examining.

The main driving factors seem to be drugs/alcohol, mental illness, poverty and bad upbringings.

Now there are lots of overlap with the above, as obviously drug/alcohol abuse and shitty life circumstances will make mental problems much worse in an individual.

Also it does seem in these circles sexist attitudes and domestic violence are a lot more prevalent and normalized.

Someone mentioned it before, and I am not sure the best way for it to work in practice but seems 99% of the men who do these types of attacks lack good male role models, be it by an absent father or violent one (or combination of the 2).

These men seem to have a warped view on what it is to be a man, and have very primitive ways of expressing their feelings and emotions, which will lead to crime and violence.

Talking on a phone does not make you more vulnerable unless youre having some dnm, imo. I can still be aware just fine.

Texting on your phone yes, having an ipod in cutting out your awareness ie. Sounds definitely yes.

People using phones say they are aware but experience of walking around the CBD or from jogging would suggest people on phones have little to no awareness of what is around them. Their behavior changes so anyone behind them knows that they are on a phone, not just because they are talking but because they tend to walk more slowly and their walking pattern changes. Ask any regular jogger if they can tell if a pedrestian ahead is on a phone.

People using phones say they are aware but experience of walking around the CBD or from jogging would suggest people on phones have little to no awareness of what is around them. Their behavior changes so anyone behind them knows that they are on a phone, not just because they are talking but because they tend to walk more slowly and their walking pattern changes. Ask any regular jogger if they can tell if a pedrestian ahead is on a phone.

Well I would be aware :)
I'm always looking, aware of my surroundings- checking behind me even- particularly if I'm alone.

I've cut out my use of an ipod tho. Dont do that anymore.

I suppose the rationale is that the person the other end can alert authorities if the phone call ends suddenly. But of they don't where the person is, or they assume the phone's gone flat then it's pretty useless.

Yeah i dont understand that at all- like by the time they call the cops and get someone to you, its all over really.

FWIW- when i had a bf, he would always want a text when i got home late, to say i was home safe. Not much else you can do tho really.

Holy s**t, I can't believe that bitch got off.
There are definitely parallels with the guy in this instance. Both are junkie scum with mental health issues. They are outliers on the extreme ends of humanity. You quite simply cannot apply what they did as being the responsibility of a wider culture of all men to stop killing women or for all women to stop killing children. It is simply pathetic point scoring that some people try to do.

I do not think she should have got off btw. If we are to accept mental health as the reason that is a slippery slope to pre-emptive locking away if people with similar issues to protect the community.

That junkie scum that did the Moama drownings also has the privilege of their identity being hidden. They can be "rehabilitated" and on the street in a few years without the wider societal judgement following them.

There are definitely parallels with the guy in this instance. Both are junkie scum with mental health issues. They are outliers on the extreme ends of humanity. You quite simply cannot apply what they did as being the responsibility of a wider culture of all men to stop killing women or for all women to stop killing children. It is simply pathetic point scoring that some people try to do.

I do not think she should have got off btw. If we are to accept mental health as the reason that is a slippery slope to pre-emptive locking away if people with similar issues to protect the community.

That junkie scum that did the Moama drownings also has the privilege of their identity being hidden. They can be "rehabilitated" and on the street in a few years without the wider societal judgement following them.
It's crazy, she'd only recently gotten out of jail, and one the first things she did was try to drown both her kids. The only reason the second one didn't drown is because a dog attacked him (which has left him disfigured).

Talking on a phone does not make you more vulnerable unless youre having some dnm, imo. I can still be aware just fine.

Texting on your phone yes, having an ipod in cutting out your awareness ie. Sounds definitely yes.
I'd guess a lot or people pretend to be on the phone to avoid possible dangerous situations
I would think it is usually effective though not in this case

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This may be OTT but i kinda wish Mace was legal. Altho i know you can't just have a can of mace and youd have to know how to use it.

Better than carrying around a knife orgod forbid, a handgun

You have to be careful with mace that the conditions are right, one puff of wind and it can blow back in your face. Horrible stuff, I know .... cos I accidentally did it. :$

There's a new device hitting the Australian market soon, already in Cairns apparently called The Safety Bracelet it looks like a fitbit. Press a button and it sends out an alert to anybody who is registered within 500 metres, sends an emergency alert to nominated people or your guardian network and starts to record.

I'll have a look at getting one for my girls.

You have to be careful with mace that the conditions are right, one puff of wind and it can blow back in your face. Horrible stuff, I know .... cos I accidentally did it. :$

Yeah exactly, or if they somehow grabbed it off you, then you'd be in even more trouble than what you began with I suppose.

Idk, i dont know what the answer is tbh. I've done some taekwondo + self defence- havent practised it tho and it was years ago. I'd like to think I'd remember some stuff, but who knows when you are actually under attack/duress.

Yeah exactly, or if they somehow grabbed it off you, then you'd be in even more trouble than what you began with I suppose.

Idk, i dont know what the answer is tbh. I've done some taekwondo + self defence- havent practised it tho and it was years ago. I'd like to think I'd remember some stuff, but who knows when you are actually under attack/duress.

If you're going to fight back imo you need a clear escape after you've hurt them enough to get them off you and run. Always run because most women aren't stong enough or hard enough to absolutely put any man down with one good blow or kick. Keep a level head and try not to panic ... that's what I tell my girls anyway. If you hit, don't hold anything back. And elbows can be deadly.

If you're going to fight back imo you need a clear escape after you've hurt them enough to get them off you and run. Always run because most women aren't stong enough or hard enough to absolutely put any man down with one good blow or kick. Keep a level head and try not to panic ... that's what I tell my girls anyway. If you hit, don't hold anything back. And elbows can be deadly.

Yeah "hard weapon, soft target" i was taught in taekwondo so- head, elbow, hands, feet, knees and eyes, mouth, throat, stomach, groin.

He's in court again Monday.

Via Ch 7.

A man has faced court today charged over the murder of international student Aiia Maasarwe. 20-year-old Codey Herrmann has been charged with one count of murder and one count of rape. He’s been remanded in custody and is expected to reappear for a filing hearing on Monday.

This may be OTT but i kinda wish Mace was legal. Altho i know you can't just have a can of mace and youd have to know how to use it.

Better than carrying around a knife orgod forbid, a handgun

What would stop an attacker from using mace to disable a victim? That’s the problem if something can be used defensively, then it can be used offensively too. Not mention that attackers don’t announce their intentions, they attack by surprise.

speak for yourself. Are you even male? Pretty sure you or someone else has the said the same s**t before. Yes more male's commit violent crimes and murder, but women also do this.
Yeah I'm a bloke and very happy to say that random stalk/rape/murders are a bloke thing.

It's a tiny % of us that actuates this sickness of the mind..

females getting the feather duster for crimes they commit infuriates me too, but that's another issue.

Some of the comments from people on his Facebook page are pretty disturbing , racism , people wanting to kill his family etc etc .

Yep - I mentioned earlier in the thread that I think people posting that sort of stuff on his Facebook page out themselves as scum. The moment they get a whiff of righteousness or justification they'll happily say all kinds of filth and fantasise over things they proclaim to hate ("This rapist is awful - let me go into graphic detail into how I HOPE he is raped in prison!")

These are the kinds of people who could be talked into kicking an innocent person to death as a mob.

Yep - I mentioned earlier in the thread that I think people posting that sort of stuff on his Facebook page out themselves as scum. The moment they get a whiff of righteousness or justification they'll happily say all kinds of filth and fantasise over things they proclaim to hate ("This rapist is awful - let me go into graphic detail into how I HOPE he is raped in prison!")

These are the kinds of people who could be talked into kicking an innocent person to death as a mob.

Some pretty disturbed people on it thafa for sure .

Some pretty disturbed people on it thafa for sure .

A few months ago, a disabled girl on the Central Coast NSW iirc was thrown off a bridge. Same thing all over facebook, it was revolting and the most savage posting all over the alleged offender's pages seemed to have no clue how transparent it was.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back