• Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Panthera

Premiership Player
Feb 15, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Really easy...well kinda; if the general consensus is correct and Andy McGrath is taken @ 1 - who do you want in a Lions jumper next year?

Hugh McCLUGGAGE
Ht: 185.6cm | Wt: 75.9kg | Hybrid Midfielder | North Ballarat Rebels

McCluggage has done it all this year – and off basically no pre-season. He has superb vision and hands in traffic and has a habit of making tacklers miss. He sees game extremely efficiently and has proven to be a consistent goalkicker from midfield – 25 goals in 12 TAC Cup matches, seven in four games the under-18 championships and another four in the All-Stars game. At the next level he will probably start as a half forward/wing and once he develops a stronger frame, will go into a more permanent midfield role.

Strengths: composure, goal sense, vision.

Needs to improve: strength.

Ben AINSWORTH
Ht: 178.0cm | Wt: 76.2kg | Small Forward | Gippsland Power

Dynamic and devastating – Ainsworth has all the tools to be a high-level small forward/midfielder. As a forward, he is extremely strong overhead for his size, whether it be on the lead, or one-on-one. At times, his agility can be better and he isn’t always super clean below his knees – that will come with work. In midfield he is still developing his craft and building his endurance base, but he has some tricks and can sniff out the ball. After two reports in the one game early in the year, his ability to control aggression was questioned but there haven’t been any issues since.

Strengths: class, finishing, marking, skill.

Needs to improve: endurance, ground balls.

i really love Ainsworth for his elite x-factor traits, although i feel McCluggage would be too good an option to pass on at pick 3.

what ever way it goes we will be happy on draft night.

McCluggage seems to have more overall consistency which would make him on paper the better player to land....

But Ainsworth wants to come to Brissy.
Just so rare a top 3 talent wants to come to Brisbane..... that combined with his chemistry with Schache..... lock him in.

I would prefer Ainsworth as i think he would be better suited the lions. In tandem with the big boys, we have the makings of a formidable forward line the envy of other clubs within the next couple of years.
Although it is becoming increasingly obvious we will not really have a choice and will take which ever one of the 2 is left.

Ainsworth rate him at 2 in my rankings but I believe GWS will pick him after missing out on McGrath so our choice is easy McLuggage becomes a Lion
Both exceptional talents, so I'm happy to let the panel choose.So easy to view either positively and as great aquasitions . Funny if McGrath slipped through!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If whoever we picked stayed with the Lions as a 1 club players, l would prefer McCluggage. However, l don't know how McCluggage will go moving away from the big lights so l would prefer Ainsworth based off his comments.

Huh? He's from Warrnambool and moved the last year or two of school to Ballarat. Parents own a dairy farm.

Huh? He's from Warrnambool and moved the last year or two of school to Ballarat. Parents own a dairy farm.

So you're saying he's already moved away from the big lights of Warrnambool once?

As others have said, I don't believe it will be a choice.

I honestly can't see both being available at our selection, unless GWS have pick 2 taken away from them.

Love Ainsworth as a player. So exciting and has so much star factor. In addition to that he has stated his desire to play for the Lions so it would almost hurt to see him playing for another club, particularly the Suns! In saying all that McCluggage in my opinion is the best player in this draft. We'd be very lucky to nab him at pick 3. His season at all levels has been fantastic this year and he has arguably produced the best junior season ever seen from a midfielder winning the Morrish medal averaging 29 disposals and 2 goals a game and winning MVP for Vic Country plus he kicked 4 goals and played a decent overall game in the All Stars match. Adding a talent of McCluggage's calibre is a unique opportunity that we'd be silly to pass up.

I doubt we'll have a choice between the two but if we did I think the club would select McCluggage. Schwab has already stated publicly that we'd love to get him I'd say he is number 1 on our draft board.

Back