Unsolved Air Drug Importation In To Australia

Remove this Banner Ad

Drugs flown to Australia on private planes

It's been known for years that small private planes are used for many drug importations in to Australia but nonetheless you have to wonder at the cheek (and greed) of the buggers that do it.
Presumably the aircraft used need to make atleast one refueling stop each way. Wonder if they are paying off people in the transit country to ensure they aren't bothered on their journey?

im guessing its extremely rare considering the tabs authorities have on aircraft coming into the country from international destinations.

the big shipments come on boats and about 90 per cent would get through

Most of the drug shipments would come in by yacht, I'd imagine.
Or a rendezvous with a mother ship.

I wonder how the aircraft manage to fly direct from the USA to Eastern Australia if they are managing to avoid radar coverage (think you have to be under 30m in altitude or so for that).
Or are they refuelling on the east coast and proceeding elsewhere with no immigration or customs formalities?

I wonder how the aircraft manage to fly direct from the USA to Eastern Australia if they are managing to avoid radar coverage (think you have to be under 30m in altitude or so for that).
Or are they refuelling on the east coast and proceeding elsewhere with no immigration or customs formalities?

exactly why i think its rare even if it happens at all

Reminds me of a day years ago, one quiet Saturday afternoon at work. The phone rang and it was a foreign agency asking for some assistance in tracking a shipment of heroin leaving Thailand and heading to the Malacca Strait to rendezvous with at least 10 smaller vessels along the way.

We managed to track it for quite a way, relaying it's progress. We eventually lost contact.

Monday morning in the HUN was a story claiming a great victory by the Thai Navy in intercepting a vessel with and estimated $300M worth of heroin on board.

Yes, it was one of the smaller vessels, the mother ship and all the other vessels got away. I used to wonder how much was on that mother ship and where was it all heading to.

A learjet could fly nonstop from LA/SF to the east coast of Australia just like the airliners do.
The biggest Learjet with the longest range filled to the brim would crash into the ocean less than half way on a Brisbane-LA direct flight after running out of fuel.

I don't know why people think radar is some magical 'track everything' technology but it requires expensive ground based (i.e. not at all over the oceans away from islands) equipment and only a very small portion of Australia is actually covered by radar.

You would only have to fly low close to Australia and close to the US. That's it.

Also as for refuelling etc it is actually an operational requirement to take US currency with you to bribe people in some of the smaller islands just to get in and out and get fuel (all perfectly legitimate) for a lot of the bizjet guys. I.e. Kiribati which is about half way from the East Coast (Aus) to the West Coast (US). So I don't think you would have any regulatory problems with those places.

The vast majority of drugs imported into this country arrive in the holds of commercial container ships disguised as standard mercantile objects of some sort.

This kind of crime is fascinating to me. I'd always like to know more, but if I did then the authorities would also know and therefore it wouldnt exist to begin with.

Different drugs arrive in countries in different ways. While most coke into Britain is brought in by yachts etc landing on remote beaches, significant amounts comes in via human mule on flights from the Caribbean for example. Heroin into Australia largely comes in large shipments on container shipments, but there's also a thriving smaller amount human mule industry that brings it from Vietnam, often people who have run up significant gambling debts.

The CIA are going to be pissed off when they find out someone is stepping on their turf.

cia3.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Personally, I believe the big players at the top are in bed with crooked politicians/cops/officials and the small fish in competition are picked off so that the gullible masses believe that the state is doing something about the matter.
Yerp. The huge amount of money on offer for a few heads of certain high-up, influential positions is basically too much to turn down. And if bloke A doesn't, bloke B will think about it, and bloke C will do it.

These guys..........

A MULTI-AGENCY operation has led to the largest seizure of methamphetamine on record in Australia, with an estimated street value of up to $438 million.

The operation involving federal and NSW police netted 585 kilograms of the illegal drug ice.

The Joint Organised Crime Group was keeping a lid on details on Wednesday, but it did confirm the methamphetamine seizure was the largest on record and had a street value of about $438 million.

Australian Federal Police Commissioner Tony Negus will join NSW Police Commissioner Andrew Scipione and officials from the NSW Crime Commission, the Australian Customs and Border Protection Service and the Australian Crime Commission to show off the haul to media in Sydney on Thursday morning.

- See more at: http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/br...y-e6frf7kf-1226587252729#sthash.9N0dbEfU.dpuf

...are in trouble.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back