The Law Airlines and refunds.

Remove this Banner Ad

No travel insurance covers pandemics as far as I’m aware.
A lot of them cover pandemics to some degree if the policy was purchased before the pandemic was declared. She has a 12 month policy with Qantas (underwritten by NIB) which was purchased prior to 30 January (when they ceased coverage).

I believe it should cover her cancellation costs, but it's presently a matter of ongoing discussion.

I got full refunds (but they said it will take 1 month before i get the money back on my credit card) from Qatar on AMS-SYD route due next month, however i did NOT manage to get refunds on SOF-JFK due in July. Qatar says if i do decide to cancel they will issue a voucher +10% of the value of the amount spent on the ticket. Quite happy with it.

One month later, i am still waiting for the amount to be credited. Apparently they are still processing my payment and it hasn't been sent yet. Considering the amount is more than $4,000 and specially for a platinum member, i think they could have handled this better. Meh.

But they will not downgrade me atleast if i won't meet the points threshold for platinum. They have extended my tier membership for another 12 months.

Having some back and forth with AirNZ where they're refusing to refund the full value (they want to take $600 per ticket x 3 tickets) which given my mum paid for herself, my sister and her husband, I'd really prefer to be able to recoup the $1,800 for her.

They've offered a travel credit but given the fares booked were a sale fare, there's not even a guarantee that would be equivalent to a seat in the future, let alone if they'd want to go within the time or to the destination in question (flights were MEL - LAX return).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back