Toast Aish the Tagger

Remove this Banner Ad

Boomer93

Team Captain
Jun 4, 2022
AFL Club
Fremantle
I think this deserves a separate thread. I honestly can't get over how good Aish was in a bad loss on Friday night. IMO Oliver is Melbourne's best player, and is right up there with the best midfielders going around. Aish not only tagged him and brought him down to 12 odd touches at half time, but most of those disposals were rushed and butchered.

This is what I'm shocked by though. Aish absoloutly racked up the ball himself, and was great with it. He didn't really tag Oliver. He basically went head to head with him and dominated. If we had have won, Aish would almost certainly have been given the 3 votes, especially because if we were closer at 3 quarter time he would have stayed in the guts more.

Before people make comment about how we still lost and maybe it opened the game up for guys like viney and perttracca, I completely disagree. Aish simply won his head to head while too many others lost theirs. Remember Aish was influential in our come back against Melbourne last time we played them when he moved to Oliver at half time.

Aish going in to the guts and playing close attention to a gun midfielder is something we should persist with when the match up is right imo. Maybe the bont this week is too big, but in our other two final home and away games, we should trial it on Tim Kelly who got completely tagged out for 4 touches last week, or on Josh Kelly against gws, before heading in to finals against guys like Walsh or Neale.

I know Aish has been used as a tagged in the past and this is nothing new, my main point is it should be something we do most weeks. Thoughts?

Last edited:
So he is our Ryan Crowley or Matt de Boer of our side?

Crowley was 190cm and 90 kg. Crowley was never massive disposals getter. Did solid jobs every week.

Matt de Boer averaged like 15 disposals in his career. Still wished he was on our list as experienced depth in this 2022 finals.

Aish is a solid 20 disposal a game winger. Not many wingers I can think of are taggers

Will be immeasurably valuable in finals. Very underrated in our team and the comp.

I think his value is especially high because when the opposition shut down others, he shows the ability to step into the hole and I wish some other players would lift their game when this happens.

So he is our Ryan Crowley or Matt de Boer of our side?

Crowley was 190cm and 90 kg. Crowley was never massive disposals getter. Did solid jobs every week.

Matt de Boer averaged like 15 disposals in his career. Still wished he was on our list as experienced depth in this 2022 finals.

Aish is a solid 20 disposal a game winger. Not many wingers I can think of are taggers

He plays wing, half back, rover, tagger. He does it all mate. And all to a very high standard. What he has shown against Oliver is arguably more impressive then the hard tags of Crowley, because Aish was also damaging with the ball himself.

Will be immeasurably valuable in finals. Very underrated in our team and the comp.

I think his value is especially high because when the opposition shut down others, he shows the ability to step into the hole and I wish some other players would lift their game when this happens.
Yeah he seems to always have a real good game when others are down. Too many players are front runners but Aish steps up. Great point!

I think this deserves a separate thread. I honestly can't get over how good Aish was in a bad loss on Friday night. IMO Oliver is Melbourne's best player, and is right up there with the best midfielders going around. Aish not only tagged him and brought him down to 12 odd touches at half time, but most of those disposals were rushed and butchered.

This is what I'm shocked by though. Aish absoloutly racked up the ball himself, and was great with it. He didn't really tag Oliver. He basically went head to head with him and dominated. If we had have won, Aish would almost certainly have been given the 3 votes, especially because if we were closer at 3 quarter time he would have stayed in the guts more.

Before people make comment about how we still lost and maybe it opened the game up for guys like viney and perttracca, I completely disagree. Aish simply won his head to head while too many others lost theirs. Remember Aish was influential in our come back against Melbourne last time we played them when he moved to Oliver at half time.

Aish going in to the guts and playing close attention to a gun midfielder is something we should persist with when the match up is right imo. Maybe the bont this week is too big, but in our other two final home and away games, we should trial it on Tim Kelly who got completely tagged out for 4 touches last week, or on Josh Kelly against gws, before heading in to finals against guys like Walsh or Neale.

I know Aish has been used as a tagged in the past and this is nothing new, my main point is it should be something we do most weeks. Thoughts?
I think it's great when we have alternatives for the hard running winger, who keeps their separation.
Aish has been really good at that this year, so for him to go into the middle we need someone to replace him.

That could be O'Driscoll if he gets fit and back into form, although there's really not much time.
Acres building and getting near his pre-injury form would also be part of this.

Last edited:
He plays wing, half back, rover, tagger. He does it all mate. And all to a very high standard. What he has shown against Oliver is arguably more impressive then the hard tags of Crowley, because Aish was also damaging with the ball himself.
If that's the case. Aish sorts of reminds me of Cameron Ling at Geelong. An experienced tagger that would get 20-25 disposals.

I remember Crowleys prime years of 2010-15. Had battles with boomer Harvey and Steve Johnson

The Mongrel Punt summed it up precisely this week. A win with Aish on Oliver, but a loss with his replacement on the wing only getting 12m per disposal robbing us of run and carry. Maybe if Noddy was fit it would have been a win, win.

The Mongrel Punt summed it up precisely this week. A win with Aish on Oliver, but a loss with his replacement on the wing only getting 12m per disposal robbing us of run and carry. Maybe if Noddy was fit it would have been a win, win.
Plus, he arguably would've been better used tagging Langdon in any case.

I thought Aish was magnificent yesterday. He's rarely beaten easily and locks in the ball, also seems to find the right position for the relieving handball out the back. Got to love an unsung hero!

A footballers footballer. Between him and Brayshaw the ability to fight out a draw in the middle when needed is very encouraging and something Freo hasn't had for a long time with a long list of ball winning first midfielders. Both had around 20 touches but just found a way to be influential.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was he tagging yesterday? His stats early would suggest he was (or maybe he was being tagged) but I couldn't pick it up on the telly.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back