Where do you want Dids to play in 2014?

• GWS

Votes: 36 63.2%
  • Not GWS

Votes: 21 36.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Didak is done.

When he said he planned to retire at the end of 2013 and go to the world cup he sealed his fate at the pies. He is not a hard worker on the track, not a great role model and a GWS type side has plenty of talented kids it can develop of the forward flank/pocket who will ultimately be able to run through the midfield.

I enjoyed him, he brought excitement to the game but he is done.

Smoky your obsession with the man is fine, we all have our favourites. For mine Didak has been a downhill skier or flat track bully if you like, plays well against crap sides and when we are doing well, finds it tough going when the chips are down. The "cameos" you mentioned later in the season were seen (by bucks) for what they were. efforts that meant nothing in the grand scheme of things. He had his mates looking for him at every opportunity so he should of got at least 10 possessions a game.
Remember he was a pick 3. Has he ever lived up to that billing? You will say yes but for mine its a resounding no. Yes he had some sparkling games, youd expect that from a 10 year player. I just dont subscribe to the "Didak is a legend" "Didak is the new Daicos", etc.
Time to retire and if he plays on he will further diminish his legacy.

Was told the view of him at the club was that he had the potential to be as good as Gary Ablett junior on a talent but work ethic and application were just not there.

While i agree he has come to the end with us at least, as silly as it sounds i would have found a spot for him this year and last as a permanent forward pocket pushing up to half forward.

Didak has been a defensive liability for his whole career not just he has slowed down recently, this is nothing new, but i thought his hurt factor was in him buzzing around the 50 rather than in the middle.

Didak with 10 posessions close to goal was more damaging than his 20 in the midfield.

Its all hindsight now but the one thing i really hate, is when people's major argument is defensive pressure, or lack of.

On that basis 90% of the team should be shipped out because we have become one of the most heavily scored against front running teams in the game and there are worse culprits out the than Alan.

I hope he does get picked up and if he does he will really surprise a few people on here.

I used to love watching Dids and he was probably my favourite player for quite a while. If he has to play anywhere else I think GWS is probably one of the few teams that I could accept.

However I am not sure he will be picked up as he is on the older side and his body doesn't let him cut loose anymore.

All the best to him, just please don't go to Carlton Dids!

Was told the view of him at the club was that he had the potential to be as good as Gary Ablett junior on a talent but work ethic and application were just not there.
That's utter rubbish. Dids has natural freakish talent, but never had the same balance, poise and vision as Gary. No amount of hard work gets you to Gary Ablett level.

Huh? Didak was a star before Gary Ablett Jnr was. Gary was 19 years old when Dids was kicking Brisbane's arse in the 2003 qualifying final and performing well in the losing grand final the same year. That's when Didak was at his best and he was never going to be an A-Grade midfielder, those stocky legs put pay to that early on.

Sorry but you can't compare him to GAJ, who burst out after Didak's best years.

I think he needs to retire and enjoy the World Cup.
Unlike some I rate his courage in 2010 to push through with that pec injury and still get us over the line.

Hindsight will say that injury was his end, but thankfully we got the great flag and that shimmy.

Thanks for the memories Dids. No Daics but an absolute Magpie gun.

Smoky your obsession with the man is fine, we all have our favourites. For mine Didak has been a downhill skier or flat track bully if you like, plays well against crap sides and when we are doing well, finds it tough going when the chips are down. The "cameos" you mentioned later in the season were seen (by bucks) for what they were. efforts that meant nothing in the grand scheme of things. He had his mates looking for him at every opportunity so he should of got at least 10 possessions a game.
Remember he was a pick 3. Has he ever lived up to that billing? You will say yes but for mine its a resounding no. Yes he had some sparkling games, youd expect that from a 10 year player. I just dont subscribe to the "Didak is a legend" "Didak is the new Daicos", etc.
This post literally made me feel sick. Completely disrespectful to a champion of our club.

This post literally made me feel sick. Completely disrespectful to a champion of our club.

Thanks FASOLO#1.

I really appreciate your support... and am humbled by your opinion of me.

But I think you've gone a little too far labeling me "a champion of of our club".

But thankyou for your holding me in such high regard :thumbsu:

Respect.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's time to move. Was a great player and gave us some awesome memories. Wouldn't mind the club signing him up for the VFL team TBH. Think he could contribute down there with some of the young guys.

If the club were to let go Dane Swan tomorrow some on this board would find a reason to support it with lines such as "yes hes getting a bit old and time to play the kids etc".

Fact is Didak was given SFA opportunity this year by Buckley and had everything to do with keeping the rat pack apart as much as possible. Didak unfortunatly was behind Swan and Shaw and was injured so it was much easier to keep him out whilst gifting games to other players. Buckley even resorted to playing Swan out of position on numerous times to teach him a lesson and and eventually got rid of Shaw.

Id say letting Swan go was also looked at but Magpie supporters would have torn the Westpac Centre part if that happened.

If the club were to let go Dane Swan tomorrow some on this board would find a reason to support it with lines such as "yes hes getting a bit old and time to play the kids etc".

Fact is Didak was given SFA opportunity this year by Buckley and had everything to do with keeping the rat pack apart as much as possible. Didak unfortunatly was behind Swan and Shaw and was injured so it was much easier to keep him out whilst gifting games to other players. Buckley even resorted to playing Swan out of position on numerous times to teach him a lesson and and eventually got rid of Shaw.

Id say letting Swan go was also looked at but Magpie supporters would have torn the Westpac Centre part if that happened.

Yes, that's why 17 other teams jumped at the opportunity to sign him as soon as we delisted him.

Yes, that's why 17 other teams jumped at the opportunity to sign him as soon as we delisted him.

You dont think the lack of opportunity denied him the chance to show that he can still perform at the top level? Any team looking to pick up an older player who has played very little AFL the previous year would be even more cautious than they otherwise might be.

Keeping a player is one thing but drafting one is another.

You dont think the lack of opportunity denied him the chance to show that he can still perform at the top level? Any team looking to pick up an older player who has played very little AFL the previous year would be even more cautious than they otherwise might be.

Keeping a player is one thing but drafting one is another.
Still got delisted free agency to come.

Didak is done.

When he said he planned to retire at the end of 2013 and go to the world cup he sealed his fate at the pies. He is not a hard worker on the track, not a great role model and a GWS type side has plenty of talented kids it can develop of the forward flank/pocket who will ultimately be able to run through the midfield.

I enjoyed him, he brought excitement to the game but he is done.

Couldn't agree more.
The World Cup comment was dumb and an indication of his mindset.

History is littered with people who didn't make the most of the talent they had.
Didak was a good player, but could have been great.

Similar in talent to Stevie J, but lacked the commitment to become outstanding.

I've loved watching Didak over the years, but the game's gone past him, he's a shadow of his former self now. It's a shame he wasn't able to leave the games on his own terms, but his contributions to the club have been enormous.

I just don't think he has the skillset required in the year 2014, players these days have to be two way runners, Didak isn't. Fowards need to provide a physical presence, Didak doesn't. Players can't even flinch on their attack on the ball because the game is so quick it will be taken away in an instant by someone who's hungrier and desperate, unfortunately Didak doesn't fit the bill in that respect either. I know it sounds harsh, but footy has evolved and Didak hasn't evolved with it.

Hey Kruger, you of all people must appreciate that in the quest for Premierships there's little place for sentimentality!

When is the right time to move players and coaches on? When they've degraded to the stage of being complete duds? Ie: years after they've played their best? Should we still be playing Daicos? Or McGuane? Or any of those other loyal club champions from yesteryear who refused to accept their career was over?

All players get old. All coaches get old. They've all got to be moved on sometime.

Fact is Didak was given SFA opportunity this year by Buckley ...

Given Buckley starved Dids of opportunity in 2013, then perhaps he should have moved Dids on at the end of 2012? Maybe we tried?

Buckley even resorted to playing Swan out of position on numerous times to teach him a lesson and and eventually got rid of Shaw.

You mean by playing Swan in the forward line?

I think the reason Buckley did that is because Swanny is a very handy player in the forward line in a team that struggled to find avenues to goal in 2013. I don't think there was any "teaching Swan a lesson" about it - but we may need to agree to disagree about that.

There was a poll thread a month or two ago asking if you'd trade Swan for number one draft pick. From memory around half the respondants answered "Hell yeah!"

Back