Alan Jones and the blurred lines of Australian media and politics

Remove this Banner Ad

The advertisers thing is a bit of a storm in a teacup. They will move their ads to other timeslots on the same station, and quietly bring them back in a few months once all the fuss dies down.

Internet slacktivists don't have a long attention span.

The advertisers thing is a bit of a storm in a teacup. They will move their ads to other timeslots on the same station, and quietly bring them back in a few months once all the fuss dies down.

Internet slacktivists don't have a long attention span.

Mercedes Benz begs to differ...

A cynical person might say that after already cancelling a major part of their advertising with 2UE for commecial reasons a couple of weeks before Jones' comments, the furore made a useful pretext for getting out of their contracts altogether.

Regardless, I doubt this will have any significant impact on Jones or the network. Has anyone other than Mercedes actually ceased advertising with 2UE?

The correct code word is "international banking cabal"

chapter3 Protocols of Elders of Zion :rolleyes:

A cynical person might say that after already cancelling a major part of their advertising with 2UE for commecial reasons a couple of weeks before Jones' comments, the furore made a useful pretext for getting out of their contracts altogether.

Regardless, I doubt this will have any significant impact on Jones or the network. Has anyone other than Mercedes actually ceased advertising with 2UE?

Coles DOWN DOWN, Woolworths... others

he drove in to parking depot in a Lexus.

In photos at the moment he seems like a petulant child, that scowl happening.

All a kilter for him.....

The Mercedes Benz reply was priceless, he should never of spoken as he did about them on air. A reminder to all other advertisers that he has not changed and has no remorse for what he has done.

Yeah, but they cancelled their ads on 2GB *BEFORE* the comments were made (notice period was still going), then tried to make it look 'principled'.

I was unaware of this development. What is your source on the matter?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oh, that's right, I forgot you still grasp at the anti-science conspiracy theories around climate change. It always surprises me because you're normally such a reasonable guy. I guess everyone has their idiosyncrasies

You're normally a reasonable guy too but I guess overlooking Al Gore bullshit in his movie An Inconvenient Truth, suggesting that the sea would rise up to 20ft "in the near future" puts you firmly in the hysterical warming alarmist gang.

As for Flannery, he is a complete joke. Predicted droughts and major Australian cities would need desalination plants - we got floods. How can anyone take him seriously?

You're normally a reasonable guy too but I guess overlooking Al Gore bullshit in his movie An Inconvenient Truth, suggesting that the sea would rise up to 20ft "in the near future" puts you firmly in the hysterical warming alarmist gang.

Correction: he said IF Greenland were to melt then it would raise sea levels by 20 ft. That's true. The inaccuracy was in the omission of how long it would take for that to happen under future scenarios

As for Flannery, he is a complete joke. Predicted droughts and major Australian cities would need desalination plants - we got floods. How can anyone take him seriously?

So you don't think we'll have any more droughts? Nor that they'll get more extreme?

Do you think that back when we were running out of water from a decade long drought and needed desal plants, that those conditions won't ever happen again? And if they do happen again do you think they will also put severe strain on our water supplies? And if those conditions are more extreme, more frequent, do you think that the strains on the already dwindling water supplies would increase?

Correction: he said IF Greenland were to melt then it would raise sea levels by 20 ft. That's true. The inaccuracy was in the omission of how long it would take for that to happen under future scenarios

So you don't think we'll have any more droughts? Nor that they'll get more extreme?

Do you think that back when we were running out of water from a decade long drought and needed desal plants, that those conditions won't ever happen again? And if they do happen again do you think they will also put severe strain on our water supplies? And if those conditions are more extreme, more frequent, do you think that the strains on the already dwindling water supplies would increase?

I have highlighted in another thread that recent rainfall is not outside long term patterns.

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threa...-mothballed-in-sa.976372/page-2#post-25978395

Al Gore's "omissions' and Flannery's mis-predictions about droughts have had more influence on policy than Alan Jones opinions. They are more dangerous than him.

By the way, Monday night's Media Watch had an interesting dissection of the ethics behind the initial investigative reporting / recording of the speech. It's got a bit lost in the furore, but it is an interesting topic completely aside from the substance of Jones's statements. Worth checking out on iViiew.

image.png

It just gets better. A group of Jones' supporters have canceled a planned rally due to the "sensitive situation with the cyber attack". That "sensitive situation" wouldn't have anything to do with their rally receiving almost no support by any chance?

Oh and of course people expressing their freedom of speech through encouraging people to not buy items from those companies that advertise on Alan Jones' show "threatened free speech and the rights of businesses to choose where they advertise". Makes sense to me...

http://au.news.yahoo.com/latest/a/-/latest/15104736/jones-backers-cancel-rally-of-support/?cmp

By the way, Monday night's Media Watch had an interesting dissection of the ethics behind the initial investigative reporting / recording of the speech. It's got a bit lost in the furore, but it is an interesting topic completely aside from the substance of Jones's statements. Worth checking out on iViiew.
Just had a look - definitely food for thought.

If you want to talk freedom of speech, look no further than the ludicrous situation here in the UK.

4 months prison for an 'offensive' tshirt. 3 months prison for posting 'insensitive' remarks about dead soldiers on facebook.

Half the s**t that gets posted on SRP would land you in prison in the UK.

Absurd.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back