Northalives

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 12, 2005
Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
PORT ADELAIDE
Alan Jones is a vile and reprehensible man. The measure of what of pig of a man he is, is the fact that he has concealed his sexuality not because of any privacy concerns, but because he wants to preserve his status as a champion of the anti-homosexual, anti-muslim, anti anything that doesn't suit the EPA agenda or the right wing rabid capitalists or the extremist Christians.

He will go down in history as an abominable and repugnant person who incited violence, racism and bigotry. He has been Australia's misfortune.

Back in my right wing loony days I used to be a rusted on Jones listener.

That changed in 2003 with my conversion to a far better human being.

In hindsight, I can see how he fed my political beliefs and in fact often helped determine them. I wouldn't disagree with him too often.

So I can kinda relate to his listening audience in that regard (having been there).

The big difference is that so many of his listeners don't have the capacity to change, or question what they are being told, as I was lucky enough to be able to do.

I still to this day respect his work ethic, despite how little I think of him as a person and of his opinions.

Sydney in particular will be a better place for his departure from the airwaves.

Jul 5, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Kidding, right?

In hindsight, I can see how he fed my political beliefs and in fact often helped determine them. I wouldn't disagree with him too often.

So I can kinda relate to his listening audience in that regard (having been there).

The big difference is that so many of his listeners don't have the capacity to change, or question what they are being told, as I was lucky enough to be able to do.

I still to this day respect his work ethic, despite how little I think of him as a person and of his opinions.

Sydney in particular will be a better place for his departure from the airwaves.
Didn't know this about you Sherb. What caused the penny to drop, if you don't mind me asking?

Didn't know this about you Sherb. What caused the penny to drop, if you don't mind me asking?
Iraq War.

It made me completely revisit my views.

Jul 5, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Kidding, right?
Iraq War.

It made me completely revisit my views.
You wouldn't be the first. Howard/Blair/Bush worked very hard on making people turn left.

For me, I grew up in an ABC-loving, Lib-voting household. I had a pretty conservative (old-style conservative, not rapacious-vulture-capitalism-style "conservative") outlook. Then in my early twenties, met some formidable leftist types who showed me what a lala land world I'd been living in.

Contrary to the BS cliche, the older I get, the less conservative I get.

You wouldn't be the first. Howard/Blair/Bush worked very hard on making people turn left.

For me, I grew up in an ABC-loving, Lib-voting household. I had a pretty conservative (old-style conservative, not rapacious-vulture-capitalism-style "conservative") outlook. Then in my early twenties, met some formidable leftist types who showed me what a lala land world I'd been living in.

Contrary to the BS cliche, the older I get, the less conservative I get.
I'd got pretty complacent about politics in my 20s and the Gulf War got me engaged again.

Jun 30, 2009
Deroesfromgero
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
east perth
You need to be more like your fearless leader, Anthony Albanese. He had the dignity and class to praise and thank Alan Jones for his untold charity work and his contributions to Australia. You should always respect your greatest adversaries. It shows humility and a willingness to learn from your weaknesses and mistakes.
Im guessing your parents are the most humble people on the face of this and any other planet.

Lebbo73

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 20, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool

Now I understand where everything went wrong. Happiness is a given on the right of center.

Now I understand where everything went wrong. Happiness is a given on the right of center.
Thank you for your kindness Lebs, always appreciated mate.

Happiest when they're bitching about whatever the " outrage of the week " is

May 2, 2007
WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Chicago Bears, de Boer, Arsenal
Accusing me of whinging regularly. You need to show us how your posts aren’t one big LNP hate fest. 😉
I meant righties as a whole.

They wrote the book , we've had this exact argument 100 times already :D

AM

The standard you walk past is the one you accept
Aug 18, 2006
Here there and everywhere
AFL Club
Geelong

I think your first sentence speaks volumes. His appeal was largely to rusted on raving rightists and almost exclusively in the Sydney market. He undoubtedly had influence in the political sphere but I'm not convinced he changed too many votes.

He's still going to parrot on with his bigotry, racism and divisiveness late at night on Sky to the paltry audience they get.

Back