Alan Richardson: where's the pressure?

pluggeranddoc

All Australian
Apr 6, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
Do you actually have the ability to not get personal when a dogs fan says something?

Where is your class in the midfield? Ross, Steven, Stevens, Newnes don't really have any. They find the footy but there's no one in the middle who can win a game with 25 touches.

And Josh Bruce? What's happened to him?

These were my points, instead of trying to bag my team for winning the flag (wtf) can you actually acknowledge them?
We are and always have been St.Kilda!
Bit hard copping lectures from supporters of a minnow club who had to sell their name and their collective bottoms as they can-rattled to survive, on the back of a Bradbury flag!

Roadto2018

Club Legend
Oct 9, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur FC
Do you actually have the ability to not get personal when a dogs fan says something?

Where is your class in the midfield? Ross, Steven, Stevens, Newnes don't really have any. They find the footy but there's no one in the middle who can win a game with 25 touches.

And Josh Bruce? What's happened to him?

These were my points, instead of trying to bag my team for winning the flag (wtf) can you actually acknowledge them?

Steven literally has won games with 25 possessions, been best on with 22 before. Agree on the others but not everyone can be matchwinners with 25 touches, Stevens was never going to be a matchwinner but we paid almost nothing for him and has been a decent stop gap, ross isn't going to win matches with 25 touches but he has still won us matches and I would say does have a fair bit of class about him. Not sure if you've watched much of Sinclair this season but classy is the only way someone could describe him. Billings has shown the ability to win matches with 25 touches as well.

There's still guys with plenty of improvement left in them as well, Gresham (who I would argue could in time fit into the winning games with 25 touches category) and Acres predominantly, Freeman we haven't seen at all but has talent, billings even has improvement left in him. Moving away from the midfield Mccartin and Goddard haven't had a good run at it at any point in time, both are a while off but still have scope to improve massively, as does Brandon White who I doubt you'll have heard much about.

I can't really answer what's happened to Bruce, he's been much better since he came back in to the team but our whole forward line hasn't been functioning well this year, frustratingly Membrey played his best game and was then suspended, Riewoldt is cooked, and Mccartin has just had a year to forget. So I guess in a way it's a good sign that they haven't clicked this year yet we're still 9-7 including a win against GWS where they kicked 2 goals between them (0 from Riewoldt). Providing the combination of Bruce Mccartin Membrey works from next year onwards this should also drive much of our improvement.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
To be fair Ross Lyon left the Saints list in terrible terrible shape. If they can't land a big name they have been hunting maybe this trade season they target 3 to 4 solid best 22 role players to fill gaps in the side. Like the Hawks did with players such as Hale. Allowing them to use their 2 first round picks in the draft.
No, Ross Lyon didn't leave the saints list in terrible shape. All of a sudden the list is in terrible shape after making two grand finals? If they'd gone back to back would the list still have been in terrible shape?

It's a ridiculous fallacy by not only saints supporters but anyone else who buys into the 'ross lyon was terrible' crap. The guy not only took St Kilda to grand finals, but has also Fremantles most successful coach. There is only so much a coach can do before the armchair experts that clog these forums have to realise there are 22 players on the field.

Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
Crunch time is next year, was.never gonna be top 4 this year so don't really matters but next year is when the axe should swing
Pretty spot on. You're in a similar position to Melbourne bar the senior players. You're a young side that's going to look great some weeks and pretty average the next, I.e Richmond & Essendon contrast. Next year is when you'd want to be playing finals. That's definitely a non negotiable. Like Melbourne.

TheEnsign

Club Legend
Zombie Lover A Star Wars Fan
Jun 24, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
As others have said, the rebuild arguably began at the start of 2014 so it's disingenuous to call it a 5 - 6 year rebuild.

I think for the club and supporters, this is the last year where missing finals would be tolerated. I see us getting to 12 wins from here and missing on percentage again. Not great, but not terrible given that our double ups weren't all that easy - WC, Melb, Richmond, Sydney and North - while North dropped, Melbourne and Richmond have both improved considerably. Richo should be allowed to see out his contract and if no finals next year, well, might have to move him on.

I agree with the criticism that we have no out and out stars - Seb Ross has been having a fantastic year but he's not really a game changer / match winner type, just an excellent mid with great decision making and reliable output. The club has been clear though that this trade period we'll be going hard at an absolute gun, and we have the picks to do it.

Tiger_4_Life

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 13, 2011
AFL Club
Richmond
If saints somehow snare dusty or Kelly... Look out, people are writing them off after one bad loss and a massive win the week before? This year is completely silly. Lots of talent on their list, still building and massive scope for improvement.

Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
If saints somehow snare dusty or Kelly... Look out, people are writing them off after one bad loss and a massive win the week before? This year is completely silly. Lots of talent on their list, still building and massive scope for improvement.
They need a big scalp at seasons end. They also need Mccartin to come on next year.

Bald

Premium Gold
Apr 5, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Boston Celtics
We are and always have been St.Kilda!
Bit hard copping lectures from supporters of a minnow club who had to sell their name and their collective bottoms as they can-rattled to survive, on the back of a Bradbury flag!
What's the definition of minnow?

Why would dusty or kelly come to a side that doesn't play finals

Bald

Premium Gold
Apr 5, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Boston Celtics
Vic club with minimal support or relevance leading to multiple failed merger discussions and ultimate loss of identity in order to survive!
Oh, so we were a minnow club then, because none of those things actually apply to us anymore, at least in comparison to St Kilda, right? In terms of support specifically. There's also been no discussion of merging for many many years and we've had the identity we currently have for 21 years.

Not sure why you're stating that we are still a minnow club, thanks for confirming!

Ross Lyon started playing youth in his last year at St. Kilda. Most of you are really really stupid.
Random comment. What's your point here? What does it have to do with Alan Richardson?

Whilst I agree that he did start to play the kids the manner in which he played them was sparodic and not in line with how they were being developed in the VFL. For example tom lynch was being played down back in the VFL would play a good game there, then would be recalled but played ok the half forward flank in a completely different role. He would play a meh game surprise surprise then be dropped and made emergency for a bunch of games.

This happened to other players on the list as well. VFL mids would go from the midfield to the half back flank in the AFL etc. It was basically all ass about

lewdogs

Cancelled
Saints Pledge Contributor
Jun 4, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Arsenal, Portland Trailblazers
At our best we have shown that we are capable of beating anyone. Next step is to gain more consistency. Don't think there'd be any pressure on Richo right now job wise; he knows that's the next step we need to take.

Also we are well and truly in finals contention still which is about where we hoped to be this year.

May 24, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Richardson has only taken us up the ladder? He hasn't failed a year or taken us back.
he came in and has tried to rebuild this team, and that needs to come with patience.
Maybe it will be a failed year if we don't make finals this year, but, don't be so quick to hang a coach after a couple of disappointing performances.
Stupid thread

Ricmel

Premium Platinum
Jul 13, 2009
AFL Club
St Kilda
They need a big scalp at seasons end. They also need Mccartin to come on next year.

I think this is spot on and really sums up this thread. In 2014 the club publicly targeted 2018 as the year the team joins the contenders. I think they are a big name and McCartin away from that today.

Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
I think this is spot on and really sums up this thread. In 2014 the club publicly targeted 2018 as the year the team joins the contenders. I think they are a big name and McCartin away from that today.
I can't see it being Martin. Reckon he will stay. Kelly is a chance. But yeah, McCartin you really need to come on. Roo just can't dominate forever. It'll actually free up Bruce as well.

Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
At our best we have shown that we are capable of beating anyone. Next step is to gain more consistency. Don't think there'd be any pressure on Richo right now job wise; he knows that's the next step we need to take.

Also we are well and truly in finals contention still which is about where we hoped to be this year.
Good call. Saints best football is pretty exciting. Just suffering from inconsistency which is understandable for a young side.

Capt Hindsight

Cancelled
Sep 22, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
No, Ross Lyon didn't leave the saints list in terrible shape. All of a sudden the list is in terrible shape after making two grand finals? If they'd gone back to back would the list still have been in terrible shape?

It's a ridiculous fallacy by not only saints supporters but anyone else who buys into the 'ross lyon was terrible' crap. The guy not only took St Kilda to grand finals, but has also Fremantles most successful coach. There is only so much a coach can do before the armchair experts that clog these forums have to realise there are 22 players on the field.
When he left the saints and went to Fremantle the list was old and without many young players of quality. The list when he left had to undergo a major rebuild. Hence he left the list in terrible condition.
I never said he was a terrible coach. He is a good coach that just hasn't tasted the ultimate reward for his efforts.

Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
When he left the saints and went to Fremantle the list was old and without many young players of quality. The list when he left had to undergo a major rebuild. Hence he left the list in terrible condition.
I never said he was a terrible coach. He is a good coach that just hasn't tasted the ultimate reward for his efforts.
That's fair. I also wonder why Scott Watters name isn't mentioned much?

Sep 20, 2008
Geelong
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Sacramento Kings
Do people not get that just because ross lyon left in 2011, it doesn't mean our rebuild started then? In 2012 we had largely the same list we did for the 2010 grand final.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

So he didn't leave the St.Kilda list in tatters as most St.Kilda fans say?

fnerd

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 23, 2009
Castilly rock
AFL Club
Fremantle
You're correct that Collingwood was only five years, but that wasn't a full rebuild given they'd made the grand final in 2003.

Geelong, 1999 to 2007, eight years.
Hawthorn, 2001 to 2008, seven years.
Collingwood, 2005 to 2010, five years, off a grand final in 2003
Ah nice twisting of the "facts " there mate....Geelong made a semi and pre lim 04/5 so and were but 10 seconds off another or pre lim in 05.thats pretty close to being "built" Wouldn't you think?
So that's 5 years till contending ,and we're obviously playing finals during that time

And wrong again on hawthornt they were still in a pre lim 2001 and going for broke.... their "rebuild" didn't really start till Clarke took over in 04 so that's 4 years in my book

Back