Toast Alan Richardson

Remove this Banner Ad

*Other thread has hit 10,000 replies, continue discussion here*

Big day for the football club today and it couldn't have been handled any better I thought.

Our presser today was first class, both Alan & Matt spoke really really well and for our skipper to front the media as well - I think we did it as best we could and with as much respect as we could.

Alan Richardson ends his tenure at St.Kilda as the second longest serving coach in club history, having coached 126 games.

Near finals appearances in 2016 and 2017, and really a pivotal person in the reshaping of the football club after the rebuild in 2013/2014.

Has overseen the emergence of some of our young boys - Marshall, Billings, Gresham, Steele, Wilkie, Lonie, Battle, Parker, Hind, Long, Clark, Coffield, Dunstan, Sinclair - a core group of talented young players that are ready to take the next step.

While his coaching performance hasn't been what we would've liked, over six seasons he has conducted himself with immense integrity, professionalism and care for his players and our beloved football club.

Here are the press conferences from today if you would like to catch up with it all;

Alan leaves with a final message to us - the supporters.

To the St Kilda faithful,

Following today’s announcement, I wanted to take this opportunity to thank all St Kilda members and fans for their support over the past six years.

It has been a great honour to hold the position of senior coach at a club that is loved by so many, and I will always be thankful for the opportunity.

Stepping aside immediately allows the club to move on with the planning for next year without any distraction regarding my position.

I am disappointed that we haven’t been able to deliver the success you deserve, but I know the club is now better placed then ever for the future.

We have a young and talented group, who as we saw against Geelong have the ability and character to drive this club forward.

On a personal note, I have genuinely enjoyed meeting a huge number of fans across Australia - from those who attend opening training sessions at Moorabbin, to those who provide so much support when we travel interstate.

Don’t ever underestimate how much your passion impacts our players and I encourage you to get behind the team for the remainder of the season and beyond.

Thanks,
Alan

This thread will be served as a thankyou/farewell more-so than a critique of his coaching - I think it's time to move on from that and look ahead! I'd respectfully ask for those comments to be left out of this thread. To discuss coaching we have a dedicated thread. For discussion on the current interim coach you can find it here.

Thanks for everything Alan.

From Roast thread to Toast thread in half a day.

Thanks Alan and all the very best in your future.

Highlights for me are the Richmond game where we smashed them and that win against GWS at Marvel (might have been earlier the same year).
Remember walking back to the train station amongst an army other Sainters in full song after that with a feeling we'd turned a corner.

Also some of the earlier wins when some 'experts' had written us off as having a 0 win season.

He has handled himself very well this year, in spite of everything going against him.

Go Saints.

Quoting Joffaboy from the previous thread...

Feel this is correct.
The worst day for a football club is handling parting ways with the coach.
I feel this was handled as best it could under the circumstances.
Always a bad day. It means we are further away from a flag than ever
emoji45.png

Alternately, in my usual optimistic frame of mind, if Richo wasn’t going to get us one, then we are now one step (albeit tiny) closer to the next one

Quoting Joffaboy from the previous thread...

Feel this is correct.
The worst day for a football club is handling parting ways with the coach.
I feel this was handled as best it could under the circumstances.
Always a bad day. It means we are further away from a flag than ever
emoji45.png

Alternately, in my usual optimistic frame of mind, if Richo wasn’t going to get us one, then we are now one step (albeit tiny) closer to the next one

agree. we get the chance to really rebuild the footy club here. that's a fantastic opportunity.

I feel a little sad now, I've invested 2 years into this campaign, a little lost. We were expecting it but at the same time don't think many actually thought it would happen in season

Will take the new coach a year to bed down his style.

2020 already a write off

2021 finals - maybe

2020 wasn't going to be a our crescendo anyway, blokes still to young, midfield issues. Next year is a great time for a new coach, will know what Paddy, Robbo and Stuv are doing ( I expect all 3 gone tbh ) King Bytel and hopefully Hanners from the start of the year. Pick a young captain or even go down the GT line of rotating them, find out where the natural leadership is.

New coach has alot of opportunities.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Am I the only one who felt like that press conference was a bit icy between Richo and Finnis?

“I asked Matt not to talk about my family” - Richo

Didn’t start out with a statement just throwing to questions rather than giving a statement which Matt Finnis suggested he do. I dunno, maybe overanalysing but didn’t look agreeable between the two to me.

Well then
Here we are

Again.
Sigh
At least its familiar territory
Cheers richo..

Feel a tiny bit sad because we did have some injuries this year and that always makes u wonder.
I mean paddy and robbo, stuv, hanners cooked from the get go lets be honest, gears, jimmy, lose koby to concussion, king would've played maddies round onwards, bytels back problem, jake out for a fair chunk, Lonie for near on 10 weeks, kent quad, longer concussion
Fmd we would be structurally diff.

Anyway
Decisions made, was the correct one, lets move on

Have heard only good things about Richo. Pretty amazing what's come out now he's gone.

Must be a lovely person. Hope he lands on his feet somewhere in the football world.

I haven't posted here in a long time because the atmosphere has been pathetically toxic for an extended period of time.

I just want to take the opportunity to say that Richo has shown himself to be far classier than his detractors. I'm not totally opposed to this removal but can't help but feel we have lost a massive asset. He gave himself totally to the club and was loyal right to the end. Whether or not he deserves to be a senior coach he was the architect of modern successful football if you've paid attention. A clearly intelligent man, with obvious flaws, who never lost the players.

Despite the vitriol lofted at him so frequently here describing him in absurd ways he was humble enough to say that he wasn't able to make it happen and he took responsibility. I think the lack of success was mostly from factors outside of his control, but even if they weren't, he's demonstrating his strong character. Even in his final words to the supporters he was saying that we deserve success and he was still selling the capability of the team.

I have never disliked Richo before but after today he will always have my respect. A serious boon for whoever gets him next in their footy department.

And with that I retire to obscurity once again.

Am I the only one who felt like that press conference was a bit icy between Richo and Finnis?

“I asked Matt not to talk about my family” - Richo

Didn’t start out with a statement just throwing to questions rather than giving a statement which Matt Finnis suggested he do. I dunno, maybe overanalysing but didn’t look agreeable between the two to me.

thats what i commented on earlier and agree that's how i took it as well. i don't think there was a lot of bad blood though. went down pretty well.

did people pick up on the premeditated question by tom brown?

Will take the new coach a year to bed down his style.

2020 already a write off

2021 finals - maybe

my personal guess is everything is working to a 2022 time time. coach gets 3 years. lethers will have until then. gubby the same. list boss too.

they're all in and have got 3 years to show something!

richo was very very lucky. he cashed in all the cheques from the "instable", "st kilda sack too many coaches" and "everything ends badly" optics created from our well documented past. he did very well for himself. i can't see it repeating for a long time.

i reckon in a decades time we will all look back on this and go. holy s**t! how did he get that long!

I can't think of anything bad to say about Richo and wouldn't want to. He walked into an absolute shambles and was given an impossible task. He tried his best and had a crack, the back end of 2016 and first half of 2017 were the high points.

Gave it his all and it didn't work out, left with his head held high and gained a lot of respect from everyone. Hopefully the next full time coach knows what he's coming into and is fully committed.

Major issues for me are well above Richo, a lot of work that needs to be done to turn it around.

All the best to Richo with whatever he does next.

I haven't posted here in a long time because the atmosphere has been pathetically toxic for an extended period of time.

I just want to take the opportunity to say that Richo has shown himself to be far classier than his detractors. I'm not totally opposed to this removal but can't help but feel we have lost a massive asset. He gave himself totally to the club and was loyal right to the end. Whether or not he deserves to be a senior coach he was the architect of modern successful football if you've paid attention. A clearly intelligent man, with obvious flaws, who never lost the players.

Despite the vitriol lofted at him so frequently here describing him in absurd ways he was humble enough to say that he wasn't able to make it happen and he took responsibility. I think the lack of success was mostly from factors outside of his control, but even if they weren't, he's demonstrating his strong character. Even in his final words to the supporters he was saying that we deserve success and he was still selling the capability of the team.

I have never disliked Richo before but after today he will always have my respect. A serious boon for whoever gets him next in their footy department.

And with that I retire to obscurity once again.
Great post. Don't be a stranger.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back