Toast Alan Richardson

Sep 27, 2012
Behind You
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Phoenix Suns
It says a lot about Richo that he was still dressed in his Saints gear despite having departed the club.
Not many coaches continue to fly the club colours on their departure. Note Scott's departure of Nth. Not a nth logo to be found.

Despite his departure I feel like his impact will be felt years to come with some of our players development.
Thanks for your service Richo.

bergholt

Good Ordinary Player
Mar 14, 2007
Brunswick
AFL Club
St Kilda
It’s worth also remembering that a whole lot has to go right for any coach to succeed. They’re at the mercy of list management decisions made well before they started, financial and business considerations which they can’t possibly change, luck with injuries and the bounce of the ball and player development and trading and staff competence and everything else.

Fair to say that Richo didn’t really get the rub of the green on most or all of these.

It says a lot about Richo that he was still dressed in his Saints gear despite having departed the club.
Not many coaches continue to fly the club colours on their departure. Note Scott's departure of Nth. Not a nth logo to be found.

Despite his departure I feel like his impact will be felt years to come with some of our players development.
Thanks for your service Richo.
Even Bolton. He was just in a business shirt.

Tommy Wigs

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 10, 2012
AFL Club
St Kilda
I don’t understand the vitriol on SEN. Listened for a little bit on two different occasions. Who could be shocked?! Understand different perspectives, the injuries etc, and not everyone agrees on timing (or ever), but the “selling him down the river”, yeah wow. And I’ve been a touch in his camp tbh. Just more kicking the boots in.

*Other thread has hit 10,000 replies, continue discussion here*

Big day for the football club today and it couldn't have been handled any better I thought.

Our presser today was first class, both Alan & Matt spoke really really well and for our skipper to front the media as well - I think we did it as best we could and with as much respect as we could.

Alan Richardson ends his tenure at St.Kilda as the second longest serving coach in club history, having coached 126 games.

Near finals appearances in 2016 and 2017, and really a pivotal person in the reshaping of the football club after the rebuild in 2013/2014.

Has overseen the emergence of some of our young boys - Marshall, Billings, Gresham, Steele, Wilkie, Lonie, Battle, Parker, Hind, Long, Clark, Coffield, Dunstan, Sinclair - a core group of talented young players that are ready to take the next step.

While his coaching performance hasn't been what we would've liked, over six seasons he has conducted himself with immense integrity, professionalism and care for his players and our beloved football club.

Here are the press conferences from today if you would like to catch up with it all;

Alan leaves with a final message to us - the supporters.

This thread will be served as a thankyou/farewell more-so than a critique of his coaching - I think it's time to move on from that and look ahead! I'd respectfully ask for those comments to be left out of this thread. To discuss coaching we have a dedicated thread. For discussion on the current interim coach you can find it here.

Thanks for everything Alan.

I admire your φιλότιμο, George. But I can't help feeling it is severely misplaced.

Have heard only good things about Richo. Pretty amazing what's come out now he's gone.

Must be a lovely person. Hope he lands on his feet somewhere in the football world.

would love to hear "whats come out now he's gone"

There's been a bit said about the start of the press conference. I'm the sentimental kind so it may cloud my judgement but I'm the complete opposite of those that say it caused tension between Matt and Alan.

Given my advancing years I've had the opportunity to see many a mate have a milestone function. I've given speeches and also seen my mates give them. In some cases I've done similar as knew my mate would be pleased that he wouldn't be embarrassed by breaking down.

What I saw was a very very close mate/work colleague get out the thanks to the family saving the person from doing it. Where I come from it wasn't disrespect it was an absolute sign of understanding of the situation. Could be wrong but I have a strong hunch that I'm more than likely to be right.

At the end of the day the love and respect to Alan's family from the StK FC was recorded. I have the feeling that Alan will be pleased with that.

Just my thoughts

Sully111

Premiership Player
Jun 10, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
As i've said previously, I feel he was up against it from the start with the powers that be having an unrealistic view of where our list was at. The only way for success is for everybody to know where they're at... i don't think Richo ever had that luxury.

All the best to you Richo.

No problem with Richo the man, just think he was not up to the task of senior coach- not everyone is a born coach...some are. Hope he does well in the future.
Agreed. Wish people would stop feeling the need to pot shot each other and discuss the one thing we are here for - football.

Parkers tatts

Team Captain
Mar 10, 2019
AFL Club
St Kilda
There's been a bit said about the start of the press conference. I'm the sentimental kind so it may cloud my judgement but I'm the complete opposite of those that say it caused tension between Matt and Alan.

Given my advancing years I've had the opportunity to see many a mate have a milestone function. I've given speeches and also seen my mates give them. In some cases I've done similar as knew my mate would be pleased that he wouldn't be embarrassed by breaking down.

What I saw was a very very close mate/work colleague get out the thanks to the family saving the person from doing it. Where I come from it wasn't disrespect it was an absolute sign of understanding of the situation. Could be wrong but I have a strong hunch that I'm more than likely to be right.

At the end of the day the love and respect to Alan's family from the StK FC was recorded. I have the feeling that Alan will be pleased with that.

Just my thoughts
Good call

Sep 28, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
By all means critisise his work, but today has reminded me of the old adage 'Everyone loves you when you are dead'.

So things posted about him over the journey have been appalling, but suddenly today he is a good bloke.

Yup
I think the description you are searching for is: “sanctimonious bile”.

D2D3

Club Legend
May 20, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
I don’t understand the vitriol on SEN. Listened for a little bit on two different occasions. Who could be shocked?! Understand different perspectives, the injuries etc, and not everyone agrees on timing (or ever), but the “selling him down the river”, yeah wow. And I’ve been a touch in his camp tbh. Just more kicking the boots in.

SEN will always get it's nuffies but they've really gone down hill since they axed half their team a couple of years back.

I missed it, what did he say?
Basically raised the question if richo had asked finnis for more time to see it through. Sounded like he knew. Richo didn't bat it away either. It's at the end of the richo video on the club website.

Sep 25, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
Pretty sombre feeling today. We all knew this day was coming and now that it's here, i can't help but feel a bit sad. It's groundhog day, and another coach has failed. Sigh..

When I look back on Richo's 6 years, i reckon his greatest accomplishment was bringing stability to the club and improving our culture. Before he started, our club was constantly in the news for all the wrong reasons. Since then, we've enjoyed a sustained period of tranquillity and harmony, quite amazing given our history.

Listening to 3aw earlier, i heard the aunt of an ex-player(didn't say who) talk about the unwavering care and support he gives his players even after they've left the club. Its no surprise then that the boys showed fight against geelong and continued to play for him, when they could easily have rolled over.

It's extremely rare for an axed coach to leave with so much goodwill from his ex players, staff and fans. But given his contribution to the growth of the club and his influence on everyone there, it's hardly surprising. He departs with dignity and with the respect of the wider football community. Honestly, that's not a bad legacy to have.

Pretty sombre feeling today. We all knew this day was coming and now that it's here, i can't help but feel a bit sad. It's groundhog day, and another coach has failed. Sigh..

When I look back on Richo's 6 years, i reckon his greatest accomplishment was bringing stability to the club and improving our culture. Before he started, our club was constantly in the news for all the wrong reasons. Since then, we've enjoyed a sustained period of tranquillity and harmony, quite amazing given our history.

Listening to 3aw earlier, i heard the aunt of an ex-player(didn't say who) talk about the unwavering care and support he gives his players even after they've left the club. Its no surprise then that the boys showed fight against geelong and continued to play for him, when they could easily have rolled over.

It's extremely rare for an axed coach to leave with so much goodwill from his ex players, staff and fans. But given his contribution to the growth of the club and his influence on everyone there, it's hardly surprising. He departs with dignity and with the respect of the wider football community. Honestly, that's not a bad legacy to have.
Great post mate!

Had an impossible task when key players were falling over before the season started. Fought on as best he could and left the club with dignity.

Thanks Richo! Best wishes for the future.

nitewalker13

Club Legend
Jun 9, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
After Richo took over the reins in 2014, he lost lots of experienced players and 2016 was by far the best season under his coaching stints.

We can say He gave his best shot but he couldn't finish the job.

We as a supporters can only thank him for his tenure at saints and wish him good luck for his future.

In some way it's a pity they couldn't find a role for him elsewhere at the club. It's unrealistic I know but people who get respected like that are hard to come by in footy.

Back