Coach Alastair Clarkson III - new NMFC senior coach until at least end 2027 - NMFC board approved AC to start 1/11 amid ongoing HFC racism investigation

Status
Not open for further replies.

nelroo

Premiership Player
Aug 8, 2004
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Why would he require AFL permission to start on November 1? Is he on bail for hate crime or rape? Has AFL ever said he’s not allowed to coach?

FFS, the bloke has coached hundreds of players between 2005 and 2021. Dozens of indigenous players. And out of those you’ve got some bizarre allegations from 3(!) of them, which he categorically denies. Is some sort of investigation warranted? Yes. Does he need to ask permission to coach in the mean time, let alone coach under supervision? FFS, no.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
More so his mental state is not good. Sonja and Hardwick saying he is not in a good place. If that’s the case, its understandable he needs all his focus to be on fighting the allegations.

Why would he require AFL permission to start on November 1? Is he on bail for hate crime or rape? Has AFL ever said he’s not allowed to coach?

FFS, the bloke has coached hundreds of players between 2005 and 2021. Dozens of indigenous players. And out of those you’ve got some bizarre allegations from 3(!) of them, which he categorically denies. Is some sort of investigation warranted? Yes. Does he need to ask permission to coach in the mean time, let alone coach under supervision? FFS, no.

Yes, that's correct. In all of the hurly burly of the last couple of weeks, I overlooked the fact that he and Fagan both stood down, pending the outcome of the investigation.

But, therein lies the problem. The investigation may take months and we can't wait that long without a coach. To now turn around and say "I've changed my mind, I'm starting on 1/11", I think, anyway, is not all that smart a move. There is no way the AFL will be happy with that and even more so, imagine the rage that the media would send our way. Right now in my opinion, there is a fair bit of sympathy for us within the community (not the media obviously).

Instead, if we go to the AFL and say we can't be without a coach for as long as this process is likely to take. We want to start our man now, but to ensure all goes smoothly, we are prepared to have a minder keep an eye on things, even though we believe he is not the person he has been portrayed to be in the Hawthorn Report.

Lets not ruffle any feathers. Just my opinion.

Mar 23, 2001
Forever Death riding *
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wildcats/Pacers/Chelsea/Scorchers

I refuse to support a coffee vendor that doesn’t provide..

Drinks Starbucks GIF

big_e

Existential crisis management consultant
Apr 28, 2008
Back Pocket
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wycombe Wanderers
You're right - wasn't Sonja but was in the club's statement.

“Alastair was due to commence work with North Melbourne on November 1 however he will delay the start of his tenure to allow time to fully participate in the investigation."
So if the delay is "to allow time to fully participate in the investigation", but there is actually no investigation, I'd argue there's no impediment to him starting on 1 November.

Yes, that's correct. In all of the hurly burly of the last couple of weeks, I overlooked the fact that he and Fagan both stood down, pending the outcome of the investigation.

But, therein lies the problem. The investigation may take months and we can't wait that long without a coach. To now turn around and say "I've changed my mind, I'm starting on 1/11", I think, anyway, is not all that smart a move. There is no way the AFL will be happy with that and even more so, imagine the rage that the media would send our way. Right now in my opinion, there is a fair bit of sympathy for us within the community (not the media obviously).

Instead, if we go to the AFL and say we can't be without a coach for as long as this process is likely to take. We want to start our man now, but to ensure all goes smoothly, we are prepared to have a minder keep an eye on things, even though we believe he is not the person he has been portrayed to be in the Hawthorn Report.

Lets not ruffle any feathers. Just my opinion.
Considering the investigation is moving slower than molasses, or hasn't even started really, I very much think we will be put in that second position. But it will be interesting to see what date it is that we go to the AFL.

Also, undoubtedly the media will find out, or we will just straight tell them we are doing it cause better not to be secretive about it. How we will present it, how the media will interpret and who will inevitably be running stories against it.

The clusterf*ck that never ends.

All very interesting.

Jun 4, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Yep, Gil initially said 6-8 weeks iirc, and since then the AFLCA, Fagan, and Clarkson have all asked for it to start quickly while the AFLPA and the players and their families have raised issues and delayed it. Meanwhile Gil hasn't said a word after the first week. Even Barrett of all people said it would be fair enough for them to start Nov 1st considering the delays from what was originally promised/planned.

Mar 23, 2001
Forever Death riding *
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wildcats/Pacers/Chelsea/Scorchers
This dragging out is crippling us further. It needs to be sorted straight away.

Gil has s**t his pants over the allegations but he really couldn’t give two *s because all he’s worried about is his juicy fat TV rights bonus check clearing and the crystal clear water of the Maldives..

koshari

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 24, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
This dragging out is crippling us further. It needs to be sorted straight away.

Gil has s**t his pants over the allegations but he really couldn’t give two *s because all he’s worried about is his juicy fat TV rights bonus check clearing and the crystal clear water of the Maldives..
the JHF trade or the unethical coffee situation?

Kangalongtime

Senior List
Oct 7, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
With the exception of Caroline and the herald sun quoting from an almost decade old book , has anyone else noticed the leaking of reports etc has dried up since Clarkos statement last week ?

I didn’t see his statement as a veiled threat as commented on by many

I saw it as respectful to the process while also being very clear that you all need to be very careful with what you have said or intend to say

Sep 1, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
A few years ago i had some allegations made about me in the workplace. I was stood aside and had to work remotely. I wasn't allowed to talk to anyone and had to wait for the investigation to be conducted. The whole process took 2-3 months.
This was one of the hardest times in my life.
I can imagine in a small way what Clarko is going through but i wasn't under the eye of the media and the whole football world. You go through some very dark days.
You really need support of your family and friends.
The AFL needs to get this investigation completed as quick as possible so Clarko and Fagan can have their lives back.
In these situations it's difficult to know who the victims are.

Passmore

Brownlow Medallist
May 22, 2001
The Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Norf
With the exception of Caroline and the herald sun quoting from an almost decade old book , has anyone else noticed the leaking of reports etc has dried up since Clarkos statement last week ?

I saw it as respectful to the process while also being very clear that you all need to be very careful with what you have said or intend to say

All the footy journos have moved on for the time being.

A week or so ago, the plight of our First Nations people was the closest thing to their hearts. That has now been replaced by the AFL trade period with a dose of “Clarkson is a bit of a campaigner” in the middle.

I love the guy but that statement had a section that very clearly inferred legal action was not just possible but garaunteed if people keep f*ckin round

Kangalongtime

Senior List
Oct 7, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I love the guy but that statement had a section that very clearly inferred legal action was not just possible but garaunteed if people keep f*ckin round
Yeah that’s the point stayed respectful, but nothing veiled about it keep ******* with me and Dave the consequences

More so his mental state is not good. Sonja and Hardwick saying he is not in a good place. If that’s the case, its understandable he needs all his focus to be on fighting the allegations.

I’d say for his mental health he needs to get back to club environment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back