Coach Alastair Clarkson III - new NMFC senior coach until at least end 2027 - NMFC board approved AC to start 1/11 amid ongoing HFC racism investigation

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jeepers Sonja is an impressive operator. Said exactly what she needed to say to right some balance on the subject.

How about Hawthorn, asking questions they obviously weren’t prepared / equipt to deal with.

Expect a lot more stories to come out from other injured parties at other clubs. This will be an op for people to jump on and get paid for their s**t experiences. Which is fair enough.

Have appreciated your ITK contributions here. However, on this topic you write with a degree of certainty that I don't think is supported by anything other than the confidence with which you write it. Boomer was very specific on the radio a day or two ago saying that the coaches are in the dark. First coaches meeting was set to take place on 7 November - so I don't think discussions with players and the coaching staff remaining were ever that sophisticated and got into the detail of game plans and playing style. I also think you're underestimating the mental load of these allegations on Clarko. He is fundamentally a person driven by legacy, that's why he chose North (or at least a major part of it). The allegations risk damaging his existing legacy beyond repair which is taking a toll on him and was noted by Sonja specifically in her comments today. The very idea that he'd be pulling the strings during the trade period and for preseason when he needs to be fully engaged in this investigation seems fanciful. So all of this it is 'known' stuff, doesn't hold as much as I'd like you to be right.
On Boomer.
That may be his view of things no doubt. He's a part time dev coach, any communication between Clarkson and the club will likely come from Sonja or Viney. He won't publicly put it out there that he's still having input while stood down.

But he'd be shooting himself and the club in the foot by not making his wishes for the list etc known

She has read the report - that is fact - it was provided to all clubs affected and the AFL. Her statement would have taken this into account as well as Clarkos subsequent discussions with her. As I said the other day - that ABC journo better know a good lawyer.
It’s not lost on me that if it goes down the defamation road, it will be each and every one of us that helps foot the ultimate bill.

It won’t cost Russell a cent.

Last edited:
It’s not lost on me that if it goes down the defamation road, it will be each and everyone one of us that helps foot the ultimate bill.

It won’t cost Russell a cent.

He'd have personal defamation insurance anyway (you'd think).

The most likely outcome by a significant stretch is a managed solution where Clarko and Fagan admit they were wrong and should have handled things better, they've learned etc, and waive any intention to take it further for being allowed to keep coaching.

The complainants will get a very big payout courtesy of the AFL and also agree to waive any further legal action.

The most likely outcome by a significant stretch is a managed solution where Clarko and Fagan admit they were wrong and should have handled things better, they've learned etc, and waive any intention to take it further for being allowed to keep coaching.

The complainants will get a very big payout courtesy of the AFL and also agree to waive any further legal action.
Fanciful thinking.

You don't admit to something you didn't do.

The accused have been strong in denying the accusations, and to settle on your grounds would leave them tainted and unemployable.

Sent from my CPH2197 using Tapatalk

Fanciful thinking.

The accused have been strong in denying the accusations, and to settle on your grounds would leave them tainted and unemployable.

The AFL will make it clear to them that not settling will make them unemployable too.

Clarko has been around long to know how the game is played.

They will categorically deny racism, and the settlement will make that clear.

But they will admit to not handling the situations as well as they could or should.

Fanciful thinking.

For better or worse, it’s the pragmatic solution.

If they settle it would be with the clear comms that Fagan, Clarko, and co weren't directly responsible but are remorseful of how things turned out - as is the AFL - all agree there are steps to be taken to avoid this in the future. Payment is to assist those who have been negatively impacted by the situation. AFL commit to a program help avoid this in future.

Something to that effect.

Payouts would have to be from Hawthorne and should be deducted from their salary cap. Otherwise they are getting away with it Scott's free.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If they settle it would be with the clear comms that Fagan, Clarko, and co weren't directly responsible but are remorseful of how things turned out - as is the AFL - all agree there are steps to be taken to avoid this in the future. Payment is to assist those who have been negatively impacted by the situation. AFL commit to a program help avoid this in future.

Something to that effect.
If from what is being reported it true and the abortion never took place as those involve had the baby, then apart from counselling to the appropriate people involved about the issue isn't it just one's word against the others word? Also if counselled wouldn't those reports be like medical reports ,patient >client confidentiality?

Last edited:
Yes - us. ABC would fund any legals so we all pay. I did read a report that suggested that as he was quoting a published report he would have some cover as its not his words. Don't know enough about legal stuff at that level to know if that is right.

If from what is being reported it true and the abortion never took place as those involve had the baby then apart from counselling to the appropriate people involved about the issue then isn't it just word against word? Also if counselled wouldn't those reports be like medical reports ,patient >client confidentiality?

Perhaps a re-write so we know what you are talking about! ;)

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Yes - us. ABC would fund any legals so we all pay. I did read a report that suggested that as he was quoting a published report he would have some cover as its not his words. Don't know enough about legal stuff at that level to know if that is right.

Phil Egan being commissioned to write a report won't cover him. Its not a police or government department report you can reasonably assume to be true.

Phil Egan being commissioned to write a report won't cover him. Its not a police or government department report you can reasonably assume to be true.
It really seems the ABC legal team were either asleep, incompetent or not consulted before the article was published.

there aren’t any direct quotes from the review in the article. All the quotes are from the former players and their partners. There are some lines drawn between the allegations made in the article and those made in the review, but it’s not clear how what’s in the article and what’s in the review are different.

It really seems the ABC legal team were either asleep, incompetent or not consulted before the article was published.

Or in Sydney and don't understand footy and Melbourne etc ...

there aren’t any direct quotes from the review in the article. All the quotes are from the former players and their partners. There are some lines drawn between the allegations made in the article and those made in the review, but it’s not clear how what’s in the article and what’s in the review are different.
At a guess, the review differs from the players account because hawthorn had a chance to shape it before it was submitted to the afl.
It’s the offal way.

He has supposedly seen the report,
If he has a copy, that’s one thing.
Interviewed the players in question, that’s one source, if they’ve got corroborating evidence, emails/texts which he states in the article, and he is possession of those, I can see it being ticked off.
Only comes down to right of reply, he gave them 24hrs and they didn’t even acknowledge the story. If we’re going off what he said with Fagan he tried multiple ways of contact, both business and personal.
They’d let him run with it.

Last edited:
The issue is really an editorial one of how well the allegations were tested and whether sufficient balance was provided.
It’s not the lawyers job to ensure that journalists do journalism good.
The lawyers would be identifying the defamatory imputations and providing an assessment of the risks each carry, and suggesting mitigation strategies where necessary.

Not sure why you say this. Clearly Jackson has personally spoken to those involved and whilst he may have read the Egan report it is not his primary source. It is more likely that the stories have been corroborated by witnesses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back