Coach Alastair Clarkson III - new NMFC senior coach until at least end 2027 - NMFC board approved AC to start 1/11 amid ongoing HFC racism investigation

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone. One more post from me tonight.

Firstly, thanks for all the love. I've been obsessed by this club for a long time and somehow the events of the last years seem to have brought that to ever more intensity. This latest saga has me breathlessly following, desperate for that genuine 'turning corner' moment where we can see the team genuinely developing again and get on board for a ride that will have ups as well as downs. I know a lot you feel the same and it's cathartic to have a community of equivi-nuts out there. Wonderfully, my Portuguese wife is fully on board and immersed in the journey with me too: I even woke up to her beaming face to give me the original Clarko news.

I want to add another point to this whole discussion. I want to talk about my personal journey. My first serious post on this topic was this one. I was an instant believer in the allegations. Their detail, their emotion. They made me feel sick and I wanted no part of it. I had no knee-jerk denial or tribal defensiveness.

My second post was this one a few days later. I already had suspicions. Things didn't seem right, the report seemed incomplete, the article under-researched, the stories hard to reconcile with broader facts we knew. I detailed out the reasons my view had shifted and the uncertainties I saw.

My third post was this one, pointing out the holes in the process around the report and specifically the details we could now see around how 'yarning' and 'story-telling had morphed into hard accusations against individuals, the mess this makes and where it comes from.

My most recent post was this one, pulling apart the abc statement justifying the way it had reported around the issue.

When you look at the path of those posts, it's striking how they have gone from full-empathy for the victims to strong skepticism of the process and the outcomes. This has happened in parallel with my own (yes, speculative) impression that the complete stories are likely to be very different from the versions we were first told. I don't believe that skepticism comes from my deep wishes that Clarkson is cleared, I hope my first post is sufficient evidence of that.

And it makes me think that if this all falls over, if the media got it wrong, if the ex-players are incomplete in their story-telling, what a terrible result this is for indigenous Australia. There is enormous racism in Australia, casual and otherwise. There is enormous ignorance of diversity and multiculturalism. There are many people indigenous and non-indigenous around Australia suffering from this. It's hard.

And there are always those quick to defend power. Quick to say every accusation is made up. Quick to look for flaws in the accusers rather than wanting to fix systems of pain.

If this process, if this report-writer and this journalist, good intentioned or otherwise, if they create stories that fall apart and feed the narrative that racism is exaggerated, that complaints are self-interested, that media outrage is a commoditised fabrication, then they will have done a great disservice to the victims of discrimination and racism in this country.
hsquid absolutely knocking them out of the park!
Post more regularly please, you are a terrific read.

How long does North wait until they need a new coach ? Can they cancel the contract ? Eg Clarkson unable to fulfil his coaching obligations

Defund the ABC.

Sent from my CPH2197 using Tapatalk

quP9iH8xJRm4ywJFcx_tPtq5PAg=.gif
WfmiGlmpyaiqNI_LK80aLj_3eJU=.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oh boy. Here we go again
So it happened to others as well not just FN players or families?

"The majority of the former players contacted stressed that Clarkson saw himself as a father figure at the club who, while at times overstepping the mark in interfering in their personal lives, firmly believed he was prioritising the best interests of his footballers.

Several cited the example of Clarkson flying to the US unannounced to meet Lance Franklin at a time he was considering leaving Hawthorn, a move that backfired and disappointed Franklin. One player said Clarkson’s advice to avoid some family and friends had made him a better player."

How long does North wait until they need a new coach ? Can they cancel the contract ? Eg Clarkson unable to fulfil his coaching obligations
November 1

Looks like he's just a grumpy bloke who can coach blokes to play winning football. Probably doesn't let you put your elbows on the table while eating either.

So it happened to others as well not just FN players or families?

"The majority of the former players contacted stressed that Clarkson saw himself as a father figure at the club who, while at times overstepping the mark in interfering in their personal lives, firmly believed he was prioritising the best interests of his footballers.

Several cited the example of Clarkson flying to the US unannounced to meet Lance Franklin at a time he was considering leaving Hawthorn, a move that backfired and disappointed Franklin. One player said Clarkson’s advice to avoid some family and friends had made him a better player."
Rather than allowing the investigation to unfold & supporting due process, we have some media revelling in kicks for clicks.

Looks like he's just a grumpy bloke who can coach blokes to play winning football. Probably doesn't let you put your elbows on the table while eating either.
This.

An alternative headline for the article could easily be "Successful leader is a control freak who sets ridiculously high standards". Hardly newsworthy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back