Coach Alastair Clarkson III - new NMFC senior coach until at least end 2027 - NMFC board approved AC to start 1/11 amid ongoing HFC racism investigation

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry to quote myself because I know only campaigners do that, but it occurred to me that these programs will be super important in our comms when Clarko inevitably starts coaching us again.

"While Alastair refutes all allegations that he actively discriminated against First Nations players, he accepts that through ignorance he displayed a cultural insensitivity in his communications with some First Nations players.

Alastair and the rest of the staff will undertake additional training in our competition-leading cultural diversity program to ensure that this never happens again.

North Melbourne is proud of our strong connection with our past and current First Nations players and endeavour to lead Australian sport in the development and implementation of education programs with regards to First Nations and multicultural communities."

something like that. and it's not just an empty claim -- we lead Australian sport in this area

Got a litre corporate Australia in that.

Board member 1 - ‘We have been smacked about in media of late, especially with all the ‘ripping off of regular Australians’ we have been doing for the last 40 years. any suggestions’

Board member 2 - ‘We create a cultural diversity program. We could also create further programs around inclusion for minorities. Imagine the optics. We would win every community award (that we sponsor) and everyone will forget the robbing of the elderly.

Board member 3 - ‘we could also help many First Nations people and other minorities in the workplace with these programs’

Board member 2 - ‘well I wasn’t really thinking about it that way. But I suppose that could be a good thing as well’

It pissed me off when they called LT a cheat and Selwood clever. How racist do you have to be?
The TV commentators lined up to out-do each other with their vilification of Thomas. It was a classic pile on. And the terms that were used were transparent. Even the official AFL reporters joined in. Interestingly, not a single media organisation called it out and none have done so since.

Yep racism exists in our sport.

The hollow cries of virtue signalling can’t drown out this reality

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Problem is when virtue signallers get into the conversation they undermine efforts. Also If you see racism everywhere including where it doesn’t exist people are less likely to listen to you and take action for change.

Board member 1 - ‘We have been smacked about in media of late, especially with all the ‘ripping off of regular Australians’ we have been doing for the last 40 years. any suggestions’

Board member 2 - ‘We create a cultural diversity program. We could also create further programs around inclusion for minorities. Imagine the optics. We would win every community award (that we sponsor) and everyone will forget the robbing of the elderly.

Board member 3 - ‘we could also help many First Nations people and other minorities in the workplace with these programs’

Board member 2 - ‘well I wasn’t really thinking about it that way. But I suppose that could be a good thing as well’
I read that in Gil McLachlan's voice for one of the characters.

Yep racism exists in our sport.

The hollow cries of virtue signalling can’t drown out this reality

Racism exists in our society. Footy is a reflection of this state of affairs.

The little I've seen of the media pile on away from this tells me this particular case of "racism" doesn't matter much to the general population - people in and out of footy with agendas will happily use it.

Of course there is not too much new in this. People have used anti racism agendas for their own personal gain as well. How the likes of Jy, Tarryn (J3d if he's with us) respond to this situation will be most telling to me. I'm happy to trust their reaction in the coming months more than anything else.

Like a few people I was very disturbed by this story at first. It has overtones of racist eugenics. But the more that comes out about it the less that seems to be the issue.

Ultimately how footy as a whole responds is the real take away. If it's more of nothing, like what followed Goodes/LT's time, I won't be surprised.

On CPH2069 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Problem is when virtue signallers get into the conversation they undermine efforts. Also If you see racism everywhere including where it doesn’t exist people are less likely to listen to you and take action for change.

Virtue signalling is a hack phrase. Waving the flag is virtue signalling. anzac day is virtue signalling. It doesn’t mean much

Virtue signalling is a hack phrase. Waving the flag is virtue signalling. anzac day is virtue signalling. It doesn’t mean much

That’s not how it’s intended in a modern context.

Dude you pick and choose the meaning of things and motivation behind them to suit your agenda. You expect everyone else to consider your perspective but you bat away everyone else’s.

Been reading BF forums for a while, reading through this thread has finally driven me to bite the bullet and register. Probably going to cop some heat for coming in here on a fresh account with a hot take, but is what it is.

Some of the posts in here have been pretty disgusting. I get it. I desperately want these allegations to be a blow up so that Clarko can coach our team. I'm in my mid 20s, and the few weeks before this racism report dropped were the first time in living memory that I was genuinely excited for the future of our football club, and the first time in a few years I didn't get depressed just thinking about North.

Reading the ABC report when it came out felt like an absolute punch in the gut, and I've spent the last couple weeks following every statement and story that comes out of this in the hope something will exonerate him, as I'm sure a lot of us have.

That said, I don't think one man should come before the integrity of our club and us as a supporter base. Asking people to wait for the full story before getting the pitchforks out is ok. Distaste with the way this has all been played out in the media, with Caro et al desperately trying to dig up whatever mud they can find to fling at everyone involved is fine.

What's not fine is accusing the players and their partners, who have recounted genuinely traumatic experiences in their lives, of being liars, or doing exactly what we all hate Caro for doing and searching for some personal struggles that invalidate their stories and damage their reputation. That doesn't even include some of the more blatant racism that's getting thrown around in here.

Seeing things like some guy telling a (tragic) story about some s**t head kids who happened to be Indigenous get praised as gospel, as if this anecdote proves we just can't trust those scheming Indigenous blokes, is really disappointing, and not what I hoped to see from our supporters. We can argue that both sides need to be heard without resorting to that nonsense.

Last edited:
That’s not how it’s intended in a modern context.

Dude you pick and choose the meaning of things and motivation behind them to suit your agenda. You expect everyone else to consider your perspective but you bat away everyone else’s.

I’m very, very happy to bat away terms like woke and virtual signalling. They’re hack terms introduced by a part of society that doesn’t want these issues addressed.

I’m very, very happy to bat away terms like woke and virtual signalling. They’re hack terms introduced by a part of society that doesn’t want these issues addressed.

They aren't "hack terms", they're well defined as anything that makes me feel uncomfortable

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's being alleged that the assumed indigenous complainants were ice addicts at the time. I suppose that was Clarko's fault too.

Probably nothing...
Alleged by Ricky ******* Nixon of all people. If anything that makes it less likely.

Sorry to quote myself because I know only campaigners do that, but it occurred to me that these programs will be super important in our comms when Clarko inevitably starts coaching us again.

"While Alastair refutes all allegations that he actively discriminated against First Nations players, he accepts that through ignorance he displayed a cultural insensitivity in his communications with some First Nations players.

Alastair and the rest of the staff will undertake additional training in our competition-leading cultural diversity program to ensure that this never happens again.

North Melbourne is proud of our strong connection with our past and current First Nations players and endeavour to lead Australian sport in the development and implementation of education programs with regards to First Nations and multicultural communities."

something like that. and it's not just an empty claim -- we lead Australian sport in this area

Instead of saying it was just through ignorance say it was a result of a lack of official Indigenous resources at the Hawthorn.
1: * 'em
2: It's true. If he and a dozen other staff were ignorant or insensitive then it's because they weren't given the type of training and information you're talking about now, and I assume there was no Indigenous liaison of any sort back then.

Been reading BF forums for a while, reading through this thread has finally driven me to bite the bullet and register. Probably going to cop some heat for coming in here on a fresh account with a hot take, but is what it is.

Some of the posts in here have been pretty disgusting. I get it. I desperately want these allegations to be a blow up so that Clarko can coach our team. I'm in my mid 20s, and the few weeks before this racism report dropped were the first time in living memory that I was genuinely excited for the future of our football club, and the first time in a few years I didn't get depressed just thinking about North.

Reading the ABC report when it came out felt like an absolute punch in the gut, and I've spent the last couple weeks following every statement and story that comes out of this in the hope something will exonerate him, as I'm sure a lot of us have.

That said, I don't think one man should come before the integrity of our club and us as a supporter base. Asking people to wait for the full story before getting the pitchforks out is ok. Distaste with the way this has all been played out in the media, with Caro et al desperately trying to dig up whatever mud they can find to fling at everyone involved is fine.

What's not fine is accusing the players and their partners, who have recounted genuinely traumatic experiences in their lives, of being liars, or doing exactly what we all hate Caro for doing and searching for some personal struggles that invalidate their stories and damage their reputation. That doesn't even include some of the more blatant racism that's getting thrown around in here.

Seeing things like some guy telling a (tragic) story about some s**t head kids who happened to be Indigenous get praised as gospel, as if this anecdote proves we just can't trust those scheming Indigenous blokes, is really disappointing, and not what I hoped to see from our supporters. We can argue that both sides need to be heard without resorting to that nonsense.
Pin to the top of the thread.

haha yeah. i guess the difference is that we don't pay lip service to it. it's real and we're dedicated to being leaders in that area

Alleged by Ricky ******* Nixon of all people. If anything that makes it less likely.

Instead of saying it was just through ignorance say it was a result of a lack of official Indigenous resources at the Hawthorn.
1: * 'em
2: It's true. If he and a dozen other staff were ignorant or insensitive then it's because they weren't given the type of training and information you're talking about now, and I assume there was no Indigenous liaison of any sort back then.
I doubt we'd outright dunk on another club like that, but sure, you could massage the words themselves to imply it

mine was just a 2 minute example of the type of thing I can see happening in the comms and in relation to our own diversity programs

Racism exists in our society. Footy is a reflection of this state of affairs.

The little I've seen of the media pile on away from this tells me this particular case of "racism" doesn't matter much to the general population - people in and out of footy with agendas will happily use it.

Of course there is not too much new in this. People have used anti racism agendas for their own personal gain as well. How the likes of Jy, Tarryn (J3d if he's with us) respond to this situation will be most telling to me. I'm happy to trust their reaction in the coming months more than anything else.

Like a few people I was very disturbed by this story at first. It has overtones of racist eugenics. But the more that comes out about it the less that seems to be the issue.

Ultimately how footy as a whole responds is the real take away. If it's more of nothing, like what followed Goodes/LT's time, I won't be surprised.

On CPH2069 using BigFooty.com mobile app
There will be change, I have no doubt.

The paralysis of the AFL over the last couple weeks is basically an admission that they haven't got a clue how to handle situations like this. And there will be plenty of clubs with similar stories, so we'll need an organisational response.

I'm still a bit curious about the "It’s understood Hawthorn’s review, authored by Phil Egan, was not among the documents that have already been handed over to WorkSafe Victoria."

What's that about? Do they have a dosier of pre-existing concerns about bad management practices led by Clarkson, over and above other AFL teams?

Look, tough love is one thing, but if it turns out clarko is just a complete arse then I really don't want him at the club.

Yeah much better we have a powder puff like Brad Scott get us to sixth on a good year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back