Coach Alastair Clarkson - NMFC Senior Coach - Coaching & Football Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

I just want to know how?

Skills can’t improve that much over a summer
Structure, confidence, safety to make mistakes.

It's so much easier to hit someone on the tit when they're leading at you into a dangerous spot than it is to be running full tilt and look up and see the backs of your mates ahead of you.

Very few blokes who get drafted these days are poorly skilled. Environment can make them seem so.

If your happy and you know it clap your hands....
Happy T-Rex GIF by Gigantosaurus

As much as I liked those short and medium kicks to set up, I was puckered up something chronic when we were doing them in the back half. Vietnam War style flashbacks with Atley and Jmac starring.
Helps when you got guys down there who can actually kick. Sheez and Miller have wonderful skills, Jack is an excellent kick when he has time and space, Griff is decent for a big man, and most of the mids who push down there are actually good kicks too. Obviously, it's different when you're under pressure but the way Clarko's got us playing is very deliberate and considered and designed to minimise those rushed, pressured kicks.

It's actually great to watch slightly further up the ground when we have the ball. There's constant movement with players always looking for those little gaps on the 45, which are the easiest kicks to hit. Tom Powell in particular is excellent at exploiting this space. It's such a refreshing change from the stagnant, turgid garbage we saw last year

Structure, confidence, safety to make mistakes.

It's so much easier to hit someone on the tit when they're leading at you into a dangerous spot than it is to be running full tilt and look up and see the backs of your mates ahead of you.

Very few blokes who get drafted these days are poorly skilled. Environment can make them seem so.
Sure, I understand but some of those kicks Ziebell hit yesterday were simply fantastic, last year he would’ve missed someone open by ten meters.
It’s simply night and day to what we’ve seen over the last decade.

I just hope the guys continue to improve cause somethings building.

Well when he was first appointed I was looking forward to observing how we were setting up behind the ball, at the stoppage, in the middle and (our biggest weakness last season) our scoring. Not only are we scoring without having to work our bums to get it there, but we're getting repeat shots on goal. We're putting teams on the backfoot and punishing them. A HUGE positive.

We're blocking easy exits for longer periods, pressuring the ball carrier without getting sucked into the contest, using the ball better and better every week and Larkey has kicked 10 straight licking his lips at the fact Comben is killing blokes whilst the ball is coming in quicker than ever.

When we played Freo last year, they kicked 5 in the first quarter with very little resistance. Last night, they couldn't even get a goal until late in the first. How incredible is that?

There's just so much belief and confidence in us that it's pretty difficult to adjust expectations based on the last two weeks. Sure, there are still things to work on but we still have a few young guns like Wardlaw, George, Drury, Cooper, CCJ etc. to show us what they are capable of. There's so much upside without even tapping into the next few drafts.

Trying so hard to not get ahead of myself but we're definitely on the right track and as our young mids continue to develop rapidly, I don't think we will have to be as patient as we have been to see improvement. Motivation and hunger to play for your footy club is what fast forwards progress. It's infectious and we love it.

Two consecutive hot games against teams suited to those conditions and we've beaten both. Sensational.

When we played Freo last year, they kicked 5 in the first quarter with very little resistance. Last night, they couldn't even get a goal until late in the first. How incredible is that?

There's just so much belief and confidence in us that it's pretty difficult to adjust expectations based on the last two weeks. Sure, there are still things to work on but we still have a few young guns like Wardlaw, George, Drury, Cooper, CCJ etc. to show us what they are capable of. There's so much upside without even tapping into the next few drafts.

I don't disagree, thought I'd have a look at the side that lost to Freo 102 to 24 last season.

1. Young
  2. Thomas
  3. Perez
  4. JHF
  5. Anderson
  6. McKay
  7. CCJ
  8. Atu B
  9. Walker
  10. Mahony

Not that many I've just listed that would walk into our current side or you feel would have a long-term future. I will resist using the term shitmen as some find it offensive, some that find it offensive that I couldn't care about, but it's those posters I rate that find it offensive that I'm considering.

As good as al clarko and the new sexy coaching crew are, do not lose sight of the harsh reality that that side was filled to the gills with players that I feel may well not be quite up to the lofty standards of consistent quality AFL-level football.

Maybe if they were spread our over about 8 clubs they could individually have carved out a career, but not ever on the same side.

oh this post is for the masses, not necessarily for you, just thought it was an opportunity to look back a bit

I don't disagree, thought I'd have a look at the side that lost to Freo 102 to 24 last season.

1. Young
  2. Thomas
  3. Perez
  4. JHF
  5. Anderson
  6. McKay
  7. CCJ
  8. Atu B
  9. Walker
  10. Mahony

Not that many I've just listed that would walk into our current side or you feel would have a long-term future. I will resist using the term shitmen as some find it offensive, some that find it offensive that I couldn't care about, but it's those posters I rate that find it offensive that I'm considering.

As good as al clarko and the new sexy coaching crew are, do not lose sight of the harsh reality that that side was filled to the gills with players that I feel may well not be quite up to the lofty standards of consistent quality AFL-level football.

Maybe if they were spread our over about 8 clubs they could individually have carved out a career, but not ever on the same side.

oh this post is for the masses, not necessarily for you, just thought it was an opportunity to look back a bit
Of that list McKay would be in for sure.

On ability Thomas should be. But it doesn't seem he has much interest. If Jason showed any intent when the ball out of reach he'd be an asset as well. But he doesn't.

That's probably it.

Greenwood is like having 2 Jed's stacked on top of each other.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

Of that list McKay would be in for sure.

On ability Thomas should be. But it doesn't seem he has much interest. If Jason showed any intent when the ball out of reach he'd be an asset as well. But he doesn't.

That's probably it.

Greenwood is like having 2 Jed's stacked on top of each other.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

Yep Micky three of them is 100% correct.
How good is Greenwood, he makes me lol.

Oh I'm slashed my sixteen to around six for the nasty season end business FY&I.
Amazing what buy-in plus a solid coaching crew can do

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How good is it to:
  • have a kick-out strategy
  • have players that can hit targets with their kicks
  • not dread watching each match
  • *ing WIN!

Its just been a pleasure the last couple of weeks to watch a competent, well-drilled North Melbourne side. The wins are just a bonus!!

1. Young
  2. Thomas
  3. Perez
  4. JHF
  5. Anderson
  6. McKay
  7. CCJ
  8. Atu B
  9. Walker
  10. Mahony

Agree TAO. We didn't really have the most flash back 6 all things considered.

We were also forced to use Walker as a forward in Combens absence that we just lamented knowing it was going to be ineffective.

For me though, there's clearly been a lift in intensity across the board and everyone seems to be buying into how Clarkson wants us to play.

I didn't see the same buy-in last year at all and we only saw it in patches during 2021. There's been a shift in mindset and when LDU was interviewed after the win against Freo he mentioned 'we've got another challenge against the Hawks and we're just going to keep doing what we're doing...' at no point did he say 'hopefully we can bring that effort again'.

The expectations have shifted.

Agree TAO. We didn't really have the most flash back 6 all things considered.

We were also forced to use Walker as a forward in Combens absence that we just lamented knowing it was going to be ineffective.

For me though, there's clearly been a lift in intensity across the board and everyone seems to be buying into how Clarkson wants us to play.

I didn't see the same buy-in last year at all and we only saw it in patches during 2021. There's been a shift in mindset and when LDU was interviewed after the win against Freo he mentioned 'we've got another challenge against the Hawks and we're just going to keep doing what we're doing...' at no point did he say 'hopefully we can bring that effort again'.

The expectations have shifted.

Yes that much is very true, the players have a belief, Bucks was saying that on the wireless. We're like the Pies last year. Two narrow wins teach you much more than two easy wins.
As * will find out shortly.
I am really enjoying this year and that won't change even if the results don't go our way.

Really looking forward to Tucker, Gorgeous George & Phillips getting a crack at it. Not sure who comes out though?
Oh and McKay, but he's the interesting one. Can he work with Logue, he couldn't against the Dogs and he couldn't with Tarrant.

As much as I liked those short and medium kicks to set up, I was puckered up something chronic when we were doing them in the back half. Vietnam War style flashbacks with Atley and Jmac starring.
No more turnstiles. he’s obviously given them a message about being difficult to play against, our tackling efficacy has gone through the roof.

I think the thing for me that stands out is we’ve played slightly tweaked versions of what is our new game style against different opposition. opposition are being scouted well, then our blokes are retaining information and going out and somewhat executing.

Clarko said we aren’t playing a great game style yet and I reckon if we’d been able to transition a little bit quicker into the forward half, he would have been happier. But * I’m glad he’s not resting on his laurels and is continuing to push us.

Can’t wait to see us and how we want to play this week. He’s finally bought us back some faith week to week!

I just want to know how?

Skills can’t improve that much over a summer

If you go back and watch our game vs Essendon at in 2020 at Carrara, we controlled the footy in a similar way for much of the first half and it was surprising that we had seemingly learned how to kick in a single week. This was our first game up in the GC Hub and spirits were still high at that point.

90% of AFL players can hit a target under 30 metres, even ours in 2020. I think the difference is clarity in game plan and movement upfield that makes it easier to put a ball into space for someone to take a high percentage mark out in front. As soon as the first mark is taken, the opposition is on the back foot trying to defend the next one. If the first kick is lace out and the marker can find a target immediately, then we march down forward at high speed which is very hard to defend.

The gameplan and coaching are key though, because in the case of a poor coach there is no clarity, no adherence and there are simply so many things that go wrong during a game that it makes it hard to highlight all of the key errors. It becomes an overwhelming review post-game and we end up with late-Brad Scott era 3 hour lectures on every single mistake which hurts the morale amongst the team and coaches. Not sure if Noble was similar in his approach to the reviews, but it seems like the overall feeling at the club was that his criticism was harsh and not constructive.

Last edited:
We said it when Clarkson took the gig, these boy were going to live and die by their kicking, and it was going to be a big focus.

Now I don't know if its true that they worked harder on it, or were given new skill KPIs and training, but its certainly true that almost to a man they are better at it.

Ben Dixon on the first crack said North to win a flag in 5 years. Clarkson did the same at Hawthorn , gradually builds the game plan, sees similar at North

Remove this Banner Ad

Back