Certified Legendary Thread Alastair Clarksons.

Alistair to North in 2023?

• Yes

Votes: 257 77.4%
  • No

Votes: 75 22.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does this happen in any other sport in the world?..

(not that Im a fan) but what would be the feedback if the Formula 1 said to a driver who has been in the system for over 5 years and continuously finishes in the bottom part of the field “hey buddy we feel sorry for you, from next year you can use an engine from Ferrari and everyone else has to use an engine from Holden..”
Mate, Caro would have been killed a decade ago in basically any other country.

England, Scotland, France, Spain, Germany etc she might have survived but she would be unemployable and a recluse after having her car firebombed, her workplace destroyed, her friends would want nothing to do with her.

In South America, she’s be dead. Her kids would have been held for ransom, her Husband would have left, no bank would want her business. She’d be a pariah. Hitler would be more popular than a female journo calling for the end of peoples Football Club.

Clarko is a mate of Ratten. No way he takes the St Kilda job.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
And the Saints heiracy are saying that they are staying with Ratten. If they change their mind there will be no way that Clarkson will go there because he wont like what they would do with Ratten.. Rutten has 1 more year to go so maybe he's out also which leave GWS and North. If Clarkson wants to stay in Vic then he's ours and dont forget he is very much Family committed and will not move the whole family if they dont want to go..

And the Saints heiracy are saying that they are staying with Ratten. If they change their mind there will be no way that Clarkson will go there because he wont like what they would do with Ratten.. Rutten has 1 more year to go so maybe he's out also which leave GWS and North. If Clarkson wants to stay in Vic then he's ours and dont forget he is very much Family committed and will not move the whole family if they dont want to go..
Yes, but we have to tread very carefully with David Noble too, and create the opportunity for a dignified exit. Otherwise, why would Alistair want to take on the North Melbourne gig? What works against the Saints can also work against us. ;)

I loathe to post random Twitter accounts as sources but this guy has got plenty of things right before.

View attachment 1434958
I think he’s also the guy who was sure Adam Simpson would be appointed coach by the end of the week (a couple of month’s ago…)

Sorry for the naive question, but can someone clarify something for me on this issue Caro raised about how expensive Clarkson would be?

In particular I’m puzzled by this notion that there could be a coach that only some clubs could afford

I would have thought that there can’t be that much variation between senior coaches salaries - anymore than a couple hundred thousand dollars a year at the most - since it comes under the soft cap.

Sure, a senior coach could elect to have one less assistant coach, maybe that nets them another $150k?

Or alternatively, if a rich club said bugger it lets exceed the soft cap to pay for someone like Clarkson, every extra dollar they spend outside the cap would be taxed at 200%. Which would be hard to justify to your financial committee, you’d have to imagine?

And the soft cap, as I understand it, was designed with the budgets of clubs like ours and st kilda in mind. So it’s not like we should be spending drastically less than the soft cap allows.

So while variations in coach salaries would have undoubtedly been a big thing in the past… can you really say that Clarkson and Noble would command wildly different salaries - more than $200k per year or so - today?

I loathe to post random Twitter accounts as sources but this guy has got plenty of things right before.

View attachment 1434958

Just on that tweet - in the replies, someone posted the following snippet of Clarko talking about North recently - "If you say to yourself 'would you coach north' - yeh"

This is amongst him talking up the talent - but the critical thing required is alignment across the Board and footy admin. It is suggestive of that 'SamFarfoud' tweet potentially having something more to it...

I think he’s also the guy who was sure Adam Simpson would be appointed coach by the end of the week (a couple of month’s ago…)
Correct.

But until Clarko doesn't come to us, he's coming! We should probably frame this the other way around, but I just love being hurt!

This is how the Clarko comes.

AC: Hey David I really want to coach North but I'm not coming unless you are head of football
DN: Ah yeah OK, this coaching thing sucks balls
AC: I think the list is ok and i"ll bring Jiath and a coupleo others to fill the holes
DN: You can do that?
AC: Yes mate, I'm Clarko
DN: I thought you hated Armafio?
AC: Hate is strong word. Lets just say I respect his decision to leave on his own accord
DN: You really want me as head of football or are you just saying that so you dont look like a prick?
AC: I'm just saying it so I dont look like a prick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

View attachment 1434958
I really don't think Clarko would be saying anything like that even privately, as he's pretty circumspect in anything he says so as not to appear presumptuous, arrogant, or worse. Look at his statements from yesterday. He brought up the Collingwood and Carlton approaches which he was very careful to say were not job offers, but invitations to participate in the interview process. Bullshit. Either club would have signed him in a heartbeat. But he didn't want that to be a headline story. There's no way he'd be foolish enough to appear as though he is demanding influence over the executive staffing of a club. That would not make him look good and would not be welcomed by any club.

Sorry for the naive question, but can someone clarify something for me on this issue Caro raised about how expensive Clarkson would be?

In particular I’m puzzled by this notion that there could be a coach that only some clubs could afford

I would have thought that there can’t be that much variation between senior coaches salaries - anymore than a couple hundred thousand dollars a year at the most - since it comes under the soft cap.

Sure, a senior coach could elect to have one less assistant coach, maybe that nets them another $150k?

Or alternatively, if a rich club said bugger it lets exceed the soft cap to pay for someone like Clarkson, every extra dollar they spend outside the cap would be taxed at 200%. Which would be hard to justify to your financial committee, you’d have to imagine?

And the soft cap, as I understand it, was designed with the budgets of clubs like ours and st kilda in mind. So it’s not like we should be spending drastically less than the soft cap allows.

So while variations in coach salaries would have undoubtedly been a big thing in the past… can you really say that Clarkson and Noble would command wildly different salaries - more than $200k per year or so - today?

Your post is largely correct although I think head coach salaries could still vary significantly. The soft cap remains the biggest factor and it comes down to club choices about whether they spend their money on coaches or personal hyperbaric chambers for every player to sleep in.

When Caro says North can't afford someone like Clarko, she is living in 2003 when we would have paid Laidley half what Pagan got to go to Carlton.

I really don't think Clarko would be saying anything like that even privately, as he's pretty circumspect in anything he says so as not to appear presumptuous, arrogant, or worse. Look at his statements from yesterday. He brought up the Collingwood and Carlton approaches which he was very careful to say were not job offers, but invitations to participate in the interview process. Bullshit. Either club would have signed him in a heartbeat. But he didn't want that to be a headline story. There's no way he'd be foolish enough to appear as though he is demanding influence over the executive staffing of a club. That would not make him look good and would not be welcomed by any club.

A 4x premiership coach certainly doesn’t interview.

Kennedy told a story about being approached by Collingwood with what he thought was a job offer. When it became apparent he was going to be interviewed, the meeting didn’t last long.

Kennedy told a story about being approached by Collingwood with what he thought was a job offer. When it became apparent he was going to be interviewed, the meeting didn’t last long.
Sounds like every job Ross Lyon has gone for recently!

Mate, Caro would have been killed a decade ago in basically any other country.

England, Scotland, France, Spain, Germany etc she might have survived but she would be unemployable and a recluse after having her car firebombed, her workplace destroyed, her friends would want nothing to do with her.

In South America, she’s be dead. Her kids would have been held for ransom, her Husband would have left, no bank would want her business. She’d be a pariah. Hitler would be more popular than a female journo calling for the end of peoples Football Club.
She's our Maggie Thatcher

Any tweet which ends in a question mark can be answered by the word "no."

If it was true, he would have just said so.
He did post in a similar manner re: the JHF adelaide trip

100% correct!!!!

Started his career under Kennedy who is a revered figure at both Hawthorn and North.

If he were to return and make a good go of it he’d end up being seen in a similar light to someone he clearly has great admiration for - perhaps an interesting selling point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back