Alberton Footy League - 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Alberton Footy League

From Yarrams website

Off field, Peter Jenkins and Anthony Rodaughan will lead the club with a dual presidency role. With both individuals having extensive football and football management experience the club is in good hands and will be an exciting place to be in the upcoming season.

Heard a whisper from someone connected with the club players not happy with new coach

where oh where has Mr Paul Clavarino gone ????

My apologies regarding the presidency. A changing of the guard occurs over summer, but generally it can take a while for the news of change to filter through to all supporters.

These are changing times in the Alberton League. Historically, it is has been subject to constant change with teams coming, going, merging and to-and-froing.

Teams at each end of the league will always feel hard done by with travel requirements. Yarram and Allies because they were in the league when it first formed, Killy Bass and Phillip Island because they were forced into the league.

Which poses a question. Does the Alberton Football League need a divorce? Split things down the middle. East gets to keep the name, West takes the exisitng president (they usually from down that end anyway, no?) and we all go our separate ways. Teams in the middle can choose which way they want to go but unfortunately there wont be any weekend visits.

A yearly grudge match could take place between the two leagues, no need to add any more fuel to that fire.

This is just a thought. No need to jump on board, or get the knives out. Feel free to add suggestions of how the league can become better and more enjoyable. I believe that is what these forums are for!

Not a bad idea at least the sides would play each other twice in a season maybe the sides in the middle could rotate on a yearly basis from east to west if they want to. A interleague match would be great and a good fundraiser with all money divided between all clubs for ground improvements.
Also we would have 2 finals series which would mean more income for the league and more catering chances for clubs.

It maybe easier to attract clubs to the league with a east/west comp
Woodside may return and a Poowong,Nyora or Lang Lang might move over.
The biggest hurdle will be the VCFL who's past record shows they lack the balls to make the tough calls.

Look any changes could be trailed for a season or two if it doesn't work change it back.
If someone else has better ideas, post them the more the better

Not a bad idea at least the sides would play each other twice in a season maybe the sides in the middle could rotate on a yearly basis from east to west if they want to. A interleague match would be great and a good fundraiser with all money divided between all clubs for ground improvements.
Also we would have 2 finals series which would mean more income for the league and more catering chances for clubs.

It maybe easier to attract clubs to the league with a east/west comp
Woodside may return and a Poowong,Nyora or Lang Lang might move over.
The biggest hurdle will be the VCFL who's past record shows they lack the balls to make the tough calls.

Look any changes could be trailed for a season or two if it doesn't work change it back.
If someone else has better ideas, post them the more the better

Nyora, Poowong and Lang Lang will never change leagues. Why would we ever leave a league where any team can win a flag with a bit of luck, no travel, dont have to go to yarram to play, closer to melbourne. Makes no sense in the world to leave.

Nyora, Poowong and Lang Lang will never change leagues. Why would we ever leave a league where any team can win a flag with a bit of luck, no travel, dont have to go to yarram to play, closer to melbourne. Makes no sense in the world to leave.

Thanks for the reply if you read the post there would be and an East West split of the league a team in the west would never travel to Yarram, Woodside etc.
I dont quite know what you mean about winning a flags.
What makes Ellinbank different to other Leagues

Here's a suggested solution i posted about a 18 months ago. Haven't heard much since. The Gippsland League has gone ahead and introduced the 2 new clubs as anticipated. I wonder if we'll ever get total agreement on a district restructure. In a Utopian world, this all looks pretty cut and dried to me:

Ok Guys,
i'll have a go.
3 Leagues -
First league - West Gippsland - Cockatoo Gembrook, Garfield, Bunyip, Longwarry, NNS, NNG, Ellinbank, Buln Buln, Dusties, ND

Reasoning - Silvan just got accepted into the EFL leaving YVMDL with an uneven number in their first div. Gembrook is 17km from the Princes Hwy. All teams all not far off the Princes Hwy

Second League - South West Gippsland - Tooradin, Nyora, Poowong, Catani, Cora Lynn, KWR, LL, KB, PI, Dalyston.

Reasoning - All not too far from Sth Gippy/ Bass Hwy, stopping at Wonthaggi. 11 teams in the CCFL, Taking Tooradin out would eliminate Bye.

Third League - South Gippsland - IK, Korumburra, Tarwin, MDU, Stony, Fishy, Toora, Allies, Foster, Yarram.

Reasoning - All these guys are happy to play each other. Basically follows Sth Gippy Hwy from Burra to Yarram, Tarwin and Invy 20 min off it.

This leaves Wonthaggi and Bairnsdale to come into the Gippsland major football league, playing their home and away games against each other in the valley thus providing an avenue for players to play at a high standard and represent their region in Gippsland.

All byes eliminated, no mergers, no big travel (apart from the clubs & populations who are willing to), will probably never happen.

It was Yarram's co Presidented who wants to go it came from within your club....

Panthercat are you able maybe to scan and upload the article from the Sentinal Times, if you still have it please? I'm kinda interested to read what Rodders has said.

regalmaster and Thierry Bugle - since you're both connected to YFC, have either of you heard about Yarram wanting out of the current league, as apparently reported in this article? And can either of you shed any light on the validity of it?

Here's a suggested solution i posted about a 18 months ago............

I quite like your suggestion. The travel is a big killer for getting junior players involved in the club, as it relies on the parents being able to get their kids to the grounds early in the morning. Cut down the distance and more parents will give consideration to their kids playing, which can only be good for the clubs.

Here's a suggested solution i posted about a 18 months ago. Haven't heard much since. The Gippsland League has gone ahead and introduced the 2 new clubs as anticipated. I wonder if we'll ever get total agreement on a district restructure. In a Utopian world, this all looks pretty cut and dried to me:

Ok Guys,
i'll have a go.
3 Leagues -
First league - West Gippsland - Cockatoo Gembrook, Garfield, Bunyip, Longwarry, NNS, NNG, Ellinbank, Buln Buln, Dusties, ND

Reasoning - Silvan just got accepted into the EFL leaving YVMDL with an uneven number in their first div. Gembrook is 17km from the Princes Hwy. All teams all not far off the Princes Hwy

Second League - South West Gippsland - Tooradin, Nyora, Poowong, Catani, Cora Lynn, KWR, LL, KB, PI, Dalyston.

Reasoning - All not too far from Sth Gippy/ Bass Hwy, stopping at Wonthaggi. 11 teams in the CCFL, Taking Tooradin out would eliminate Bye.

Third League - South Gippsland - IK, Korumburra, Tarwin, MDU, Stony, Fishy, Toora, Allies, Foster, Yarram.

Reasoning - All these guys are happy to play each other. Basically follows Sth Gippy Hwy from Burra to Yarram, Tarwin and Invy 20 min off it.

This leaves Wonthaggi and Bairnsdale to come into the Gippsland major football league, playing their home and away games against each other in the valley thus providing an avenue for players to play at a high standard and represent their region in Gippsland.

All byes eliminated, no mergers, no big travel (apart from the clubs & populations who are willing to), will probably never happen.
Very impressive well thought out I think this could work.
The vcfl need to take control and tell clubs this is the way it will be. Review after 2 years, Rather than clubs with their own self interest's making decisions which is are not in the best interest football overall.
One definite objection will be the east clubs in Alberton playing Korumburra as they do not want them in the league now as they think they are to strong.

Panthercat are you able maybe to scan and upload the article from the Sentinal Times, if you still have it please? I'm kinda interested to read what Rodders has said.

I looked everywhere think the wife has thrown it out I would give the Sentinal Times a call for a copy

pc, hows bass's ground looking now. Haven't seen it since the council took over.

pc, hows bass's ground looking now. Haven't seen it since the council took over.

The Bass ground is looking great the shire are doing a top job they say that it will be as good as P.I. and Wonthaggi's in 3 years time.
We will see how it goes over the winter

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very impressive well thought out I think this could work.
The vcfl need to take control and tell clubs this is the way it will be. Review after 2 years, Rather than clubs with their own self interest's making decisions which is are not in the best interest football overall.
One definite objection will be the east clubs in Alberton playing Korumburra as they do not want them in the league now as they think they are to strong.

this is exactly what people get angry about, the east clubs whinging about a club being too 'strong'. first wonthaggi, and now they are trying to get rid of k-bena and pi, because they are apparently too good. correct me if im wrong but dwwww, yarram, foster and fish creek have all won flags in the timeframe since both k-bena and pi won their last flag. how does this argument have any merit? success is based on premierships so how can a team be too strong for a league if they havent wont premierships??? and even with wonthaggi, they were so dominant that it was over the top, leagues everywhere have teams that are good, there is a team in horsham that has won like 8 flags in a row. people really need to think about the whole picture and quit being sooks and just play footy

As an Allies member, i can say that i have not heard anyone saying they want Burra out. ( yes heard all the whispers ) If we were down that way i wouldn't be too rapt at our juniors heading over there for a game but their strong juniors aren't translating to super strong senior grades and even if it did we would have to lift our game..I want them to stay in as it is the only away game i don't feel guilty about having to leave straight after the game.. pretty unwelcoming place..

Seriously Kor-Bena to good? rubbish! they have had very strong 3rds team but have only won one final in the seniors since the merger of KOrumburra and Bena 10 years ago! Same goes with Phillip Island. foster lost two games last season, they should be concerned about their eastern neighours geting their knickers in a knot over that!

Watch for Mitch Golby playing his first senior game for Brisbane friday night another Bass player doing good.
We hope this is the start of a long AFL career.

Any thoughts on the ladder for 2011?
Here's my thoughts top 5
Phillip Island
Foster
Stony Creek
Fish Creek
Tarwin

6th spot will be up for grabs from
Dalyston
Korummburra
Kilcunda-Bass
Meeniyan

Then we have
Toora
Allies
Yarram
Inverloch

If Fishy fire could finish in the top 2 don't need much to add to thier players list to be the side to beat this year

my top 6 is

foster
fish creek
kilcunda bass
stoney creek
phillip island
burra

fish creek and bass the big movers both a picked up some quality players seen bass play the other night and they smashed koo wee rup looked very good.Also with island loosing there 2 best players stoney loosing a few could bring them back into the pack

is there any ex afl players listed or rookies playing in your comp in 2011?

I'm new to the area but i've heard former collingwood and west coast journeyman damien adkins may be playing for a club in the alberton league? im not aware of many others

can someone tell me which club marcus wilson is playing for in this leaue? i've heard his name a couple of times and that he's a bit of a jet kicking 100 goals twice in two years in the southern footy league and that hes gone down to the alberton area not really sure where though

are the rumours true tht albert russell has returned home to dalyston and left tarwin with a forward line thats got a bad back?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back