Alberton Footy League - 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

This is interesting. So who are you Adrian Collins?
Considering you have a Mines Rovers profile pic, but we can't seem to find any side you've played for here in the Goldfields.
What are you worried about checking clearances and stalking players for? Don't worry about our recruits here at Kambalda.
If you want to know a bit more, come along to Digger Daws Oval on April 11 and see for yourself.

Lol. Cats out of the bag aye Sarge. As if I'm going to reveal who I am to you. Big Twoms reckons you'd eat me!!

You don't miss much though. Were you trolling big footy looking up your own star recruit? Lol

Just curious up here big fella. Kambalda were happy to announce James Murray and Daniel Murray and Bootsma and everyone else you recruited, so how come you've not jumped up and down with Kale Bergles who from what I have read, is probably the best of the lot???

No harm intended. We'll all soon see by sounds of it. Wish you the best for the season Moose and by sounds of it, it's gonna be a fantastic year for all clubs.

I know it's been discussed above but it seems Nyora and Poowong are in the long years and seem to head across to the AFL.
If it went to 14 teams, make it a top 8 so more sides are involved and more finals $$$ for the league :p

So whose going to be the side that can match it with Daly this year?

looking at the results so far not sure if anyone can match it with Daly, watched them against killy bass and they looked far too good. game was all over 5min into 2nd quarter. Kraska has had a good start 24 after 2 is good going. All that talk was island are the ones who can take it to daly but first round result for P.I was a bit of a shock.

The Alberton Football League should not bring these clubs into the league. There are a number of reasons for this.

The movement of clubs through this league has created amounts of instability within the league. In the last decade the league has experienced:

· The addition of Phillip Island and Kilcunda-Bass - 2005
· Wonthaggi Rovers and Blues to form Wonthaggi Power - 2005
· Woodside disband from DWWWW – 2008
· Wonthaggi Power leave and enter the Gippsland League - 2010
· Yarram depart after a long history in Alberton to enter the North Gippsland League - 2013
· DWWWW sit out for a season as well as at time struggling to field reserves or junior teams - 2014

There is an obvious imbalance both for the on-field and off-field capabilities between the east and west clubs. To add Nyora and Poowong would only further add to this imbalance. Western end clubs are in much closer proximity to larger population bases and have the ability to recruit easier from Melbourne’s suburbs. It is no secret that clubs in more remote locations such as DWWWW and Toora can struggle to recruit with travel being a major inhibiting factor.

Poor governance from the league has done nothing to protect the integrity of the league by limiting abilities of all clubs in the way of recruitment. The implementation of the player points system would ensure a more level playing field clubs fielding sides. This system is already in place in the Mid Gippsland and Gippsland Football. This would limit club’s abilities to simply ‘buy’ premierships... I’m looking at you Kilcunda-Bass.

In the 2013 grand final Korumburra-Bena featured all four of their football teams. This demonstrates my point in relation to the difference in strength between teams. Do not interpret this as a negative attack towards Korumburra-Bena, they are entitled to achieve success. This is directed at the league. The league is accountable to maintaining a competition that limits the ability for one club to grow too big for the competition. The have a league with one or two clubs blowing other clubs out of the water each week carries little interest. Such a situation could be reminiscent of the Wonthaggi Power days.

**Hypothetically Speaking

If this were to happen why would it be beneficial for the league to introduce a top eight finals system? The league operated with fourteen teams previously with only a top six. A top eight system in a fourteen team league rewards mediocre teams for literally performing below average compared to the rest of the league. For a different perspective imagine if the current Australian Football League had a top ten instead of a top eight. It makes it too easy for teams to achieve something that is supposed to be difficult.

If the sole purpose of a top eight, as you stated, is to provide extra games and therefore extra dollars then it would’ve been done for the wrong reasons. Any such major changes should be done so to be of benefit to the league and the clubs which compete.
The Alberton Football league remains as a minor level country football league. The clubs and league itself have certain limitations for the ability to conduct such a finals series, especially in the first week when there would four different sets of finals.

To make my point that much clearer imagine the following scenario:

As a result of there being four finals two have been scheduled on a Saturday and the other two have been scheduled on a Sunday. The Saturday finals are scheduled at Foster and Cowes respectively.
Stony Creek have their thirds team in the final at foster and their reserves playing at Cowes.

This situation for example could create a number of issues for the club. The may have limited numbers of trainers or equipment available. What if the one of the reserve players also happens to coach the thirds as well? What happens in this situation that would be fair to all parties?
Given the hit and miss record of the League when it comes to finals (i.e. ground selection, facilities, catering and scheduling), I have limited faith in the ability of the league to manage and administrate such a hypothetical situation.
The could be other scheduling options available here in the way of night games, but only a couple of venues have this ability anyway.

In regards to the claim you made that a top eight finals system would generate additional income. I am apprehensive as to whether this could be of enough significance to be worthwhile. Will general footy supporters be inclined to turn up to games that whilst being a final will only be of mediocre quality? Would they want to spend more money to attend multiple games across a weekend? I doubt it. People do have other priorities outside of football.

The Alberton Football League has a number of issues it needs to deal with internally with its existing clubs, policies and structure to ensure their longevity as well as the ongoing fairness and integrity of the league as whole. This should all occur prior to any possible expansions.
Simply adding clubs in my view is irresponsible as it has a high probability of only creating further problems in relation to the instability of the league and the clubs within it.

The original post was brief, but made me think.
I look forward to the debate and conversation that follows. This thread I feel has lacked any robust and constructive discussion in recent times.
Keep it civil.

looking at the results so far not sure if anyone can match it with Daly, watched them against killy bass and they looked far too good. game was all over 5min into 2nd quarter. Kraska has had a good start 24 after 2 is good going. All that talk was island are the ones who can take it to daly but first round result for P.I was a bit of a shock.

I'm a Phillip Island supporter and I can only see Phillip Island being able to take Dalyston down. It's early in the season and although Dalyston notched two big wins, they weren't against great sides. KB has lost numerous players and Korumburra are playing bottom aged under 18's in their senior side because of lack of numbers. Phillip Island's round one loss was a shock and Stony Creek did play well, however Phillip Island played average, to say the least. Yet the week after they win by 120 against a reasonably strong side. I think if both teams are in form it will be a great match of football. It's early in the season, best of luck to everyone.

Very good post Rappo and it's good to see some discussion on the board.
In all honesty I'm an outsider to the league but I do keep a eye on country footy and the key discussion points involved with them.
Personally I'd much rather see those sides move if it meant survival for them, whilst it creates a more Western influence in the league it would appear they would be good inclusions to a standard that would suit them better.

In terms of your points about the final 8. Whilst I think to a degree it does create a bit of mediocrity it also eliminates the odds of having 'dead rubber' matches at the back end of the season. Wasn't it last year that the final sides were locked in three weeks before the season finished? Whilst your final 6 system seems quiet fair the final 8 system that the AFL use is also good. It can help the junior sides that are down the lower end of the ladder stay enthusiastic about their footy when they can still have a chance of making finals at the back end of the season. It generally keeps sides 7-11 fighting for those final positions and the jostling for top 4 positions cannot be underestimated due to the advantages it brings.
In terms of the logistics of having 4 matches in week one of finals if planned well I've seen it work to great success. I know a family member who was involved in a 14 team league that has this final 8 system.
They host their x2 finals on both Saturdays and Sundays at a central location where spectators can purchase admission at 1 venue and use that pass for access to the other venue if they wish to watch the other matches at the other ground, this way it encourages fans to watch a full days play.
So yes if it was planned poorly it would be difficult like your example of a game at Cowes and Foster.
Ideally you could have the Saturday finals at Meeniyan and Stony Creek and on the Sunday you could host it at Foster and Toora. Rinse and repeat for x2 clubs that are close proximity to one another.

Anyway that's just my 2 cents on the final 8 system if the league was to expand to 14 sides.

Looking at the weekend results, when was the last time the Allies defeated Korumburra Bena? Good to see them have their first victory since their recess :)

I'm a Phillip Island supporter and I can only see Phillip Island being able to take Dalyston down. It's early in the season and although Dalyston notched two big wins, they weren't against great sides. KB has lost numerous players and Korumburra are playing bottom aged under 18's in their senior side because of lack of numbers. Phillip Island's round one loss was a shock and Stony Creek did play well, however Phillip Island played average, to say the least. Yet the week after they win by 120 against a reasonably strong side. I think if both teams are in form it will be a great match of football. It's early in the season, best of luck to everyone.
So give us a season ending position for Tarwin?

Very good post Rappo and it's good to see some discussion on the board.
In all honesty I'm an outsider to the league but I do keep a eye on country footy and the key discussion points involved with them.
Personally I'd much rather see those sides move if it meant survival for them, whilst it creates a more Western influence in the league it would appear they would be good inclusions to a standard that would suit them better.

In terms of your points about the final 8. Whilst I think to a degree it does create a bit of mediocrity it also eliminates the odds of having 'dead rubber' matches at the back end of the season. Wasn't it last year that the final sides were locked in three weeks before the season finished? Whilst your final 6 system seems quiet fair the final 8 system that the AFL use is also good. It can help the junior sides that are down the lower end of the ladder stay enthusiastic about their footy when they can still have a chance of making finals at the back end of the season. It generally keeps sides 7-11 fighting for those final positions and the jostling for top 4 positions cannot be underestimated due to the advantages it brings.
In terms of the logistics of having 4 matches in week one of finals if planned well I've seen it work to great success. I know a family member who was involved in a 14 team league that has this final 8 system.
They host their x2 finals on both Saturdays and Sundays at a central location where spectators can purchase admission at 1 venue and use that pass for access to the other venue if they wish to watch the other matches at the other ground, this way it encourages fans to watch a full days play.
So yes if it was planned poorly it would be difficult like your example of a game at Cowes and Foster.
Ideally you could have the Saturday finals at Meeniyan and Stony Creek and on the Sunday you could host it at Foster and Toora. Rinse and repeat for x2 clubs that are close proximity to one another.

Anyway that's just my 2 cents on the final 8 system if the league was to expand to 14 sides.

Looking at the weekend results, when was the last time the Allies defeated Korumburra Bena? Good to see them have their first victory since their recess :)

yep would agree in theory but it seems it is just too hard for VCFL now AFL Vic and Alb FL to map a long term strategy league/area wise.

So give us a season ending position for Tarwin?
Well, it's early in the season but they opened up with a bang and a win against Bass, but so far they're definitely not one of the stronger sides. Also a loss against MDU doesn't help.
It's super early but my 2015 ladder for the seniors is:
1. Dalyston
2. Stony Creek
3. Phillip Island
4. MDU
5. Inverloch Kongwak
6. Kilcunda Bass
7. Fish Creek
8. Tarwin
9.Foster
10. Allies
11. Toora
12. Korumburra-Bena

Given that we have reached the Inter-league bye and are approximately one third of the way through the season I deemed in appropriate to objectively analyse and review the season thus far. Please share your own views based on what I have written.

Keep it civil.

DALYSTON –POS. #2

6 WINS - 0 LOSSES

At this point in the season Dalyston appear to be the benchmark team of the competition. All wins thus far been by comprehensive margins. The next month should see more comfortable victories with Phillip Island being their first major challenge of the year.

Month Ahead:

· Fish Creek (away)
· Inverloch-Kongwak (away)
· Tarwin (home)
· Phillip Island (away)

DWWWW – POS. #10

1 WIN – 5 LOSSES

Despite some large margins the Allies have displayed some competitive football at times. Scoring and fitness appear to be the team’s biggest problems at the moment. Endeavour at the football is second to none. Next month will be difficult however with consecutive games against Stony Creek and Phillip Island.

Month Ahead:

· Meeniyan-Dumbalk United (away)
· Stony Creek (away)
· Phillip Island (home)
· Toora (home)

FISH CREEK – POS. #4

5 WINS – 2 LOSSES

Fish Creek’s current position appears to be quite flattering. A favourable draw has seen them have wins against Foster, Toora, Korumburra-Bena, Inverloch-Kongwak and DWWWW. The next couple of weeks could serve as a reality check for the Kangaroos. Games against Dalyston and Phillip Island could see them heading into the bye at 5-4.

Month Ahead:

· Dalyston (home)
· Phillip Island (away)
· Bye
· Kilcunda-Bass (home)

FOSTER – POS. #7

3 WINS – 4 LOSSES

Wins against Tarwin and MDU will be essential to keeping their season going. After this month the season may open up with consecutive games against bottom end sides. Foster has had close victories against lower sides in Kilcunda-Bass and DWWWW in recent weeks. Wins will need to be more convincing moving forward for them to secure a finals berth.

Month Ahead:

· Tarwin (away)
· Meeniyan-Dumbalk United (home)
· Bye
· Stony Creek (home)

INVERLOCH-KONGWAK – POS. #6

3 WINS – 4 LOSSES

Wins against Kilcunda-Bass and MDU are necessary to keep their season alive. Dalyston will be a very difficult game to win. Dalyston blew away Inverloch in round 2. The game against MDU will be the most important for them to win heading into the bye.

Month Ahead:

· Kilcunda-Bass (away)
· Dalyston (home)
· Bye

KILCUNDA-BASS – POS. #9

1 WIN – 5 LOSSES

The game against Korumburra-Bena looms as Kilcunda-Bass’s only opportunity to have another win. Kilcunda have a hard attack on the football, but technical skill is a major drawback. Multiple wins in the next month would be a surprise.

Month Ahead:

· Inverloch-Kongwak (home)
· Korumburra-Bena (home)
· Stony Creek (away)
· Fish Creek (away)

KORUMBURRA-BENA – POS. #12

0 WINS – 7 LOSSES

Throughout the season, Korumburra-Bena has been far from competitive in matches. They appear to be an outlier at the bottom of the ladder with all other clubs streets ahead of them. The game against Toora, in round 10, looks to be their first opportunity to win a game.

Month Ahead:

· Phillip Island (home)
· Kilcunda-Bass (away)
· Toora (away)
· Bye

MEENIYAN-DUMBALK UNITED – POS. #8

3 WINS - 3 LOSSES

The next month sees MDU taking on sides around the same mark as themselves. The rest of season will depend on how well they can compete in these games. Matches against Foster, Inverloch and Tarwin serve as potential 8 point victories and help sure up a finals spot midway through the season.

Winning 3 of the next 4 to go 6-4 could get there season going. However losses here would be enough to finish their season.

Month Ahead:

· DWWWW (home)
· Foster (away)
· Tarwin (home)

PHILLIP ISLAND – POS. #3

6 WINS – 1 LOSS

All of Phillip Island’s six wins have included some impressive margins with their only loss being four goals against Stony Creek. The month ahead for Phillip Island leave them in a good position to go 9-1. Dalyston looms as a benchmarking game for Phillip Island.

Month Ahead:

· Korumburra-Bena (away)
· Fish Creek (home)
· DWWWW (away)
· Dalyston (home)

STONY CREEK – POS. #1

7 WINS – 0 LOSSES

An easy month ahead could potentially see Stony Creek go to 11-0 and give themselves a very good opportunity to sure up a top two spot. Following these next four rounds Stony Creek have a bye and will head into the final seven rounds with fresh bodies.

Stony Creek will not play Dalyston until round 14 when they host them at the racecourse.

Month Ahead:

· Toora (away)
· DWWWW (home)
· Kilcunda-Bass (home)
· Foster (away)

TARWIN – POS. #5

3 WINS – 3 LOSSES

This is a team that can lack consistency at times through bad decision making. Close losses to MDU and Stony Creek could easily have seen Tarwin at 5-1. If Tarwin can maintain some form they could possibly win 3 out of their next 4.

Dalyston will be a massive challenge. They will need to be at least competitive in this match if they want to be taken seriously as a finals contender.

Month Ahead:

· Foster (home)
· Toora (home)
· Dalyston (away)

TOORA – POS. #11

1 WIN – 5 LOSSES

A solitary win against DWWWW has seen Toora failing to make an impact this season. The month ahead gives them a fair opportunity to possibly win 2 out of their next 4. Defeats have been by large margins and the season would seem to be lost after only 6 rounds.

Month Ahead:

· Stony Creek (home)
· Tarwin (away)
· Korumburra-Bena (home)
· DWWWW (away)

FINALS BOUND
· Dalyston
· Phillip Island
· Stony Creek

IN THE MIX
· Fish Creek
· Foster
· Inverloch-Kongwak
· Meeniyan-Dumbalk United
· Tarwin

SEASON OVER ALREADY
· DWWWW
· Kilcunda-Bass
· Korumburra-Bena
· Toora

In regards to teams switching leagues, I think the whole structure in Gippsland needs another look. You're right about the imbalance between east and west, but it's more due to the size of the towns and who they can draw from rather than location.

That imbalance is a lot more severe in the Ellinbank league where the western teams are within 15 mins of suburban Melbourne while eastern teams are from towns without pubs.

There's a band of teams from Phillip Island through Killy, Korrumburra that are going to grow a lot faster than the eastern Alberton teams. The imbalance is going to get more before it gets less. Maybe they should be cleaved off and play against the south-western teams from EDFL?

IK, DWWW, Toora, Stony Creek, Foster, MDU, Tarwin, Stony Creek, Fish Creek, would be what's left as a 9 team comp with top 4. I think you could even get Yarram back into the league. Furthest drive 100km (down from 150km) in a genuine Alberton based league.

The other league would be PI, KBass, KBena, Poowong, Catani, Nyora, Lang Lang, Dalyston. Furthest drive, 71km.

Other smaller teams in Ellinbank like Nilma and Ellinbank could join Mid Gippy and the league could change its name to West Gippsland.

Given that we have reached the Inter-league bye and are approximately one third of the way through the season I deemed in appropriate to objectively analyse and review the season thus far. Please share your own views based on what I have written.

Keep it civil.

DALYSTON –POS. #2

6 WINS - 0 LOSSES

At this point in the season Dalyston appear to be the benchmark team of the competition. All wins thus far been by comprehensive margins. The next month should see more comfortable victories with Phillip Island being their first major challenge of the year.

Month Ahead:

· Fish Creek (away)
· Tarwin (home)
· Phillip Island (away)

DWWWW – POS. #10

1 WIN – 5 LOSSES

Despite some large margins the Allies have displayed some competitive football at times. Scoring and fitness appear to be the team’s biggest problems at the moment. Endeavour at the football is second to none. Next month will be difficult however with consecutive games against Stony Creek and Phillip Island.

Month Ahead:

· Stony Creek (away)
· Phillip Island (home)
· Toora (home)

FISH CREEK – POS. #4

5 WINS – 2 LOSSES

Fish Creek’s current position appears to be quite flattering. A favourable draw has seen them have wins against Foster, Toora, Korumburra-Bena, Inverloch-Kongwak and DWWWW. The next couple of weeks could serve as a reality check for the Kangaroos. Games against Dalyston and Phillip Island could see them heading into the bye at 5-4.

Month Ahead:

· Dalyston (home)
· Phillip Island (away)
· Bye
· Kilcunda-Bass (home)

FOSTER – POS. #7

3 WINS – 4 LOSSES

Wins against Tarwin and MDU will be essential to keeping their season going. After this month the season may open up with consecutive games against bottom end sides. Foster has had close victories against lower sides in Kilcunda-Bass and DWWWW in recent weeks. Wins will need to be more convincing moving forward for them to secure a finals berth.

Month Ahead:

· Tarwin (away)
· Bye
· Stony Creek (home)

3 WINS – 4 LOSSES

Wins against Kilcunda-Bass and MDU are necessary to keep their season alive. Dalyston will be a very difficult game to win. Dalyston blew away Inverloch in round 2. The game against MDU will be the most important for them to win heading into the bye.

Month Ahead:

· Kilcunda-Bass (away)
· Dalyston (home)
· Bye

KILCUNDA-BASS – POS. #9

1 WIN – 5 LOSSES

The game against Korumburra-Bena looms as Kilcunda-Bass’s only opportunity to have another win. Kilcunda have a hard attack on the football, but technical skill is a major drawback. Multiple wins in the next month would be a surprise.

Month Ahead:

· Korumburra-Bena (home)
· Stony Creek (away)
· Fish Creek (away)

0 WINS – 7 LOSSES

Throughout the season, Korumburra-Bena has been far from competitive in matches. They appear to be an outlier at the bottom of the ladder with all other clubs streets ahead of them. The game against Toora, in round 10, looks to be their first opportunity to win a game.

Month Ahead:

· Phillip Island (home)
· Kilcunda-Bass (away)
· Toora (away)
· Bye

3 WINS - 3 LOSSES

The next month sees MDU taking on sides around the same mark as themselves. The rest of season will depend on how well they can compete in these games. Matches against Foster, Inverloch and Tarwin serve as potential 8 point victories and help sure up a finals spot midway through the season.

Winning 3 of the next 4 to go 6-4 could get there season going. However losses here would be enough to finish their season.

Month Ahead:

· DWWWW (home)
· Foster (away)
· Tarwin (home)

PHILLIP ISLAND – POS. #3

6 WINS – 1 LOSS

All of Phillip Island’s six wins have included some impressive margins with their only loss being four goals against Stony Creek. The month ahead for Phillip Island leave them in a good position to go 9-1. Dalyston looms as a benchmarking game for Phillip Island.

Month Ahead:

· Korumburra-Bena (away)
· Fish Creek (home)
· DWWWW (away)
· Dalyston (home)

STONY CREEK – POS. #1

7 WINS – 0 LOSSES

An easy month ahead could potentially see Stony Creek go to 11-0 and give themselves a very good opportunity to sure up a top two spot. Following these next four rounds Stony Creek have a bye and will head into the final seven rounds with fresh bodies.

Stony Creek will not play Dalyston until round 14 when they host them at the racecourse.

Month Ahead:

· Toora (away)
· DWWWW (home)
· Kilcunda-Bass (home)
· Foster (away)

TARWIN – POS. #5

3 WINS – 3 LOSSES

This is a team that can lack consistency at times through bad decision making. Close losses to MDU and Stony Creek could easily have seen Tarwin at 5-1. If Tarwin can maintain some form they could possibly win 3 out of their next 4.

Dalyston will be a massive challenge. They will need to be at least competitive in this match if they want to be taken seriously as a finals contender.

Month Ahead:

· Foster (home)
· Toora (home)
· Dalyston (away)

TOORA – POS. #11

1 WIN – 5 LOSSES

A solitary win against DWWWW has seen Toora failing to make an impact this season. The month ahead gives them a fair opportunity to possibly win 2 out of their next 4. Defeats have been by large margins and the season would seem to be lost after only 6 rounds.

Month Ahead:

· Stony Creek (home)
· Tarwin (away)
· Korumburra-Bena (home)
· DWWWW (away)

FINALS BOUND
· Dalyston
· Phillip Island
· Stony Creek

IN THE MIX
· Fish Creek
· Foster
· Inverloch-Kongwak
· Tarwin

SEASON OVER ALREADY
· DWWWW
· Kilcunda-Bass
· Korumburra-Bena
· Toora

I agree with a lot of what you have said although I think you are overrating inverloch but also under rating fish creek. You have fish creek in the same category as foster and inverloch who they have beaten by 10 and 15 goals respectively and still have 5 key players to come back from injury over the next month.
Dalyston are definitely the team to beat. It will be interesting how stony hold up over the whole season doesn't seem like they have a whole lot of depth but the draw of the bottom 6 they get is a blessing for them

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Keep it civil.

DALYSTON –POS. #2

6 WINS - 0 LOSSES

Month Ahead:

· Fish Creek (away)
· Tarwin (home)
· Phillip Island (away)

DWWWW – POS. #10

1 WIN – 5 LOSSES

Month Ahead:

· Stony Creek (away)
· Phillip Island (home)
· Toora (home)

FISH CREEK – POS. #4

5 WINS – 2 LOSSES

Month Ahead:

· Dalyston (home)
· Phillip Island (away)
· Bye
· Kilcunda-Bass (home)

FOSTER – POS. #7

3 WINS – 4 LOSSES

Month Ahead:

· Tarwin (away)
· Bye
· Stony Creek (home)

3 WINS – 4 LOSSES

Month Ahead:

· Kilcunda-Bass (away)
· Dalyston (home)
· Bye

KILCUNDA-BASS – POS. #9

1 WIN – 5 LOSSES

Month Ahead:

· Korumburra-Bena (home)
· Stony Creek (away)
· Fish Creek (away)

0 WINS – 7 LOSSES

Month Ahead:

· Phillip Island (home)
· Kilcunda-Bass (away)
· Toora (away)
· Bye

3 WINS - 3 LOSSES

Month Ahead:

· DWWWW (home)
· Foster (away)
· Tarwin (home)

PHILLIP ISLAND – POS. #3

6 WINS – 1 LOSS

Month Ahead:

· Korumburra-Bena (away)
· Fish Creek (home)
· DWWWW (away)
· Dalyston (home)

STONY CREEK – POS. #1

7 WINS – 0 LOSSES

Month Ahead:

· Toora (away)
· DWWWW (home)
· Kilcunda-Bass (home)
· Foster (away)

TARWIN – POS. #5

3 WINS – 3 LOSSES

Month Ahead:

· Foster (home)
· Toora (home)
· Dalyston (away)

TOORA – POS. #11

1 WIN – 5 LOSSES

Month Ahead:

· Stony Creek (home)
· Tarwin (away)
· Korumburra-Bena (home)
· DWWWW (away)

FINALS BOUND
· Dalyston
· Phillip Island
· Stony Creek

IN THE MIX
· Fish Creek
· Foster
· Inverloch-Kongwak
· Tarwin

SEASON OVER ALREADY
· DWWWW
· Kilcunda-Bass
· Korumburra-Bena
· Toora

Looks pretty accurate to me, Kor-Bena don't have much depth as they are playing a very young side, however there are some promising footballers. The actual draw this year has very little to no depth as there are realistically on three teams in the mix for a grand final placing (early in the season I know but looking at the stats its starting to look that way). It'll be interesting to see who battles it out for the 3 other spots in the six. I'd say Fish Creek, MDU and Foster. Bass can play some good footy at times but they lack the fitness in some ways also. It's been a good season so far and can't wait to see how the rest of it pans out.

How many will Liam Jurrah kick this week? Not a bad coup by the Panthers to get these three boys to dominate against the bottom side.

Greetings all,

Headed to our first ever Alberton FL game yesterday to see Dalyston play Tarwin. Have only followed a few scores this year as we stay in the area on occasions and always pass Dalyston's ground...and we still have to go to one of their dances at the hall.

As far as the games went, the Tarwin 2nds were caught kicking into a gale in the first quarter and found themselves the best part of nine goals down at quarter time. The wind was still solid throughout the game but Dalyston were too good and the two teams toyed with a 100-point margin for the last 7-8 minutes. Got to tell visitors that the half time break is more than five minutes tho. A quick visit and then to the canteen and it was already four minutes into the third!! ;-)

Main game saw Dalyston break out to a 5.1 - 0.0 early lead kicking into the wind and Tarwin didn't have an early answer to the home sides switching of play. Once they got a handle on it (credit to the coaching staff and the players) the visitors were far more competitive and all but matched the home side in the second half, tho for mine it was on the back of some very generous umpiring that saw the Sharks have about a 12-0 free kick count until a teenage boundary umpire had the temerity to call a centre infringement at the 21 minute mark of the fourth. Tarwin did however play a much better standard of footy in the second half than they did the first. Did like the umpiring when a scuffle threatened to be an all-in where the umpire threw the ball up and play continued - the scuffle dispersed as the footy was chased. Have always wanted them to do that in the AFL.

An enjoyable afternoon out. Loved seeing the amount of people around the place both for the football and the netball, and drove home past the ground today to see another load of cars and more games going on. Won't be the last time we venture to an Alberton game.

Question and I'm sure some will think it crazy - why is Dalyston where they areas a club? Good club culture? Money? Looking around it can't be the population but I'm guessing they have a few people based in Wonthaggi associated with the club.

Wonthaggi rovers used to have all the juniors from the area while blues had none due to travel. Daly have taken rovers spot and got some good juniors out of it. Also got a good coach in and good people around the club, splashed some cash too and here they are. No such thing as certainties in footy but they're close to

What's everyone's thoughts on finals?

Think stony to beat IK in a close one then Fishy to beat MDU by 4 goals tomorrow. Should both be good games, pity no1 will go to today's game due to travel

Does anybody rate Fish Creek as a chance against P.I this week? Accounted for Stony pretty easily on Sunday.
Also missed the Daly v P.I clash on Saturday, heard P.I were using some interesting tactics and there was plenty of heat in the game - few key players targeted I was told

Few comments have been a bit over the top. I know it's different comparing Afl to minor leagues but if Barry hall got 6-7 then 4 for that is fair I think, suspended sentences are the biggest load of BS it's pretty hard to get reported. Seen a lot of cheap sucker punches and umps will pay free kick most times, send off sometimes but report very rarely, they need to start reporting people for it or it'll keep happening, this bloke and the ruckman for PI have form in this stuff. Heard the crowds behavior to all the PI players was disgusting also, no excuse for spitting on guys who weren't involved (or those who were for that matter)

You say a few comments are over the top. Ultimately this weak prick received 2wks for a 'king hit'. You really think that's a fair suspension. If so you need a reality check. Comparing the incident to others doesn't hold water because majority of tribunals are a joke, AFL being the mother of all things fail when it comes to the tribunal. So leaving any other incident out of this, it's worth 8-12wks.

Intent to smash him in the jaw, from behind, pre meditated, and hit the mark he was aiming for. You say you've seen a lot of sucker punches, I guarantee you haven't seen many like that hit on Fisher. VCFL need to not only step in and sought out the suspension but, go hard at the tribunal that sat the case and give them the arse. If that tribunal (group of fools) think that's worth 2wks they should be booted off that panel.

Disgusting act, disgraceful decision!

Few comments over the top meaning "should be banned for life" etc.
I never said 2 weeks was fair if you can read, I said 4, you can definitely compare similar incidents with the league tribunal to know what a fair penalty is, as I said that hit was nowhere near as bad as Halls, ball was there, hit came from the side I would say more so than behind and he could argue "accidental" (even though we'd all disagree) as that sort of swinging arm late tackle happens quite often in games, usually hitting a player around the ribs rather than the head, which it seems in this case was deliberate.
My sucker punch was referring to general punches/hits to the head that umpires let slide and I agree none of the ones I was referring to that I've seen were as bad as the Fisher incident.
I'm also a neutral supporter in this case and I get the feeling you aren't

Fair to say there is not much love for PI at the moment. Hopefully Fishy can fix them up so they can have a crack at Dalyston by playing footy rather than going the knuckle (or the gouge).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back